Comments

• davie24
    davie24 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Recruitment website.
    http://www.tesco-careers.com
  • Polak
    Polak Posts: 8 Forumite
    You are cleaning up spilt yoghurt that, if left, could be dangerous for customers. A customer asks you to help them to take their shopping to the checkout.

Answer A: Tell the customer that you cannot help them because if the spilt yoghurt is not cleaned up it could cause an accident.
    Answer B: Ask the customer to wait while you find someone else to finish cleaning up the spilt yoghurt so that you can assist the customer.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you would be happy to help them with their shopping once you have finished cleaning up the spilt yoghurt. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

I dunno about this surely if you go to find someone else to clean it then in the mean time a customer might slip on it. I also have tried the application a few times and not passed it. I think a lot of the questions could more than one answer, it is stupid.

*Question 16
    You are working at the checkout and have a queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Answer A: Continue scanning the rest of the customer’s shopping as you have other customers waiting.
    Answer B: Finish the sale but tell the customer that if they speak to Customer Services they can be refunded the amount that they were owed.
    Answer C: Apologise to the queue of waiting customers and alert your line manager to correct the price of the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

Again here the Joe said he answered C but in the question it says the line manager is busy so I think B would be better. Well he says he got the job anyway [or she]

*Question 17
    You are shopping on behalf of a customer that has ordered online. One member of your team is away so you are busier than normal. You only have a short time before the order is due to be loaded in to the van. As you are about to take the order to the van a customer approaches you with a question about returning an item.

Answer A: Put the order safely to one side and walk with the customer to where the return can be made.
    Answer B: Tell the customer where returns can be made and that a colleague will be able to help them.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you are not able to assist with returned items and that they should find a manager. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

Does it make sense to go with them if you have to hurry up and get your order done. Is it not more sensible to tell them where they need to go? Apparently Joe got the job by answering A but it seems like that is not really the best option here.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2012 at 4:37PM
    Polak wrote: »
    You are cleaning up spilt yoghurt that, if left, could be dangerous for customers. A customer asks you to help them to take their shopping to the checkout.

Answer A: Tell the customer that you cannot help them because if the spilt yoghurt is not cleaned up it could cause an accident.
    Answer B: Ask the customer to wait while you find someone else to finish cleaning up the spilt yoghurt so that you can assist the customer.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you would be happy to help them with their shopping once you have finished cleaning up the spilt yoghurt. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

I dunno about this surely if you go to find someone else to clean it then in the mean time a customer might slip on it. I also have tried the application a few times and not passed it. I think a lot of the questions could more than one answer, it is stupid.

*Question 16
    You are working at the checkout and have a queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Answer A: Continue scanning the rest of the customer’s shopping as you have other customers waiting.
    Answer B: Finish the sale but tell the customer that if they speak to Customer Services they can be refunded the amount that they were owed.
    Answer C: Apologise to the queue of waiting customers and alert your line manager to correct the price of the product. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

Again here the Joe said he answered C but in the question it says the line manager is busy so I think B would be better. Well he says he got the job anyway [or she]

*Question 17
    You are shopping on behalf of a customer that has ordered online. One member of your team is away so you are busier than normal. You only have a short time before the order is due to be loaded in to the van. As you are about to take the order to the van a customer approaches you with a question about returning an item.

Answer A: Put the order safely to one side and walk with the customer to where the return can be made.
    Answer B: Tell the customer where returns can be made and that a colleague will be able to help them.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that you are not able to assist with returned items and that they should find a manager. Required! Select Answer Answer A Answer B Answer C

Does it make sense to go with them if you have to hurry up and get your order done. Is it not more sensible to tell them where they need to go? Apparently Joe got the job by answering A but it seems like that is not really the best option here.

Is there a point to your post whilst dragging up an old thread.

first question is A

question 16 is B

question 17 would be either A or B as it depends how far away you have to go to the customer service desk, we're told to take the customer to the product but if its something I cant answer then I pass them over to another colleague from the relevant dept, ill make myself a badge saying "I don't stock the dam shelves and my handset doesn'tgive prices"
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    I don't know all these screening questions they ask you. I can remember a few years ago Tesco's would have had to literally kidnap you off the street to come and work for them:eek:
  • Polak
    Polak Posts: 8 Forumite
    Well different times now. Way more competition and people than there are jobs in this country. I failed the screening again by the way. I have done just about all the combinations now [except for the obvious questions that I give the same reply to]. I feel so dirty trying so hard to get a job at Tesco I mean, it's just Tesco. Yet as a student I really need a job right and I'm upset since the one I just applied to was the closest Tesco to me [15 minute walk away].
  • fleesaurus
    fleesaurus Posts: 46 Forumite
    Unfair to applicants who apply without outside help.
  • JoeLowe did you get through the screening in the end? I am in the situation you were, and have been rejected twice. Am starting to thing I must be really thick!!!
  • Ha I couldn't work out what to say to this, and I didn't get the job, don't know if this is the reason I didn't get the job:

Question 2: You have been serving at the checkout during your shift. It has been a quiet morning and the store has not had many customers. There is no customers waiting to be served at your checkout. A customer on the checkout next to you is struggling to pack their shopping.

Answer A: Leave your checkout and help the customer to pack their shopping
    Answer B: Find a colleague to help the customer to pack their shopping
    Answer C: Take the opportunity to have your break while there are no customers to serve

I answered A, but sounds like this may be bad,

There is another,

Question 3: You are refilling shelves when you notice a customer putting products in a bag that they are carrying rather than in a bag that they are carrying rather than a basket or a trolley. The customer could be intending to pay for the products at the checkout but you are unsure.

Answer A: Do not approach the customer and assume that they will pay for the items when they get to the checkout
    Answer B: Go and tell a colleague what the customer is doing and that you think they are shoplifting
    Answer C: Make the customer aware of the staff presence in the store by approaching them and asking if they would like any help.

I answered C to this, seems right but now I didn't get any job I am starting to feel insecure.

another not too sure:
    Question 4: You are just about to go on your lunch break. A customer asks you to help them with their shopping. Helping the customer will mean taking a shorter lunch break.

Answer A: Quickly tell the customer where the main products are and go on to take your lunch break.
    Answer B: Help the customer with their shopping and ask your manager if the time of your lunch hour can be changed to later because you were helping a customer.
    Answer C: Tell the customer that they should find another member of staff to help as you are about to take your lunch break.

I answered B, but now that I didn't get the job I again am feeling insecure.
  • To all those who think any answers in the options may apply, if you spend time on thinking upon them then NO they don't AT ALL apply. I agree with all answers of pawsies on the FIRST PAGE of this post except her answers to Questions 1, 6 and 16. My answers to those questions would be:

Question 1. A

Option B is blunt and outright rude to your Manager, and you always need to have a CAN-DO attitude as you will be taught about any job role. If you don't, not only will you be kicked out of TESCO but any type of job.

Option C means that section of shelves will be left EMPTY! Do you expect TESCO to be okay with the shelves of the store left EMPTY while the stock is PRESENT and it was supposed to be FILLED as part of your duty on the day, and the CUSTOMERS who come looking for the items find the shelves EMPTY? TESCO the business and company suffers a loss in its sale.

That is why Option A seems to be the answer for me as that is the catch. If you notice, that is why they even stress in option A, and ask if a colleague can finish refilling the section, while you take your break.

Question 6. A

Why not C? Again the CAN-DO attitude and not the CANNOT-DO attitude.

Question 16. A

Why not C? Again the catch is in the question, "The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query."

Do you distract the line manager away from a Customer he is already dealing with so that Customer is ignored now and this one is not? Instead, you can be handling BOTH Customers at same time with option A, i.e. you CONTINUE scanning rest of the customer's shopping instead of wasting time waiting for line manager to be done. REMEMBER option A does not say you FINISH and send that Customer home as Option B says, but rather gives the idea you don't stand there doing nothing wasting time, nor disturb another Customer from being dealt with, but CONTINUE with rest of scanning and in that time it is very well possible the Line Manager is DONE with handling the other Customer's query. THEN you can bring the matter to attention of the Line Manager once he is done. This limits the delay and annoyance for the long que, and every Customer has been attended to.

If you pay attention to all other questions and their answers, all of them have a catch in them the same way.
  • cb1979
    cb1979 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi i have recently been applying for various jobs, all seem to have these type of questions

I think maybe when people do these online tests have a couple of friends round when you do it,

I applied for an advertised driving job with Tesco's that was advertised as shifts earliest start 8am, latest finish 11pm

I went to the interview and thought it went ok, had to fill in a form asking what shifts i was available for,so i ticked early and late shifts,left the nights box blank

I recieved a letter 2 days later to say i was not suitable to work for tescos

The next week i recieved a telephone call from Tesco's inviting me to go for an interview

I eplanined to the woman that i had already been rejected by Tesco's,to which she replyed she was not aware of me ever being interviewed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure