PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting agents viewing for "mortgage purposes"?

My landlord's letting agent contacted me on Tuesday afternoon to ask for access to my flat on Wednesday. Usually I get a week's notice when they want to access, I think the lease says I must get 24 hours' notice, this was less than 24 hours' notice. Odd thing number one. (In an effort to remind them that I'm a good tenant I didn't object to the short notice.)

The person accessing was from the agent's sales department. Odd thing number two.

The stated reason for required access was "mortgage purposes". Odd thing number three.

Do you think my landlord is selling? The fixed term of my lease expires in 2 months.

Comments

• I think if he's not selling he's definitely thinking about it. Probably worth having a look at what's around in your price range to give you a running start...
  • mortgageFTB
    mortgageFTB Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Or your landlord is possibly remortgaging with another lender and this is probably their valuation.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    giddypenguin that's what I thought/was afraid of, but glad that is objectively a possibility and not just me panicking.

mortgageFTB if that's true, wouldn't the lender be doing the viewing/valuation?
  • BLOW_FLY
    BLOW_FLY Posts: 115 Forumite
    Or your landlord is possibly remortgaging with another lender and this is probably their valuation.

Mortgage Providers / Lenders wouldn't use a letting / estate agent to carry out a valuation survey they use their own approved surveyors.

BF
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BLOW_FLY wrote: »
    Mortgage Providers / Lenders wouldn't use a letting / estate agent to carry out a valuation survey they use their own approved surveyors.
    Yes, but presumably the agent would arrange the appointment, rather than the surveyor contacting the tenant directly?
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    bobobski wrote: »
    mortgageFTB if that's true, wouldn't the lender be doing the viewing/valuation?

The agent may be there to let the lender's surveyor/valuer in, as part of the management services on behalf of the landlord? As for it being a sales agent, they may be the only person available at the time, and you don't really need prior background with the property to oversee a valuation.

IF you can be at the appointment, just ask them!
  • This happened to us a couple of years ago and gave us a fright but actually they were just remortgaging. Hope it is the same in your situation ��
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We had to have our BTL property revalued by the Lender Co-op every two years while we were with them.
    Cost us over £500 each time.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bobobski wrote: »
    My landlord's letting agent contacted me on Tuesday afternoon to ask for access to my flat on Wednesday. Usually I get a week's notice when they want to access, I think the lease says I must get 24 hours' notice, this was less than 24 hours' notice. .....
    £5 to an agreed housing charity if the lease says 24hrs notice for valuations. It almost certainly does for "inspections", probably for repairs, but, yes, I will donate £5 if there is a clause permitting valuation visits.

Having said that, worth keeping landlord happy (within reason...)
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    £5 to an agreed housing charity if the lease says 24hrs notice for valuations. It almost certainly does for "inspections", probably for repairs, but, yes, I will donate £5 if there is a clause permitting valuation visits.

Having said that, worth keeping landlord happy (within reason...)

My lease says:
    "[The Tenant must] allow the landlord, the agent, any superior landlord, his agent, professional advisers or authorised contractors to enter the premises with or without workmen and with all necessary equipment. Except in emergency, the landlord or the agent will give the tenant not less than 24 hours' written notice. The tenant is only required to allow access when: [...]
    • a professional adviser has been appointed by or authorised by the landlord or the agent to visit or inspect the premises[...]"

No reference to valuations, sure, but that is the bullet point in its entirety - "visit" is not limited to inspections so could conceivably include valuations. The other bullet points relate to carrying out works, putting up for sale/to let signs, carrying out gas safety checks etc. I agree though, it is definitely worth keeping the landlord happy. Even if he is considering selling, the buyer may well be another investor, in which case a quick "bobobski is a good tenant" may make or break my future here :o

Nikkinakkinoo2017 I do hope you're right! Glad your situation turned out well though.

saajan_12 I did ask and the agent was evasive - just repeated "mortgage purposes".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure