Medicine scam: Umaxx's Ubiquinone

Options
Got this through the mail today:

US MEDICINE
Announcing Miraculous New Discoveries in Anti-Ageing!

Among it's claims:

"How bed-ridden heart patients, after taking UBIQUINONE for just a single month, were able to bound up flights of stairs, walk for hours, even jog for a full mile or two without once gasping for breath!"

And....

"..And may increase lifespan up to an extra 50 years, in good health and full energy...No matter what your age or the condition of your body today!"

A bit of searching around the net lead to this site:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/proxene-es-c431380.html

A few of the related posts linked at the bottom are to other names/complaints/warnings.

Yes, it may seem an obvious scam to some but I put it here for those in doubt. Looking up 'Dr.Peter Mitchell' (the fellow who supposedly invented this stuff) will lead to pages on the actually Dr. Peter Michell, Nobel Prize winner.
~"I don't cook so much since we moved out of reality...."~

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the letter originated in the UK I'd forward it to the Advertising Standards Authority.
  • FrugalFranny
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    If the letter originated in the UK I'd forward it to the Advertising Standards Authority.

It's has one of those suspicious return envelopes. It has an English sounding company (Stafford & Spires) printed on the booklet, but the paid for return envelope is clearly not to anywhere in England. It goes to Sweden from what I can see.
    From what I gather this means the ASA can't touch it, but I'm still hunting around for anything I can do, seeing if I can track down where it's being sent from in England as it arrived by ordinary mail.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    If they have a prepaid return envelope, perhaps you can write 'no thanks' on something weighty?
  • FrugalFranny
    Options
    Oh, there is a nice bit of abuse heading their way once I know I won't need the envelope as 'evidence' lol ;)
  • ukkeith
    Options
    I have received 2 previous mail offers from this source.
    The reply address is Switzerland via a prepaid envelope
    Europe Wide Ordering Processing Inc
    Welbrigring 42
    CH-8954 Geroldswil
    Switzerland

I think any communication with that return address should ring a warning note.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    vharrison wrote: »
    Hi as an 87 year old veterinary surgeon I am well aware of medical scams. I have been tiring easily and finding it difficult to walk for many monts now and subscribed to the offer from Umaxx to test their product for two weeks. Having done this I then read the scam notice about the product and thought well it has not cost me anything. The free supply arrived and I decided I might as well use them and then cancel my order. Two weeks later I am a new man . All my friends are saying how well I look and how much better I am moving. I am no longer exhausted when I come off the golf course and if this is a scam its the best scam there has ever been! I will happily pay to continue getting the Umaxx and the only reason for posting this is so that fellow old age sufferers would not be put off trying something that might really help them.

Please provide us with the links to the independent, research-based double-blind placebo test results that provide evidence this treatment actually works.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2015 at 11:18AM
    Options
    UMAXX is fertiliser. So is your post.

CoQ10 (which is what UBIQUINONE is) is available in many brands and has contraindications. It potentially interferes with Warfarin in the body, so may actually be DANGEROUS to take for some people. Cochrane meta-reviews discount its claimed efficacy for heart conditions or cancer.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    vharrison wrote: »
    Hi as an 87 year old veterinary surgeon ...
    Reported for its canned-meat content.
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Options
    IF someone has received one of these type of offers through the post, is there any chance you could make an information report to Action Fraud with a covering note please?

There is a national plan in progress to stop the vulnerable being targeted, and any evidence (especially of new variants) is always useful.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love the smell of horse sh*t on a Monday especially from a Newbie. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts