Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Comments

• Would it be worth asking the moderators to require persons
    participating in this thread to declare any interest?

I'll start off; I have no links to the BBC or any media organisation.
  • squirreltufty
    squirreltufty Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    :rolleyes:Perhaps mods should require persons participating in all MSE fora on all contentious topics to declare any interest they may have, at that rate?
    still a SF nerd no.1:o
    Quit date: 03/09/2006 ----> £1,000s not spent on tobacco(21/03/2010).:D
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would it be worth asking the moderators to require persons
    participating in this thread to declare any interest?

Yes, perhaps Defiant should declare an interest as 3,000 BBC staff will be moving to his town in a few years' time. Clearly he's trying to have them all dismissed in case they take his parking space or borrow the book he's waiting for at the library.
  • impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    Defiant wrote: »
    That's right so why are you forcing anyone who wants to watch the news to pay a BBC TV TAX ? Why the hell don't you subsidise my cable TV and those that have Sky ?

Oh and if its not esstential why is the goverment giving FREE tv's and FREE BBC TV Licence's to asylum seekers ?

The BBC TV Licence was a great idea 40yrs ago but like everything else times change unfortunately a small minority don't

I think you are over estimating my importance in the TV licence enforcement business.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, well maybe I might force my boyfriend to make a cup of tea occassionally, but that's largely irrelevent to this thread...

As I've stated before I don't work for the BBC (I wish!), but I do have a vested interest in the TV licence because I am an actor, and I like the independence that gives the BBC to make programmes without the forced input of sponsors etc. I know you don't like the BBC, you don't pay the licence fee. Well it's your life, don't do it if you don't want to. The question was do I think the licence fee is worth it. And I do. The only thing I objected to was that you accused the BBC of being pro-terrorism. They are clearly not.

It provides a service which is head and sholders above the drivel that Sky, ITV and Channel 5 come up with. I do have to defend Channel 4 though, they too are excellent. althoughI'd prefer less reality TV, please!

My point is though why buy a tv if you're going to complain about a fee that you knew existed before you bought it? Just seems like moaning for the sake of it. I reitorate my previous point about theatre, cinema, sporting events. You pay to watch them, you wouldn't walk into a theatre and expect to get away without paying.

There are many things I don't like paying for which come under taxes. I didn't choose to be born in the UK, but I have the opportunity to pay up and get on with it, or if I really hate something, leave the country. (Paul Daniels are you listening? You said you'd emmigrate if Labour got in...I was almost tempted to vote for them...You're still here and I'm still waiting).

I'm not going to enter the assylum seeker conundrum if it's all the same, as I predict that our opinions are going to differ vastly, and it's something I'm not prepared to go into in public, as I don't like myself when I have political arguments on forums. I turn into Mr Hyde, so to speak. Though I still maintain TV is not essential to life. My Da has lived quite happily for 7 years without a TV, and won't even watch it at other people's house. He doesn't miss it.

The majority of people do pay their licence. I'm not making any judgements of those who don't, as it's their decision, and do think that some very relevent points have been made here by people who do not agree with the fee.

But it is my personal belief that we should save the BBC from corporate sponsorship just yet and keep one of the very few remaining public services, public.

That's just my opinion, anyway.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Defiant wrote: »
    NO YOU wont save me anything because I've not paid for a BBC TV Licence in 18yrs so I've saved thousands of pounds already and so don't subsidise your viewing habbits mate :grin: I'll also point out the figure you have given was last years revenue which was of course before this years £5 increase & you also missed out the sales revenue which was also down to the public being forced to fund it

Firstly I am not your mate, nor do I like criminals, nor do I like folks who lie or are
    disingenuous.

The revenue raised by TV licence is £3.1 billion. This is the latest and most accurate figure available.

Sales are clearly not forced upon anyone, they are an optional purchase for organistations and individuals.
    Nor have they anything to do with the topic discussed.

If sales were £3.1 billion then according to your warped form of accountancy the cost of providing the BBC would be £6.2 billion.
  • The BBC licence fee is worth every penny for people who wish to watch television programmes and not adverts.
    People who think that commercial television is fine and dandy and the adverts are not imposing and/or an annoying distruption to the programmes must remember that commercial TV is subdued in the UK by the mere presence of the BBC.
    Go abroad and watch an episode of a programme, say The X-files, running time when shown on BBC2 45mins. Running time on a commercial station in a country where there is no alternative to advert funded TV would be 75+mins. Commercial breaks are shorter and of less frequency in Britain purely because that ITV and other companies know audience figures would fall given the alternative of no adverts BBC. In Australia some TV station put 4-9mins of adverts in a break in a show 60sec from the end of that show. This is to try to garnantee audiences have to sit through these adverts to get the climax of a programme.
    So for those who wish to pay for commercial channels peppered with a smattering of programmes get rid of the BBC.
    main stream media is a propaganda machine for the establishment.
  • aMIGA_dUDE
    aMIGA_dUDE Posts: 87
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just did a search upon pm petition site for BBC. And there are lot petitions on there about the BBC. 99% have less then 100 people sign up.

There is one which stands out, nothing to do with TV licence but new iPlayer, it just short of 15,000 people.
    We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to prevent the BBC from making its iPlayer on-demand television service available to Windows users only, and instruct the corporation to provide its service for other operating systems also

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/iplayer/
  • Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    The BBC licence fee is worth every penny for people who wish to watch television programmes and not adverts.
    People who think that commercial television is fine and dandy and the adverts are not imposing and/or an annoying distruption to the programmes must remember that commercial TV is subdued in the UK by the mere presence of the BBC.

OMG thats like saying the whole world bows to the BBC because its so great. Perhaps you should get of the high horse now and again you'll realise thats just not true and you and the rest of the BBC posse are a minority
    Go abroad and watch an episode of a programme, say The X-files, running time when shown on BBC2 45mins.

which has a cost this year of £4.5 billion but yes I'm happy with commerical TV and watching things like CSI, House, Lost, Prison Break, Stargate Atlantis, 4400, NCIS etc :)
    Running time on a commercial station in a country where there is no alternative to advert funded TV would be 75+mins.

So why don't you want a subscription BBC where you and the rest of the minority club together for it then :rolleyes:
  • Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Firstly I am not your mate, nor do I like criminals, nor do I like folks who lie or are
    disingenuous.

I was extracting the urine as I don't think anyone who wants their viewing habbits paid for by everyone else is a friend of anyone but themselves :rolleyes:

Ps if you don't like criminals then you shouldn't be supporting your beloved BBC
    The revenue raised by TV licence is £3.1 billion. This is the latest and most accurate figure available.

Thats last year or do you beeb people have a problem with basic math. 25 million households forced to pay an extra £5 this year and then add the sales revenue ;)
    Sales are clearly not forced upon anyone, they are an optional purchase for organistations and individuals.

But if it's a public service and the public own it why should they be asked to pay for it again ?

I'm sure everyone else has noticed that even though the pro tv licence people get hammered on every single poll they always have the most to say because they feel threatened at the thought of paying for the BBC by themselves
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    I'm sure everyone else has noticed that even though the pro tv licence people get hammered on every single poll they always have the most to say because they feel threatened at the thought of paying for the BBC by themselves[/quote]

Oh dear me, still not getting any better at your facts.
    Not every poll.

Over 800 people responded to the survey, with 593 (around 68%) backing the licence fee, and 275 (around 32%) favouring an alternative such as advertising.

That from a poll held in Northavon. I could provide you with the link to it but frankly I cant be bothered. But you can check. It is what is called a fact.;)
    We all evolve - get on with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport