My Mega Light Bulb Moment

Comments

• Doobop
    Doobop Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Wow what a bit start you have made in less than a month! Ebay really seems to work for you, wow. You asked if there were any other things you would be doing - I would look at some of your bills and check you're on good rates. You did amazing with sky, carry that on! Maybe look at energy bills next? Martin has a cheap energy club on here, it shows you whether you could be on a better rate and it's so easy to switch. I've switched twice in the last few years - saved some cash :)
  • Hi Doobop

I hope you are having a good weekend. I Thank you so much for your comments. I have done the energy comparison as the deal I was on was coming to an end. I did move supplier and it has gone through about six weeks ago and it is cheaper than what I was on so that is sorted.

We are not on a water meter but with four adults in the house it would not be beneficial for us to move to a meter.

I have also looked at the b'band and telephones and am happy with that at the minute.

I cannot think of anything else at the moment other than insurances when they need renewing.

So I think my big ones at the moment are petrol and food shopping.

Also I have sold another three things on ebay yesterday so the sales keep coming in which is great. I am going to clean, sort and tidy my bedroom today so I may have more stuff to add to the ebay list box.

Take care everybody and have a really nice day.

LBM
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi LBM..just popping by. Loving the energy and commitment you are putting into your debt busting. It's great.

Couple of observations from me..hard to do but may be worth putting up an SOA. You usually get loads of helpful advice and certainly when I had overcome my embarrassment and did one I got some good advice. Second, going to our local SM recently.. (I try to avoid it, but we need to eat ;)) there are times when there are loads of YS/reduced items about. Not just processed food, but fruit & veg etc. Might be worth timing your purchases and basing your meal planning around your YS trips? Appreciate there's a lot of you, but may be possible. We also eat loads of HM lentil Dahl, veggie curry, HM naan and rice...so like a takeaway but loads cheaper. We also never throw any food away, (although the chickens help with scraps!) which must make a difference to the overall bill, so you're doing the right thing there. Do you work and take lunches to work? That makes a difference to the overall food/eating bill.

Slow cookers are a marvellous invention. Use them loads!
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Hi brizzledfw

Thank you for reading and for your comments.

I also have a slow cooker and used it use it a little. However, since I have started looking at our food budget I have used it all the time. In fact there is a veggie and chicken curry in it now. I have made enough for us all for today and then enough to freeze for a meal next week. They are amazing.

I am really fortune in the fact that I work from home, so I eat my lunch at home. I used to call every so often and purchase something but since starting this I have not done that and really do not intend to as it really is a waste of money.

I have looked at all the elements of my spend now and I think I can say all have been took to the bear bones. These include, gas, electricity, water, tv, phones, b'band. Our mortgage is due to end in November of this year, which is great and a very big plus side in all of this.

So that leaves me with food, petrol and insurances that I will really shop around for and make sure I get them at the best possible price.

We have stopped all the excessive take aways and eating out all the time which really is saving an absolute fortune. This is one of those things I am going to insist we continue.

Any way I must go as I have been going on far to long and I have got a few more things that have sold on ebay today to wrap so that I can take them all the post office in the morning.

Take care and enjoy the rest of the bank holiday.

LBM
  • I meant to ask that time do you go to the supermarket for the reduced items as I may try this one night this week?

LBM
  • Doobop
    Doobop Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Wow you really have sorted out all your bills! Well done and keep going!
  • Hi

Thank you for reading and giving me more encouragement to continue.

I have sat this morning and wrapped a lot of stuff to go to the post office so more sales which is fantastic.

I have also only put £20 in petrol into the car this week so will see what happens with that. If I can save a £5 a week that is another £20 a month or £240 a year.

The post man has brought me a £8 off a £60 shop at Morrisons coupon this morning. I dont usually shop there but think I am going to give it a go on Friday and use the voucher. Somebody must be keeping an eye on me and giving me a helping hand!

Any way have a nice day everybody.

LBM
  • scotdebs
    scotdebs Posts: 566 Forumite
    Glad to see you are still going great LBM - am in a bit of a lull myself - hey ho onwards and upward - totally agree on the take away and eating out - its where most of our discretionary spend goes I know for sure - the months I'm on top of that I really notice a difference- I resisted the world of meal an ing for year but it really helps - not saying I'm perfect on it but generally manage to plan 5 nights out of 7 and it had really helped cut down my grocery spend
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi LBM...I am not sure as I think all SMs have different timings depending on their opening hours...it's probably on a thread or board here..but think biggest reductions were coming after 7pm? Could be a big way of getting that voucher to stretch too?
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Hi Everybody

A new month and time to set new goals.

Scotdebs - Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment. I am going to try and stick to my goal of no takeaways in June as they just eat away at your bank balance as we both know. I think everybody doing this journey will have lull times as I do believe you cannot be up beat about paying off C/C bills that you dont even know what you are paying for all the times. Try and stay focused and get your motivation back as in the end it really will be worth it.

Brizzledfw - Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I am going to try this type of shopping as I bet you can get some really good bargains. I just hope it is not scary with lots of people around the section in a free for all! But I can push as good as the next guy.

I have paid another £126.50 off one credit card this morning from ebay sales. I have just had a look and during May I sold 117 things:beer: and the total sales before fees was £1659, I really cannot believe it.

Goals for June

1. Keep to £70 shopping budget.
    2. Keep to £20 worth of petrol each week, saving £20 a month on my normal usage.
    3. Keep listing five items a day on ebay as I have had an email to say free listings all June:T:T:T
    4. No eating out or takeaways. I have a family meal in June so this does not count as it has been booked for a long time now and I do need to attend.
    5. Try and use less gas / electricity. - Now this is going to be a good one to police in my house!

Also meant to say I HAVE NOT USED MY CREDIT CARD FOR ONE FULL MONTH now:j:j:j:j:j

Any way everybody have a really nice day and once again dont spend what you have not got.

LBM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport