Natwest online issue

For some reason my online banking decided to throw a wobble and basically i had to re reg for it. Ive received the activation code when i then go to the next page and it asks for a new PIN which must be four numbers it keeps saying use code for error summary which i havent go a clue is all i want to do is use my old 4 numbers if poss i have tried a different 4 and get access to my bank accts online. Ive checked at The ATM that nobody has accessed it it only gave up after i accessed it on my mobile phone i normally do it off my computer. It was only when i went to use the computer a few days after i used my phone it was apparent it had happened. Any suggestions greatfully received before i phone them and hang on phone for 3 days or go into my "local" branch some miles away

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,765 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    may be it's me, but I'm unclear as to exactly what your problem/question is ?

Your online account was suspended for some reason and it's forced you to use a new pin on reactivating it ?
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Basically when you log on you use your customer ID number then on the next page it asks for your four digit PIN and also your username. As im re reg ive put the authorisation code in sent to me by bank today and then it asks for my new four digit PIN which must be numbers ive tried now a few times and right from the first go it keeps saying use code for error summary which i dont have or know what it is. Ive tried both my old four numbers and a new set still no joy.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Just a possibly false memory, but you may have to get PIN authorised against your card at an ATM before you use it online.

I have always found the nat west online assistance ("need help?" on the RHS of the screen) very quick.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Basically when you log on you use your customer ID number then on the next page it asks for your four digit PIN and also your username. As im re reg ive put the authorisation code in sent to me by bank today and then it asks for my new four digit PIN which must be numbers ive tried now a few times and right from the first go it keeps saying use code for error summary which i dont have or know what it is. Ive tried both my old four numbers and a new set still no joy.

I would guess that "use code for error summary" is a technical error message, created by the webpage or web server.

You could try the usual trick of clearing cookies and browser history, or using a different web browser, and trying again.

However, I think you'll have to contact Natwest to get this sorted out. Another guess is that your account has been locked for some reason.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Linton wrote: »
    Just a possibly false memory, but you may have to get PIN authorised against your card at an ATM before you use it online.

A false memory. The PIN customers are asked to enter during login isn't their card PIN.
  • Muscle750
    Ive given up im going into the branch tomorrow as now it doesnt even recognise the intial code i was sent.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Haven't had a problem logging in (this time!!) but the website has been working extremely slowly for me over the last two days. It actually timed out yesterday when I was trying to pay a credit card bill.
  • Muscle750
    Been to branch and seems they are having big issues with their on line banking even the bloke in the bank was on verge of giving up as it was so slow seems i was about the 12th person in with issues in 2 hours.
  • I was trying to download a CSV of my transactions from the last tax year for my accounts, but it wouldn't let me download just under a year... or half a year... or anything. So I went on the support chat and apparently they're having problems downloading statements. But they can send me a hard copy, which will take a week. Can I take it from that that it will take them more than a week to fix this thing? Not absolutely sure what to do, but I might wait it out.

Anyway, all customer support are allowed to say is "It's not working", which I'd sort of worked out for myself.

I did manage to slip in the comment that downloadable statements being unavailable is ironic considering they used dark patterns to force people to switch to paperless.

(In their case it was an unobtrusive, pre-checked checkbox requesting the switch that it was easy to miss while logging in.)

I've been using the NatWest online banking for... fifteen years, or so? does that seem right? To be honest, it doesn't seem like they've significantly rewritten the site in all that time, just piled new layers of security on top. For example, I've had lots of problems logging into the site and being locked out, just as the original post describes. I've been told that I got the login information wrong (I hadn't), that I'd tried to log in too many times (it would be on the first attempt) and finally I was told it was because my browser had autocompleted the URL when I'd navigated towards the site, and OF COURSE I should clear all cookies before trying to use the NatWest site. Because, what am I? An idiot? Everybody does that.* Anyway, whatever it was IT WAS DEFINITELY MY FAULT and why was I bothering them with this nonsense.

I should have switched years ago, while my main bugbear was just them cold-calling me all the time trying to set up meetings in my local branch during work hours so they could shill financial products. I think I might have an unhealthy relationship with them. I've had an account with them for over thirty years, so there's tremendous inertia going on.

Anyway, that sort of thing locked-out-during-login happens to some of us all the time. If you're using Safari on OS X, try downloading Chrome. Otherwise use the phone app, which works fine.

Oh, it's good to get all that off my chest. I feel cleansed.

*Note: This is sarcasm. Depending on users clearing cookies before using the site is insane.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure