any guinea pig money saving tips?

Comments

• LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    GPs aren't the best for very small children, although they would probably be ok with your older 2. You would just have to explain that they can only be picked up by a grown up. As said, they are skittish creatures and it only takes a small fall to seriously injure or kill a pig. They make lovely pets for older children and adults though, with sensitive handling. Some adore cuddles, other never take to them; they're all individuals, just as people are.

Yes, they do have scent, but it's a nice warm sort of smell, I think. An indoor cage will smell a little, but you just need to clean them regularly. I prefer 'Essence of GP' over 'Eau de Dog' any day. (do like dogs, just not the smell!)

Personally I love their little (and not so little:rotfl:) noises: they definitely do their best to communicate with humans.
  • Do you have a room indoors they could perhaps have a run around in? I kept our guinea indoors (went in the run in the garden when weather was fine) in a hutch in my sons bedroom. We let her out in the bedroom every day and she used to love chasing my son around the room (he used to shake a plastic bag with lettuce in and she recognised the sound so followed the sound)squeaking away. She lived to the grand age of 8 so obviously it suited her.
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    you can buy cheap crunchy treats to go in the balls, I get a pack of fruity shapes for 89p from pets at home. Or some of the yogurt drops. You can get them from supermarkets now too.
  • LizD_2
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Do you have a room indoors they could perhaps have a run around in? I kept our guinea indoors (went in the run in the garden when weather was fine) in a hutch in my sons bedroom. We let her out in the bedroom every day and she used to love chasing my son around the room (he used to shake a plastic bag with lettuce in and she recognised the sound so followed the sound)squeaking away. She lived to the grand age of 8 so obviously it suited her.

I started them having floor time this weekend, they did have a bit of a trundle around, but I guess it's early days!

I'll try and find some treats for them: they didn't like yoghurty ones or the Gerty Guinea Pig ones, the fussy sods!
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Bumping this back up hoping for some encouragement. We're getting some guinea pigs and I'm a bit nervous about it! How easy are they to look after? What can you do that's money saving? Eg can I use paper from the shredder for bedding?
    I want them to live outside in the summer but can I put them outside on dry winter days?
    Am I worring too much?
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • Charlie1986
    Charlie1986 Posts: 584
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, i've kept guinea pigs for a while now. We use old newspapers to line the bottom of their hutches, shredded paper for bedding ( i change this daily as i have 2 guinea pigs). I also go to the local green grocers and he gives me the off cuts of greens for free to feed them with.
    I do put mine outside on the grass in the winter if it is warm, i use the top part of a cat litter tray and put in some hay so they can go in there if they want to. I also put flower pots in their run with carrots hid in them, and tennis balls that they play with. Also bricks with holes in are good for hiding food in to give them something to do.
    Virgin CC=£2652, Next= [STRIKE]£102.88,[/STRIKE] Very=£475.60, Natwest=£800, Sainsburys CC=£1777.02, Lloyds CC=£498.29, Lloyds Loan= £13,946.18, Car=£4000Total = [STRIKE]£26,147.23[/STRIKE] £23,849.09:eek:
  • nodwah
    Thanks charlie, we were at the animal rescue where the guy said on no account keep guinea pigs outside! Surely that's cruel??
    One other thing, I'm hoping it's okay to put the used bedding in the compost bin, what do you think?
  • Charlie1986
    Charlie1986 Posts: 584
    First Post
    Forumite
    I've always kept mine outside in the summer, from April till around the beginning of October depending on the weather and they have been fine. Just make sure there is plenty of bedding and get something to cover over the front of the hutch at night, I use the blue tarpaulin (sp?).
    I also put mine out in their hutch for the day in winter if it is abit too cold for them to go on the grass and they are fine.
    I put all the bedding in the compost bin, hay, straw, paper etc and it seems to be fine.
    I got my 2 from the rescue centre last year and they also told me not to put mine outside but i have had guinea pigs from when i was around 5 until now (I am almost 21) and all have been fine so far and lived to around 6-7 years.
    Virgin CC=£2652, Next= [STRIKE]£102.88,[/STRIKE] Very=£475.60, Natwest=£800, Sainsburys CC=£1777.02, Lloyds CC=£498.29, Lloyds Loan= £13,946.18, Car=£4000Total = [STRIKE]£26,147.23[/STRIKE] £23,849.09:eek:
  • nodwah
    That's great advice, just what I need. I thought it seems a real shame to keep critters in the house all the time.
    We'll be off back to the rescue centre later on and hopefully the toffee couloured GPs will still be there they were really cute.
    Thanks!
  • LizD_2
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    nodwah wrote: »
    Thanks charlie, we were at the animal rescue where the guy said on no account keep guinea pigs outside! Surely that's cruel??
    One other thing, I'm hoping it's okay to put the used bedding in the compost bin, what do you think?

Sorry, that's rubbish! Pigs can (as mine do) live happily outside in the summer. Just bring them in mid-October to late April, as long as there's a frost risk. Buy the biggest hutch you can afford, if they'll be in it most of the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure