£16,000 debt, turning regret into positive action.

Options

Comments

• LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another Nsd, thank god it will be payday soon. Tonight i need to sort my nudget for next month out and check i have everything in the right place for it.

I personally am knackered, i could just go out and spend the last £10 i have on naughty food and just sit at home relaxing.
    Looking at the positives i guess... My petrol has lasted me an extra 2 days which i was worried it woudnt. And i still have money left after cutting me£100 budget back and my£50 food budget back. I think i went to far this month and i feel like i havnt done anything, this shows more as im getting increasingly annoyed at my oh for going out all the time as i feel iv not been anywhere, so weve made plans to go out this weekend so i can feel human again.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Finally having a well earned day off. Feeling tired and alone on this mission. My OH is getting angry with me about saving money. Iv tried explaining the situation and how important it is to reduce our bills. He has his own bills but we both pay rent all bills included but im still trying to make an active effort to make sure that we keep the bill payers bills down as in all honesty we hardly pay enough to cover everything so i think its respectful to make sure were not being wasteful.

I have a low budget for myself as im comited to paying off my debt. I just feel a bit awkward like im stood around saying i dont want to do this because of money or we need to cut that. I know he has debts of his own, pay day loans, credit cards the lot. Its not my place to tell him to go on a strict money saving budget like me as it has to be his choice. Its just he constant resistence to supporting me with my choices not to spend money that gets to me.

Just feeling a bit alone in this debt busting journey.
  • DaringToDream_2
    Options
    Hi Lady! Just dropping in to say hi and sorry to hear you're feeling alone in this. It can be really lonely when your partner isn't quite on the same page financially, and you're trying to save. Hopefully this forum will give you a lot of support. I've always felt really guilty spending money on myself, so last year set up a fun fund which goes towards things like date nights with OH which eases the guilt slightly and also doesn't impact on the debt busting coz it's all budgeted for. Ultimately everyone has their own LBM in their own time, so keep plodding along and you may well find OH comes on board!

Have a lovely long week and enjoy a well deserved day off!
    Loan £13,339.81 (4.9%) Current End Date Dec 2020
    CC1 £3496.00 (0% for another 20 months)
    CC2 £2500 (0% for another 20 months)
    Total: £19335.81:eek:
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    LadyP01 wrote: »
    Finally having a well earned day off. Feeling tired and alone on this mission. My OH is getting angry with me about saving money. Iv tried explaining the situation and how important it is to reduce our bills. He has his own bills but we both pay rent all bills included but im still trying to make an active effort to make sure that we keep the bill payers bills down as in all honesty we hardly pay enough to cover everything so i think its respectful to make sure were not being wasteful.

I have a low budget for myself as im comited to paying off my debt. I just feel a bit awkward like im stood around saying i dont want to do this because of money or we need to cut that. I know he has debts of his own, pay day loans, credit cards the lot. Its not my place to tell him to go on a strict money saving budget like me as it has to be his choice. Its just he constant resistence to supporting me with my choices not to spend money that gets to me.

Just feeling a bit alone in this debt busting journey.

Sorry to hear you feel alone. It is very hard having to be the bad cop. He sounds like he doesn't understand just how important it is to get straight financially. You are not alone in that. I read all the time of people saying their other halves don't get on board for quite some time after the repayment battle begins.

Do you know what is really important to him? Like a better car or a special holiday, whatever the thing is, and then use that to help motivate him? I.e stop doing X and we can have Y sooner.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Thanks daring to dream, iv been on your thread reading your journey this morning, i have a fund were supposed to take each other out once a month, tonight is my night to treat so iv booked a new restaurant in town that weve never tried before.
    I feel the same about the LBM its down to him to have that moment and make those choices himself but it does make me feel alienated when hes having a go at me about saving money.

Hi bobarella, very little is actually important to him, for him hes not bothered about the big things, he would rather have nights out with the lads or takeaways etc. so cutbacks in the house on food thats premade and turning lights out etc is whats causing him to get angry.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Im over myself from this morning! I have pampered myself all day for free and treated myself.

Iv booked us a table for this evening and im getting dressed up and ready to treat myself to a nice evening out.
  • DaringToDream_2
    Options
    Nothing like a lovely pamper to perk yourself up!! Have fun getting all glam and have a lovely night out!!
    Loan £13,339.81 (4.9%) Current End Date Dec 2020
    CC1 £3496.00 (0% for another 20 months)
    CC2 £2500 (0% for another 20 months)
    Total: £19335.81:eek:
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Thank you, it was nice to go out for the evening, especially to drink. I was however still so tired by the end of the night.
    Last month before i started this thread i was hit with an unexpected bill for a tastecard. I was so angry at myself as i had forgotten about the fact id signed up for this a year before and it renews every year. No refunds could be given i was stuck with the card. I have however cancelled any renewal for next year.
    So i need to get my money back for this card... All £40 of it! We choose a place last night that offered a deal with the card and i saved £18 on our night out so getting there and were trying new places. It isnt ideal but its done so its what we do with it. The oh was very impressed so we will be visiting all these places from now on.

Also went for a shop today and some coin persons i liked were in the sale down to £3 each. Iv brought myself a few to upgrade from my envelopes and coin bags to keep my cash organised. Pretty pleased with my purchase as i feel iv been doing this long enough that the cost wont be wasted.

I need to sort out my money for this month. Even with the discount last night still set me back just under half my months budget. So need to get my money organised. next weekend we have a outting that im thinking of cancelling on due to money, the week after oh is going out so no spend for me and after that we have a holiday... Money to come from holoday fund already set up.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Having a look through my accounts last night and i checked my offers on a cc to see what they were offering. I can get £12,000 on 0% interest i also have £3000 standing by ready to call the loan company and pay off. That will leave a bit left to be paid off over the next two months. By leaving some to be paid off by montly payments it should avoid a fee for paying it off early.

Task for may
    Pay off £3000 on loan.
    Accept offer for 0% interest
    Sort out bills for this month
    Research holiday so its as cheap as possible.
  • Lumanous
    Lumanous Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popping in to say good luck with your journey! Shall keep checking in :) you're not alone, dealing with mine alone so we can all commiserate and support each other!
    :A
    No, my username is not a typo :tongue:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport