Scottish ten pound note

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Approximately 60 different banknotes! You expect individuals to be familiar with them all? When even Scots posting on here don't realise just how many there are? No thanks.
    Nobody needs to be familiar with each note, they all feature the word 'Sterling' which you are no doubt familiar with, and which shopkeepers usually look for. They are all pounds sterling.

Jersey, Guernsey and IoM notes don't have the word Sterling and are less acceptable on the mainland, but you are unlikely to encounter any.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Robisere wrote: »
    If Scotland ever gets Independence * then I wonder which currency they will have? They cannot expect to continue with the UK £, as they will not be members within the UK. They cannot expect to use the Euro, because the EU have told them that they are not EU members.

Maybe the Trump Dollar, to go with the Golf Courses they don't look like having?

*looking extremely unlikely now. The Splurger has been quiet for a bit!

Nobody uses the UK £.

The UK uses the Great British Pound (GBP) and in your scenario Great Britain would be dissolved ;)
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    Nobody needs to be familiar with each note...

If you are not familiar with them, how do you know if they are genuine? Or current?
  • eDicky
    Forumite
    If you are not familiar with them, how do you know if they are genuine? Or current?
    Traveling must be stressful, Scotland or elsewhere, if every unfamiliar banknote is potentially forged or not current. Does familiarity ensure that a fake English note is spotted?

Unlike English notes, validity of Scottish does not expire when new ones are brought into circulation.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    Traveling must be stressful, Scotland or elsewhere, if every unfamiliar banknote is potentially forged or not current. Does familiarity ensure that a fake English note is spotted?

Unlike English notes, validity of Scottish does not expire when new ones are brought into circulation.

Travelling can be stressful if you are unfamiliar with the currency.

Luckily, most sensible countries have a small number of notes that you need to be familiar with. There are only seven variations of the US dollar. There are seven variations of the Euro, but as a tourist you are only likely to use five.

There are about 60 variations of Sterling notes circulating in various parts of the UK.

Scottish notes may not get withdrawn, but NI ones do.

And not only are these notes issued by unfamiliar banks, some of them are issued by foreign banks (Bank of Ireland and Danske Bank).

Any bank note can potentially be a forgery. You should be on the lookout for them all the time. If you find you have been given one, you have lost money. If you knowingly try to spend a forged more then you are breaking the law.

All the issuing bank web sites give advice on how to spot a genuine note and encourage you to be familiar with them.

In a country where you have seven types of note, this is practicable.

In England, we only have 5 notes which are currently legal tender.

For these reasons, I will not personally accept regional promissory notes in the South of England. If I was working for Business that welcomed them it would of course be a different matter.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,873
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just to remind everybody.
    Shops don't have to give you change at all.
    And you're entitled to refuse it!
    And if they were rude enough to insist, thrusting the money at you, many shops have a charity box by the till so you can relieve yourself of the complication of carrying confusing currency by passing if over to a good cause.

All the more relevant now there's those confusing four versions of the pound coin currently circulating to vex and annoy everybody!

Not very moneysaving though.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 2:35PM
    Hi,

Clydesdale, Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland.

Erm... those Bank of Scotland ones are old and not in circulation any more. Try https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/bank-of-scotland.html

Also we have polymer notes here, https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/polymer-banknotes.html
  • Don80
    Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 2:40PM
    That is a good point I didn't think of that.

Looks like I am stuck with mine, my own fault I will know next time.

As a side question, are most notes in Scotland, Scottish notes? doesn't that make it difficult when Scots come to visit the rest of the UK. I was given my note in the south, I assume it came from a Scot on holiday.

Virtually all notes here are Scottish notes, not being England we don't use, erm... Bank of England! BoE notes are only legal tender in England and Wales. We do see English £5 quite regularly.

https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/polymer-banknotes.html
    https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes.html

I travel to other parts of the UK regularly and for the last few years have had no problem using my Scottish money in England. One or two "look twice" but never refused.
  • Don80
    Forumite
    Approximately 60 different banknotes! You expect individuals to be familiar with them all? When even Scots posting on here don't realise just how many there are? No thanks.

You are right. The UK is one State, with one currency.

Is there any other State in the world that has about 60 different notes issued by eight different banks?

Let's stop all this stupidity and have one set of banknotes as almost every other Sovereign State does. Let's withdraw the right of the Scottish and Irish banks to issue their promisory notes.

Alternatively, stop having a go at individuals in England and Wales who don't want to accept your Mickey Mouse money.

I'm happy with either option.

In Scotland we are aware of our own money. I've never met someone in a shop here arguing about whether "that Bank of Scotland note" is okay. Seriously?

As for us having our own notes, that's part of our heritage - Scotland has NEVER used Bank of England notes. England did suggest that once before, and Walter Scott led a campaign to keep our own money - which is why he is on the Bank of Scotland notes. If a few people in England are funny about it, that's their problem.

My experience in England for years though has been fine, I have only had one person do a double check. That was when I handed over a Clydesdale polymer £5 before England had the polymer notes. I had to explain that, but the guy had a laugh - not because it was Scottish, but because he'd never seen a polymer note. He joked about it being monopoly money, and I joked about bringing some next time. (yeah, the Scottish monopoly editions have different money too - but don't tell some people, that may be too much for them!) :rotfl:
  • eDicky
    Forumite
    Don80 wrote: »
    Erm... those Bank of Scotland ones are old and not in circulation any more.
    I think the previous series of notes are still in circulation and accepted everywhere, they are just slowly withdrawn as they pass through banks until there's none left. Unlike in England where tyranny dictates that after a certain date the old series BoE notes are no longer acceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport