Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback

Comments

• Catslovelycats
    Catslovelycats Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 December 2015 at 4:01PM
    Been waiting 11 days since signing up and nothing happening on my new account set up. Waiting for someone to get back to me with an update!

Update: they had created 2 accounts for me yet neither had been activated beyond setting up the DD. Doesn't bode well...
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Been waiting 11 days since signing up and nothing happening on my new account set up. Waiting for someone to get back to me with an update!

Update: they had created 2 accounts for me yet neither had been activated beyond setting up the DD. Doesn't bode well...
    Same happened with me. I had to chase them up at every step. Even the simultaneous provision of phone and broadband on the same day failed, which I had to get them to sort out. Fortunately, the staff on the Live Chat do seem very knowledgable.

I needed the swicth to complete quickly as my previous supplier was raising the prices and I only had 30 days to intiate a switch, which had almost expired at this point.

Not sure when/if I'll ever hear anything about my £75 cashback though...!
  • JimU
    JimU Posts: 11 Forumite
    I signed-up for PlusNet via MSE £75 cash-back deal on 6th November.

For a communications provider PlusNet's customer communication has been very poor so far.

Had an e-mail to say switch-over is today/tomorrow but no PlusNet router has arrived yet and 'My Account' still says progress is 'line being tested' (that's not changed for weeks). Be interesting to see if the switch-over actually happens.

One of my main reasons for changing was wanting to be with a UK based company, but now I'm beginning to think I should have just stayed with TalkTalk.
  • ajmcg_2
    ajmcg_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    How can anyone continue to recommend Plusnet?

My phone line was connected on the promised date of 23 November and my router was delivered well before the scheduled broadband installation date of 24 November. This date came and went so on 25 November I tried to contact Plusnet. Firstly I tried telephone support and decided to wait the fifteen minutes they said it would take for my call to be answered. I hung up after 33 minutes and tried their chatline. I got the online message every two minutes which started off by telling me I was 14th in the queue. Someone eventually "spoke" to me after 41 minutes. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I was told that "someone had cancelled my order". I was promised that it would be reinstated and I was given a new installation date of 3 December. I received a confirmation email to this effect and was told to plug my router in and wit for the light to turn green. If I had been stupid enough to follow this patently wrong instruction I would have been without broad band for approximately two weeks. Anyway, 3 November came and went so I again tried to make contact with Plusnet and met the same problems with their telephone support and online chat. This time I thought that I'd be smart and try them both at the same time and tried to make contact on 4 December. The online chat won after 25 minutes and I eventually received the message that "someone had cancelled my broadband installation". I was again promised a new order would be placed and my broadband would be installed "within two weeks". As I never received the confirmation email which I had received when the previous orders were supposedly placed I made contact again on 5 December. This time I though that I was going to get through very quickly on the phone as the phone message was that my call would be answered shortly. What a lie! I gave up after more than 30 minutes and reverted to the online chat. The first attempt, made at 10.00 a.m. failed because that particular part of their website said that they didn't open until 9.00 a.m. (No! I haven't mistyped any times!) i therefore became sneaky and contacted them via a different part of the site and they passed me over to the "Orders Department" which quickly ascertained that no order had been placed. The girl that I dealt with was good and she told me that there was a "tag" on the line which BT must have put there and which was stopping the transfer. (In the meantime BT contacted me by email and thanked me for my new order for broadband at a cost of £33.34 per month!) An enquiry has been forwarded to BT by Plusnet but this can take up to 48 working hours (whatever that is in layman's terms) to be dealt with. I have been told by Plusnet that the fault lies with BT and they won't compensate me for any extra costs. On the other hand BT says that Plusnet are at fault. What do I do? I've paid my telephone rental up front for 12 months and I've been told that if I decide to move to a more reliable supplier I will oose this money in spite of the fact that I feel that Plusnet are in breach of contract.

On the subject of the phone I signed up for one extra at a cost of £4.00 per month. This was to block calls from withheld numbers. Since starting this I have received two calls where the I have been given the message which includes the phrase "we do not have their number". Wht am I paying for?

To conclude: DON'T MOVE TO PLUSNET
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ajmcg wrote: »

On the subject of the phone I signed up for one extra at a cost of £4.00 per month. This was to block calls from withheld numbers. Since starting this I have received two calls where the I have been given the message which includes the phrase "we do not have their number". Wht am I paying for?

That message is given when a number hasn't been supplied by the other end rather than being withheld.

A withheld number will say "The caller withheld their number" when you do 1471, I would imagine the service only blocks these as not presenting a CLI number isn't technically "withheld."
  • In response to your request for feedback about the deal for PlusNet, sadly I have not had the best experience. Signed up after much persuading of husband (as he is self employed and obviously uses for work and was concerned that he would lose service) paid line rental up front and for broadband and eve and weekend calls and £6.99 P&P for the router. Got a letter to say what we had ordered and a text to say all will be transferred today (8 December) Great so far. Slightly concerned when no router had arrived by yesterday but after a call to 0800 number said the wait would be in excess of one hour didn't have that long to wait. Awoke this morning to no internet (to be fair with BT that is not an unusual occurrence but the usual reset did not work) Had to wait until 9am for that part of the business to open despite the site saying 8am to 8pm to be told after a half an hour in the queue that their system had not worked properly and the router had not even been dispatched. The girl said our current router could not be configured to work with them (so don't know what would have happened had we not taken their router option as it didn't say at any point during the order that our router may not work) The best they could offer in way of compensation was to refund the £6.99 router P&P charge (but couldn't speed up its delivery, apparently never heard of same day and next day delivery), so we are now without internet for 3 days. Asked if we could at least have a months free line rental to be told the system wasn't set up to allow that. Asked to speak to a supervisor only to be told they were not available and that we could request a call back but the girl said she doubted that they would! :mad:
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Trickyann wrote: »
    Got a letter to say what we had ordered and a text to say all will be transferred today (8 December) Great so far.

Has your phone line transferred over to PlusNet?
    The girl said our current router could not be configured to work with them

You seem to be saying you were with BT? What router are you currently using as most Home Hubs can be configured to wrok with PlusNet.

Also have you signed up to ordinary BB or fibre?
  • Hi,

Yes the phone appears to be working and I did receive a text about that. Although we were with BT the router was our own a Belkin one I think (not in view of it atm) Since my initial post I have received a text to say "your router is in the post, it'll arrive in a few days. We'll text you again when your broadband is ready please don't set up your router until then" So still no actual date we will have broadband. (self employed husband not happy)
  • Sorry missed the last part - ordinary broadband - if only we could get anything else. Rural area - exchange not unbundled = mainly rubbish deals at high prices hence taking this what appeared to be a reasonable price for 12 months and reputed good service!
  • JimU
    JimU Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2015 at 6:46PM
    Following-on from my post above I had exactly the same issue yesterday .. broadband moved to PlusNet (from TalkTalk) but no router had been sent.

I spent 35 mins on-hold before speaking to someone in PlusNet's customer services team. I got an apology and confirmation that no no router had been ordered.

They've ordered me a router (1 to 2 days delivery apparently) and suddenly I had a mass of 'status update' e-mails!.

Fortunately I've managed to configure my TalkTalk router to work with the PlusNet line until the new router arrives.

To be honest when I finally got through to them the guy was really helpful, but I shouldn't have to waste an hour of my evening to chase them-up to complete one of their sales.

I was promised a call-back today for a status update (I asked for it) but that hasn't happened. UPDATE: I've just has this call-back, they did keep their promise!

Not sure if I'm regretting the move to PlusNet just yet, if the connection is reliable (so I don't have to call them very often) I think I'll be fine. I'd not recommend them to anyone else based on my experience.

Perhaps before we change providers we should call the new supplier Customer Services to check 'on-hold' time before signing-up ... but I suspect if we did that we'd never move!

Jim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport