A mortgage PPI

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But there is rarely any useful advice just criticism of the poster and their reasons because they don't usually frame the posting or the original complaint properly because they don't really understand what they are doing/writing.

Which is why the responses are useful in letting the OP know the issues they face.
    In response to this they get 'your reasons are rubbish, most complaints will fail, that's not a reason, you are trying it on, what the broker did was legal, he did nothing wrong, you are being aggressive' - this is advice?

The facts are that most MPPi complaints fail. So, it helps the OP to know why. Also whether the reasons are actually valid or not or wrong or not.

it does not help the OP to continue focusing on a complaint reason that is not actually a valid complaint reason. Clearly in this case, the OP doesnt understand the issues and an explanation to help understand is beneficial.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OVB wrote: »
    I want this money for Christmas
    Insurance isnt refundable just because you ask, despite what you have read the bank are not giving out free money.
    and he told me to expect a response within eight weeks of my complaint but in his view he said he will probably be rejecting my claim and he will fully explain why in this final letter :mad: I told him I have every right to complain and I will take it much further
    And they have every right to reject your complaint.
    [
    and mentoned the FOS but he said he is doing nothing wrong and put the phone down on me :mad: do I just go to the FOS and get them on it as he is obviously using delaying tactics
    There is no delaying tactic, if they feel it wasnt mis-sold then they are going to reject your complaint. You need to wait to refer it to FOS then you will have a long wait and FOS are more likely than not to side with the firm.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2014 at 8:49PM
    Options
    But there is rarely any useful advice just criticism of the poster and their reasons because they don't usually frame the posting or the original complaint properly because they don't really understand what they are doing/writing.

In response to this they get 'your reasons are rubbish, most complaints will fail, that's not a reason, you are trying it on, what the broker did was legal, he did nothing wrong, you are being aggressive' - this is advice?

The original post reads completely like a try it on who has heard about PPI reclaiming and realised they paid PPI and assumes they are "entitled" to it back - "I want the money for Christmas", seriously, nothing about this post smacks of a legitimate claim.

Then look at the second post, the broker has almost certainly sold the insurance as part of the deal (as they are allowed to do) and it was 11 years ago (so before the 2005 regulation), OP should (based on reasons given and facts stated) expect a rejection at broker and FOS.

Complaints like this cause unnecessary stress and pain for the broker who has to defend their sale of a perfectly legitimate product designed to help someone avoid losing their home.

I do wonder with some of the complaints on here, when someone loses a job, will the "claim no matter what" types offer to pay their mortgage as the MPPI is no longer there?
  • OVB
    OVB Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Many mortgage brokers require the purchase of insurance to allow them to give free mortgage advice. That model is allowed as long as the insurance is suitable.

Policy details are supplied in the post.

He will almost certainly have the files. Advisers hold on to them. Which is why most advised complaints fail. However, the onus is more on your to support your allegations.

hardly comparing like for like. A credit card PPI sold by a bank is a million miles away from a mortgage PPI sold by a broker. Most Lloyds PPi complaints do succeed. Most MPPI broker sold complaints get rejected by the FOS. Different products covering very different needs via a different distribution channel.

Well he rang tonight asking how I wanted this copy of the call in he reckons he has me being told it was available and my decision to take it or not and discussing the cost first how do I know it will even be me on the recording and also he sounded cocky about it he says that is all his firm had to do then I do not trust him either as he has moved office three times in last ten years and I reckon he works form home now looking at the address which hardly fills me with confidence the FOS will want to here about this I reckon
  • Brokerwise
    Brokerwise Posts: 177 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2014 at 11:44PM
    Options
    Well he rang tonight asking how I wanted this copy of the call in he reckons he has me being told it was available and my decision to take it or not and discussing the cost first how do I know it will even be me on the recording and also he sounded cocky about it he says that is all his firm had to do then I do not trust him either as he has moved office three times in last ten years and I reckon he works form home now looking at the address which hardly fills me with confidence the FOS will want to here about this I reckon

So you are going to complain to the Ombudsman on the following basis,

1) You dispute it is you on the call recording he is providing ?
    2) You do not 'trust' him ?
    3) He has had the audacity to have moved premises and now might work from home ?

Do you actually realise that if you take this to the Ombudsman they will charge the poor !!!!!! £500 to defend his case ????

It may be worth enquiring is he also owns a black cat and broom and floats in water if dunked in a stool
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And another poster above was wondering why people get criticised!! Well there it is ladies and gentlemen....!!!
    What a ridiculous attitude and rather immature.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    how do I know it will even be me on the recording
    You can't recognise your own voice on a recording?
    also he sounded cocky
    If he has a recording of you disproving your complaint then I would expect him to sound confident.
    he has moved office three times in last ten years
    This supports your complaint in what way?
    I reckon he works form home
    He is fully entitled to do this.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Most advisers work from home. Its known as a cottage industry. I work from home and most advisers I know do so. Whether he works from home or not wont be the slightest bit of concern to the FOS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 November 2014 at 1:17AM
    Options
    He made me feel that a PPI was compulsory for me to get the mortgage
    That is likely to be an "oh yes you did" "oh no I didn't" argument. It might be true but the onus is on you to prove your assertion.
    I was not given any details of the policy and feel this did not suit my circumstances.
    Why not? You were taking out a mortgage. If your earnings had stopped then you would not have been able to meet the payments and, at that time, there was a wait of 9 months for any State Assistance. Your mortgage lender would typically have started possession proceedings after 3.

At that time, the Mortgage Code Compliance Board had a Good Practice Guide which not only advocated offering PPI but recommended advisers got borrowers refusing it to sign a disclaimer.
    He reckons he can disprove all of this as he will have a copy of a call to me confirming that I was told all this but it was 11 years ago so I doubt it and reckon he is trying to fob me off.
    He may do.
    If he has this call why has he not sent it yet I wonder answer me that
    Probably because he wants to provide a final response
    My husband got his ppi back easy from a Lloyds card
    This bears no relation to your dispute with a completely different business. He does, though, have my sympathy.
    Well he rang tonight asking how I wanted this copy of the call in he reckons he has me being told it was available and my decision to take it or not and discussing the cost
    Sounds like your case is unravelling.
    first how do I know it will even be me on the recording
    Whether you believe it is you irrelevant. In the end, you need to convince an Ombudsman that it isn't.
    also he sounded cocky about it
    That hardly seems relevant to your assertion that the policy wa missold.
    he says that is all his firm had to do then
    That would be the correct principle. It is rather like the fact that you cannot be prosecuted for driving along a road at 50 mph when the limit there was later reduced from 60 to 30.
    I do not trust him either
    I suspect that feeling is mutual
    as he has moved office three times in last ten years
    I cannot see how that is relevant.
    I reckon he works form home now looking at the address which hardly fills me with confidence
    Lots of people work from home, including me! However, your snobbishness is of no relevence to whether the policy was missold or not.
    FOS will want to here about this I reckon
    They will just put it onto the "to do" pile. They will not be particularly bothered either way. They are not a regulator and are not supposed to be a consumer champion.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you do refer it to FOS and lose, I just hope you receive an invoice for the FOS fee.

The type of work premises has nothing to do with mis-selling.

You need to understand there is nothing wrong with having PPI especially for a mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure