MSE News: HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes

Comments

• Does anyone know if you can get the same deal on each card i.e.using both a HSBC and 1st Direct card?

I know when Nationwide first launched their scheme you were restricted to only being able to register 1 card. But considering these are 2 separate banks but under the same group will it allow a person to be rewarded with the deal twice or will the retailer prevent the cashback.

Yeah I redeemed the Lidl and Esso cashback on both my HSBC and First Direct cards. You can register as many different cards as you like, you just need to register each one individually with its own email address.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    flyingflea wrote: »
    You can register as many different cards as you like, you just need to register each one individually with its own email address.

I think you can have more than one card on each account eg Credit and Debit but as you say you do need to register for each bank separately.

The Nationwide scheme is the same as HSBC and First Direct and as far as Lidl is concerned they only appear to offer one redemption per bank and they don't seem to offer it again.
  • This may be asked before, is first direct and HSBC considered different banks?
    e.g. If I switch from HSBC to First direct or vice versa, would that be consider a bank switch?
  • Are people getting the cashback they expect in a timely manner? For three transactions, one (Boots) was notified and paid within days. Two others (Esso, using his and her cards). For one of these, transaction on the 6th Sept, email confirmation on the 11th, but no cashback yet. The other Esso was on 8th - not heard a thing! I'll give it a bit longer before complaining, just wondered what others were seeing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What is the situation if I registered and used for 2 offers both an HSBC debit card, and an HSBC credit card?

The site does allow for the registration of up to 5 HSBC cards - I can't see any reason for having more than one registered unless that was the purpose.

I did make 2 separate purchases from Boots, qualifying in all respects for the offer and using the different cards. Now waiting to hear from hsbcvisaoffers as to whether I get one or 2 cashback rewards
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    keiran wrote: »
    What is the situation if I registered and used for 2 offers both an HSBC debit card, and an HSBC credit card?

The site does allow for the registration of up to 5 HSBC cards - I can't see any reason for having more than one registered unless that was the purpose.

I did make 2 separate purchases from Boots, qualifying in all respects for the offer and using the different cards. Now waiting to hear from hsbcvisaoffers as to whether I get one or 2 cashback rewards

Most of the offers say 'Offer valid for one purchase' and 'Available on all registered cards'

By that I would say you can only redeem the offer once using any of your registered cards but it will be interesting to see how they award your Boots purchases.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    keiran wrote: »

I hope you registered them to two different accounts/emails. Otherwise, I expect you will only receive one lot.
  • Two cards on one account - his and hers. Which as far as I understand is allowed.

From the on-line help on the website:
    Can I register more than one card?

Once you have successfully registered with one card and signed in, you can add up to 4 more first direct Visa cards in 'My Account'
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Two cards on one account - his and hers. Which as far as I understand is allowed
    Yes, it is definitely allowed. No argument there.
    However, cashback is based on the account you register with visaoffers.eu, rather than cards. Each account can only have one pot of cashback, no matter which card you registered on the account is used.
  • I have read and re-read the Terms and Conditions, and also the help. I can't see the "per account" restriction called out anywhere. All the discussion is per card. Can you point me to the particular section that says you can only have cashback once per account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure