IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC 'Driver left site'

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    SamPerry wrote: »
    Ok. I have re-edited it again leaving in the basic facts and no first person. I appreciate the advice and please do tell me if you feel it's still wrong.

Last paragraph, middle line, still uses first person singular.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake
    Thanks for the advice and replies so far. Having read through them am I best therefore to do the following:

Contact the site owner now to explain the circumstances and ask them to have the ticket cancelled.

Send the appeal from the template in the newbies thread after 26days.

Many thanks again.

Correct on both counts. Just make sure you don't miss the appeal deadline.
  • SamPerry
    SamPerry Posts: 18 Forumite
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Last paragraph, middle line, still uses first person singular.
    Missed that. Have removed paragraph as it's irrelevant anyway. Thanks again.
  • SamPerry
    Correct on both counts. Just make sure you don't miss the appeal deadline.
    Appeal must be within 28days according to the ticket so I'll send an email on day 26. Is that ok or can they claim it's too late if they don't read it until after 28 days?
  • SamPerry
    Additionally, having just viewed he photos on their website of this PCN there are no photos suggesting that any occupant of the car left the site as claimed. Should they not be posting the photos backing up their claims as well as those showing a ticket was attached to the car and a sign was visible regarding the rules?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Appeal must be within 28days according to the ticket so I'll send an email on day 26. Is that ok or can they claim it's too late if they don't read it until after 28 days?

Once it's dated, that's it. You can't budget for what any PPC might or might not do, but I think you're looking for problems that probably won't happen.

Make sure you follow the instructions of the PPC for sending the appeal. If they say email is OK, then do it that way. They may say only online via their website. Do whatever the NtK says.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Additionally, having just viewed he photos on their website of this PCN there are no photos suggesting that any occupant of the car left the site as claimed. Should they not be posting the photos backing up their claims as well as those showing a ticket was attached to the car and a sign was visible regarding the rules?

That will be something you ask them to prove at PoPLA. Since they don't (shouldn't) know the identity of the driver, they can't prove that random people in a photo includes the driver. They would need video evidence of someone driving in, getting out of the driver's seat of the vehicle in question, and continuous footage of that person all the way beyond the site boundary.
    They would also have to prove where the site boundary was.

By doing all of this they would shoot themselves in the foot by proving they failed to mitigate their loss. They would also not be able to prove that the person driving is in fact the keeper.

Personally I would be asking why a random person was filming children, but that's just me being awkward. I do not believe however that any such video footage exists, and if it did they would have to prove that it's use for parking management complied with ICO requirements.

As above, you are overthinking this.

You challenge something, it is up to them to prove the opposite.
  • SamPerry
    That will be something you ask them to prove at PoPLA. Since they don't (shouldn't) know the identity of the driver, they can't prove that random people in a photo includes the driver. They would need video evidence of someone driving in, getting out of the driver's seat of the vehicle in question, and continuous footage of that person all the way beyond the site boundary.
    They would also have to prove where the site boundary was.

By doing all of this they would shoot themselves in the foot by proving they failed to mitigate their loss. They would also not be able to prove that the person driving is in fact the keeper.

Personally I would be asking why a random person was filming children, but that's just me being awkward. I do not believe however that any such video footage exists, and if it did they would have to prove that it's use for parking management complied with ICO requirements.

As above, you are overthinking this.

You challenge something, it is up to them to prove the opposite.

I very much appreciate the feedback from yourself and the others who have replied. It's a great help and I shall follow it. I'll write to the sites managment tomorrow and have set a reminder to appeal on day 26 if I get nowhere with the site owner.

Thanks again.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    'Leaving the site' is one of the shakiest grounds for pursuing a 'parking' charge by any PPC. In my view it's a major 'try-on' and anyone who fights back will win this easily (as long as there are no admissions).

This is the PPC trying to pick the very lowest hanging fruit. Those who are daft enough to pay will do just fine, thank you very much!

To my knowledge - and I'm on here virtually every day and for the past 4 years - not one PPC has dared take one of these to the county court after Judge McIlwaine ripped VCS and Miss Coates a new one each during the Ibbotson case!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    I very much appreciate the feedback from yourself and the others who have replied. It's a great help and I shall follow it. I'll write to the sites managment tomorrow and have set a reminder to appeal on day 26 if I get nowhere with the site owner.

Thanks again.

Don't forget to try more than one retailer. They may have the same deal as the one near me were any manager can cancel a ticket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business