PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Would this be ok to eat?

2»

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Even a teaspoon of this stuff can make you really really poorly. Those little gremlins multiply at an alarming speed

Is it worth it for the sake of a couple of quid. You could lose a months wages being off work

No way
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As with any food the answer is 'possibly'. Sometimes people get food poisoning from fresh salad, other times people eat old meat and are fine.

Personally, I judge by my senses of smell, taste and look.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i dont eat meat but wouldnt give it to OH and DS either, wouldnt use any meat more than a day out of date personally but know that some people do and are not ill
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Newly retired, there are some unknowns in your situation. If it was traditionally-cured, i.e. dry-cured, gammon, it might still be OK. But if it was "cured" by modern industrial methods, I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole; chemical "curing" doesn't cure it at all, just adds a "cured" flavour & does nothing to actually preserve the meat.

Krustylouise, this is too late, but for future reference, when something like a pea & ham soup separates, it's just gravity pulling the heavier solids down & doesn't necessarily mean anything harmful's going on. (Unless your joint was on the bone, in which case it should have "gelled" and when that starts to break down, it definitely isn't edible any more.) It's not like when a liquid like milk starts to separate; that's definitely some kind of bacterial or yeast action & unless it's something you're doing deliberately like making yogurt, cheese or kefir, probably not something you want to drink.

That said, my kitchen generally looks like something out of The Darling Buds of May; we generally have several different kinds of fermentation going on, there's always soup on the go and I make many of our meals with leftovers, sometimes several days old. We eat food straight from the garden without soaking it in Milton for an hour like my mother used to; a food inspector would have forty thousand fits. And I was trying to remember the last time any of us (a household of 7 at the moment) had a tummy upset; it would have been when they were all at school, which is more than 10 years ago... it may well be that we have cast-iron constitutions, or that they've already met most of the germs under the sun, but I think I'd side with Linda32's husband & say that at the moment, a lot of food is wasted that probably needn't be, "to make us buy more"...
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure