Remember you're a womble - 2016

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just found 1 very real cent in the office corridor :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • chirpycheap
    chirpycheap Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I discovered this thread through the main site and I'm so pleased to have found a group of people who love to get stuff for free. It's always been my little secret from the rest of the world as people sometimes think extreme thriftiness a bit peculiar. My family give me the nickname 'Secondhand Rose' but I would love to be a Womble.

I know that I'm a bit late to join the rest of the gang but is it okay to post and add my own wombling finds? It would be a big incentive for me. I am taking early retirement this year and money is going to be a lot tighter so any way of conjuring money from fresh air is going to be very useful!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hiya Chirpy :wave: lovely to have a new womble on the team!

I think everyone who posts here is proud to be a womble - why be ashamed of making use of freebies, discounts, coupons or YS food? Some of us are lucky roadkill finders, others get fabulous food perks from work or cash back from various sites and all of it adds up. We'd love to hear your wombling adventures :) Secondhand Rose is a name full of vintage chic ;)

Dave - thank you for the kind offer of sending wombled receipts but usually there is a 7 day time scale for claiming points etc. which might mean by the time you've sent them on to someone, they would no longer be claimable. Why don't you keep them yourself and post your totals here - it would be good to see your progress!

Our lovely neighbour presented DH with a detachable trailer tow-hitch for our sit-on mower that he'd made specially for us (bless him). They're about a tenner to buy online, so we were delighted to accept his gift. I'll claim £5, if that's OK? Also four eggies from the girls today = 40p.

Siebrie - your workplace sounds wonderful - they seem to be very employee orientated, which is great! Won't take you long to save for your e-bike now!

I'm waiting to see how the budget affects us here, but I'm hoping we will avoid the sugar tax as I'm pretty strict on fizzy drinks in our house. I make fruit cordial from berries, rhubarb (delicious, even if I say so myself) and citrus fruits, along with the obligatory damson and sloe gins :rotfl:

F0xh0les - do you have a soup maker that does everything for you, or do you cook on a stove? My recent attempts at soup weren't great, so wondering if I should invest in a gadget?
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Welcome to the new contributors.

Siebre You are doing so well with your totals. Hope you can get your bike ok.

Dave As Dizzy says the timescales may make it impractical to send reciepts but thank you for the kind offer. I suppose if there are wombles about in your area they may well find 'your' reciepts anyway.

Foxholes I love soup too. What do you serve the most flavour wise? I love anything curried. I would have to say butternut squash with coconut milk and chilli is my absolute favourite. As it is only the immediate family that I feed I often save scraps of spaghetti or pasta from our plates (or more accurately) my son's plate, then freeze it to add to soups. Obviously not something you can do if you are feeding outsiders.

ChirpyCheap I've assigned you a wombling number on page 1 if you want to use it to post your totals but otherwise welcome and look forward to your contributions.

Dizzy It was an interesting budget. The sugar tax seems to divide opinion still.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • dave2319
    dave2319 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm sure there's no problem with time limits, at these two stores anyway...

Morrisons: "If you do not have your Card with you during an eligible transaction, you may claim points via any in-store Customer Service desk within 30 days by providing your receipt. You may not add points from more than 2 receipts in any 14 day period."

Asda: "Your shop will be available for you to compare for 28 days after you made your purchases.
    You have 28 days from the date you received a voucher after an in-store shop, or from the date your e-voucher reaches your account to use the voucher."

And I'd rather help other people than use them for myself, so I hope people take me up on the offer!
    If no-one's interested here I'll post on my local Freecycle.
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2016 at 10:51PM
    You aren't supposed to share personal info on here anyway, so I think you best offer them elsewhere.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• Thank you very much Dizzy Imp and Bobarella for a lovely warm welcome. I am reading through the thread from start to finish for some wonderful ideas and inspiration. I might even read the 2015 thread once I'm finished.

On my Womble list I plan to include:
    1) Loose change picked up from the ground. I walk a lot and don't notice any most of the time but to be fair my head is in the clouds most of the time!
    2) Found items (within reason). I found a very expensive watch earlier in the year but my conscience meant that I decided to hand it in to the police station.The owner was so happy to be reunited with her watch she gave me £50 of theatre vouchers and a huge bouquet. So perhaps honesty does pay!
    Items dropped or left on the roadside and of lower value I'd feel comfortable with.
    3) Any freebies obtained online
    4) Any competition/quiz night/raffle prizes (I'm ever hopeful)
    5) Any gifts that aren't part of a reciprocal cycle. So if I give someone a £10 gift and they give me one back then it isn't counted but the odd little gifts of jars of jam for feeding nextdoors cat and friends donations of unwanted stuff I will include.
    6) Yellow sticker savings and vouchers used in shopping I'll count but not day to day stuff like my tomato ketchup being 20p cheaper etc!

I've probably missed lots of things but those are ideas I've picked up on here so far! Sometimes I sell stuff on ebay. Do people count that as a Womble? Sometimes I make a profit on what I paid on the item originally and other times it's to get an unwanted item out of the home and it's sold for less than cost price.
    I'm probably over complicating this. it's a bad habit of mine!;)
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    ChirpyCheap You sound like a real pro already. How lovely your watch story is. I once found a mobile phone in the park and tracked down the owner who was rather underwhelmed when I showed up...oh well.

I'd say set your own rules based on what feels right to you. It is a complex challenge really. So many shades of grey to what people think of as wombles.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I work for a wonderful company! We have a very thorough ethical programme, and our executive committee actually makes sure we stick to it. And this year we made a nice profit, so they are sharing it with the employees. In Belgium there is a freeze on salary increases at the mo, but the company is finding nice ways around it in secondary employee benefits. Which reminds me: our meal vouchers (we get one for every day worked fulltime) just went up from €6 to €7.50, and they are recalculating from June 2015! So for this year I will have wombled around...errrm... 180 working days x 1.50 = €270. Wow!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I got 3 high end perfume samples with my latest Boots order so I will claim £3 for these based on the fact I could buy these for as little as £1 each on eBay

Found 1p roadkill on my way to work yesterday. I was lucky to spot it, as it was really murky. I gave it a wash before popping it into my money box

YS whole roast chicken for £4.55, saving me £1.45

1 ticket to see 'Ballet Black' today £10. Kindly paid for by my daughter.

3 for 2 on Sanctuary products at Boots saving me £5.50

3 for 2 on toys for my great nephew saving me £5

# 33 current total = £980.83
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills