'The PM's energy plan's exactly what people want –but will he do it?' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Plan? There is no plan, merely the on the hoof maunderings of a PM under pressure at PMQ.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • The energy market is already in a mess - without having to spend any money on infrastructure ("keeping the lights on") such as generation, by closing down the "less efficient" generating stations, they've artificially created this shortfall in availability.

What seems to be getting missed is WE WERE PAYING FOR IT ALREADY. Closing generating stations simply made them more money, because when they stopped using them they effectively had no operating costs.

By doing this, they're now in a position to claim that they're having to pay more (and in advance) for the energy they're going to sell to us, when their licence to operate as an electricity provided stated they had to "keep the lights on" by investing in the network and generation.

This "additional expenditure" due to short supply will be passed directly to the customer, with a little bit more on top just for good measure.
  • baby_boomer
    baby_boomer Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2012 at 2:35PM
    It's not what MSE wants.

MSE wants to be able to recommend the best deals to its members!

If fewer people were ripped off, there'd be fewer good deals for MSErs.

That goes for utilities, banking and the rest.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    What about all the previous plans to bring order to the energy market such as investing in renewable generators to help keep prices stable?

We have yet to see any of that feed into the price stucture in spite of all the wind farms that have sprung up.

The gas companies blame the high cost of imports and the electric companies blame the high cost of gas, they just feed off each other.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Martin Lewis has just been interviewed about it on News 24. His long version short "I haven't a clue".
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2012 at 10:47PM
    No he wont because its self defeating. The energy companies countermeasure is obvious. If they really wanted to help they could remove or lower vat or do something about the insane green subsidies.

All this comment has done is show that the prime minister is an utter moron. Even expensive education is a waste it seems...

The green technologies also fail in their primary objective imo but it would only be fair if power companies are bleating about the rising cost put it on the bill in black and white. The governments crazy policy is costing you x
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure