The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

handy man quote

hi we have just moved into a house and got a quote form a handy man for 4 jobs we need doing and unsure how to do ourselves, he quoted £155 approx for repairing a new toilet handle, radiator dial fell off, letter box replacement and front and back door lock change.
He has told us to get the told for this job, the letterbox is basically snapped at the back where the post comes in inside the black piece has gone, is it a new letterbox?

thanks

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like a new letterbox is needed, yes. Doesn't sound too bad depending in the lock types - upvc type euro locks are very cheap - go for a decent known brand if you have a choice.

Radiator and toilet handle could be DIY jobs, have a look on Youtube?
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • ktcoil
    ktcoil Posts: 559
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks for that.
  • Take some advice from someone who picks locks for a hobby, you get what you pay for (unless you buy MasterLock which are notoriously bad even for the more expensive ones). Make sure to get ones with anti-snap and preferably anti drill pins. Anti bump and anti pick are to protect against a more sophisticated attacker. Assa and Abloy are good brands.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Make sure to get ones with anti-snap and preferably anti drill pins. Anti bump and anti pick are to protect against a more sophisticated attacker. Assa and Abloy are good brands.

This is worth repeating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport