PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Another two bags left today, i keep a bag in my study for stashing out of the way ;)

However I need to revisit my work clothes as I bought 3 immaculate dresses today to replace some which are too shabby-looking. I also bought a BN pink cardi and 50% reduced black & cream jacket which I can wear over all my black & grey dresses which were both a want (both from Sainsbobs) I also found some very comfy flat black leather knee boots there which DH is buying me for Christmas ;) to replace my 7 year old pair which the cobbler has said will only take one more repair :( In their defence I wear them at least 3 times a week from October to April so they don't owe me anything!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Loving the KM by stealth - seems there's quite a few of us with OH's who question what we're getting rid of! Why???? My DH keeps telling me - 'there's nothing wrong with it - keep it for Justin - Nooooooooo!
    Managed to re-home a unit settee for DS1 via Freecycle - two CS refused it and there's nothing wrong with it - must be getting picky :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I hear from members of the public here who are arranging to have the council take sofas etc away for a fee that charity shops have declined them. Sometimes, it's because they don't have the current fire safety labels but oftentimes, it seems to be because they can't be resold for at least £200-£300. Plenty of people would be happy to have a £50 used couch but there is only so much warehousing/ shop floor / transport costs the charities can bear, I guess. Well done on you for finding a freecycler.

Have been pootling around today as not feeling A1 (sneezing, bring out the plague mark for the door). Have donated a bag with some bits in to the charity shop and also spent some time trying on trousers.

Several pairs have moved from the too small to just right (:D) but there are one or two pairs still a bit tight, but I'm shedding weightly gradually so have put them to one side for another try-on in a few months.

Have also done some pre-emptive repairs (re-sewing buttons which are coming adrift before they fall) and will be doing a bit more of that on three pairs of trousers. Machine-sewn buttons are absolutely rubbish, don't you find?

I find it's best to get little bits out asap I identify them as unnecessary rather than wait for some big chunk of time when I will have nothing else to do but paw through my possessions. Doesn't ever seem to arrive, somehow, and things can linger if I don't keep pecking away at the piles.

Righty, off to do some more button-sewing, then will clear off my tabletop and give everything which has been roosting on it a Hard Stare before returning it. Only the four mini-sunflowers in a jar are guaranteed clearance....:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • I got the MK book from the library and was making excellent progress with reading it and getting all inspired and motivated, then woke up Friday morning unable to move! My back had seized and I spent 36 hours flat on my back until a wonderful doctor gave me a house-visit and some wonderful pills from her doctor bag. Up and about the next day! Our NHS is wonderful :)

Anyway, I finished the book this afternoon, and in the half hour I had before picking up the small people from school, I went through my clothes drawers, which I like to think were pretty clutter-free and produced two carrier bags of clothes for the clothes recycling :eek: not even charity shopable! And I have a spare drawer now too. And far too many pairs of black tights for someone who prefers leggings over tights. And don't get me started on the lovely pretty underwear I rediscovered at the back of the smalls drawer :rotfl:

Can't wait to get to the wardrobe now :)
  • I have lots of broken costume jewellery and see that a website called Vintage Cash Cow accepts these for cash. I wouldn't get much for them but if I refuse offer they will return them post free. I don't pay postage to send them either.

Has anyone used this "firm", please?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Eirlys wrote: »
    I have lots of broken costume jewellery and see that a website called Vintage Cash Cow accepts these for cash. I wouldn't get much for them but if I refuse offer they will return them post free. I don't pay postage to send them either.

Had never heard of them. There is an old-ish short thread on them: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72315113&highlight=vintage+cash+cow#post72315113 but non-one's posted any real experience :(
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Eirlys wrote: »
    I have lots of broken costume jewellery and see that a website called Vintage Cash Cow accepts these for cash. I wouldn't get much for them but if I refuse offer they will return them post free. I don't pay postage to send them either.

:) You could just offer these as a job lot on the Bay yourself, I know of people who bid on and buy such lots.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh my I'm in tears reading that post, from Greent of Daisy s. Thanks for sharing Daisy. Would you mind if I share it??
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • :D it took two of us to hoist all the goodies out of my cs trolley, that rolser is certainly getting some good use and yes I did look like a bag lady, it was piled high and I had another bag in one hand. Got home had a cuppa and started again, I`ve really got the bit between my teeth and rolser is already half full with very decent books, a few unread like the hardback ketogenic whatsit and mary berrys book, I flicked through and saw a recipe with loads of ingredients for some fancy pheasant dish, that was enough for me, bye bye

Now I am waiting for my camera battery to charge up and I will be listing a couple more things on rav, great big money loss but I would rather they were re-homed and just want to cover my costs with enough left for a box of magnums to cheer myself up, so I don`t brood on bad impulsive decisions made years ago. Oh no can`t do that, must save up, I have an objective
  • :eek: my trolley is full, again. I have just added many knitting books, all brand new and most by rowan. Most I could have got via rav is about £5 each and I always pay PnP so it is not worth the packaging effort. CS can have them and good luck to them. Books are awful heavy to post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure