Close paid off credit card or keep open?

Options
I have 3 credit cards and I have noticed my credit score has improved the more I have paid them off as my amount of borrowing to my available credit has decreased. I was at 85% and now I am down to 75%. I took advantage recently to balance transfer one of the outstanding balances on a card to another card to get 0% for 12 months. My question is, should I cancel the now empty credit card and therefore have only 2 credit card accounts in my name or will this have a negative effect to my credit rating as my amount of borrowing to available credit will increase to something near 90% ?

Sorry, if this has been asked before. I am new here and the searches I did did not turn up anything.

Comments

• The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2014 at 8:42PM
    Options
    You don't have a credit score, you're referring to a random made up number.

If you close an empty credit card, then you increase your "debt to available credit ratio" so bear this in mind. Lenders don't like to see that people are spending lots of their cards as it points to potential repayment problems now or in future. Ideally should stay below 50% of credit limits.

But bear in mind your total available credit to salary ratio generally shouldn't exceed 75% at the very most. Ideally you'd be at least half below that.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    The_Boss wrote: »
    You don't have a credit score, you're referring to a random made up number.

Seems like you're fighting a losing battle on this one, Boss. I'm sure you must think at times something along the lines of "Hello!! Have I ceased to Exist?". Credit for your perseverance though.

I think perhaps the issue is that the scores are not actually made up, or random, numbers. They have been calculated. Unfortunately, lenders also calculate scores but use a different algorithm. As I mentioned in another thread, the scores are indicative; maybe not too indicative, but there we go.
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Seems like you're fighting a losing battle on this one, Boss. I'm sure you must think at times something along the lines of "Hello!! Have I ceased to Exist?". Credit for your perseverance though.

I think perhaps the issue is that the scores are not actually made up, or random, numbers. They have been calculated. Unfortunately, lenders also calculate scores but use a different algorithm. As I mentioned in another thread, the scores are indicative; maybe not too indicative, but there we go.

It's a fact that people do not have credit scores. When people with defaults have "excellent" "scores" ahead of those with umblemished histories it sums up their worth and pretty much confirms that they are made up.

They also bear no resemblance to how lenders assess applications because of all the missing data that is not considered, let alone the differing scoring matrices. The salary alone makes a huge difference.
  • coffeeowl
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am probably a little more confused if anything but certainly wiser in that I wont be taking my 'score' for granted. I wonder if I should maybe have left the balance on the third card now so that the credit limits are more evenly spread. Clearing one has put another to nearly maximum. I wanted to make use of the 0% balance transfer though. The root of my query comes from me attempting to get a consolidation loan to clear all the cards and get rid of them. I got turned down even though I had a 'good' rating according to experian. I had just moved house though and I found that Equifax (who were also quoted as used in my rejection letter) had not got me registered on the electoral role yet in my new address and showed my old mortgage as not being 'settled' yet. I wonder if that was more of a factor than my 'score'. Still, I am concerned if I close the 3rd card my debt to credit ratio increase will be a big negative factor in getting a consolidation loan in the future.
  • badobsession81
    Options
    I too am considering the 'close card' vs available credit ratio and trying to make an assessment as to which will be more beneficial overall.

As touched on already, what lenders look for in a potential customer will vary, therefore there's never an entirely black and white answer.

coffeeowl - It's great to be clear about the myth of credit scores, but I think the thread is losing focus a little from your question about making yourself as attractive as possible to lenders (on the balance of probability) in order to secure a consolidation loan. Have I understood correctly?

Previously, I've found my bank more willing to lend than other lenders as they have a history going back years as I've banked with them since I was 14! Also, the way I secured that particular consolidation loan was in person at my branch and we went through my plans.

Essentially, I had £6kish on my bank's credit card (with a higher limit of approx £9k), an overdraft of £1.5k with them, and about £2k on other cards. I believe that my application was more successful than previous attempt with another lender, because my bank knew my history, they were winning additional business from me that they had confidence they would benefit from based on my history, and we agreed to minimise my exposure to additional credit by clearing and lowering both my overdraft allowance and credit card limit.

In branch you can have these kind of discussions and sometimes you will find that you will be more successful if you take this kind of approach - demonstrate that you're giving them business, have a good history with them, and agree not to expose yourself to (too much) more credit by closing or lowering limits on your other products with them.

Ramble over, but hopefully that helped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport