Snow Tyres

Comments

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    For the UK I'd consider not putting on summer tyres but saving the money on a spare set of rims and simply having all season tyres, we rarely have extremes so rarely will you get the benefit of a full winter set, and the difference between summer and all season performance is low while they are still considered winter enough to get the mountain mark which means you can use them abroad in places and times where winter tyres are compulsory.

Rarely having extremes, rather depends where in the UK you live though - the OP hasn't mentioned that, I think.

Which brand of all-season tyres are you thinking of when you say they have the 'snowflake on the mountain' symbol?
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    Rarely having extremes, rather depends where in the UK you live though - the OP hasn't mentioned that, I think.

Which brand of all-season tyres are you thinking of when you say they have the 'snowflake on the mountain' symbol?

Kumho KH21s I had on an e46 3-series did for sure, and they were extremely competent including in pretty bad snow and ice in the North East
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    scotty1971 wrote: »
    So would i just look out for 16inch ford alloys?

if you look for alloys for your specific ford model

as different cars may have different offsets so the wheels would not fit correctly, you should be able to pick up a nice set for not to much money
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    ^^ I think most Fords now use the same wheel sizes, even the new Fiesta/KA probably use 16inch wheels like my Mundano.

This might help http://www.wheel-size.com
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • scotty1971
    scotty1971 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    force_ten wrote: »
    if you look for alloys for your specific ford model

as different cars may have different offsets so the wheels would not fit correctly, you should be able to pick up a nice set for not to much money

I have a Ford Grand-Cmax 1.6 diesel.
  • scotty1971
    scotty1971 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Just been having a look around on the net for tyres that would suit my car.When i put the reg in,it says 205/55/16 should be on my car,had a look at the tyres on my car they are 215/55/16!!. Does this effect the car in any way?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Some of these tyre-finder sites are pretty unreliable as they don't seem to cater for all the options and variables.

What does the tyre-pressure label on the car actually say for the sizes - is 215/55 16 actually listed?

Having said that 205/55 16 is a less popular size and likely to cost a few £ more so many owners will go for the next size up the 215/55 16 where there is also a much bigger choice.

As to the effect - the speedo will read just under 2% low - but as most speedos read high it will make not a jot of difference.

As to roadholding, cornering and mpg - that will be improved.
  • gabitzul
    gabitzul Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Having said that 205/55 16 is a less popular size and likely to cost a few £ more so many owners will go for the next size up the 215/55 16 (...) and mpg - that will be improved.

I think you might have got this the other way round...

205/55/16 is one of the most popular tyre sizes - as fitted to most Civics, Focuses, Mondeos, Merc C-Class (W204 as basic size) and so many others.

Also, a wider tyre means there is more resistance (more contact witth the road), so more fuel will be needed. That's why eco (Prius for example, BMW i3) cars have narrow tyres....
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just run them all year round it will be fine. I did that on my V50 2.0d so not that dis similar to a C max. You will get a lot of wear from them as the tread is deeper to start with.
    Ignore people who say they will melt etc, they will not. Go to any European country during the summer and you will see many cars with winter tyres on. their summers are much hotter than ours.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    loskie wrote: »
    Just run them all year round it will be fine. I did that on my V50 2.0d so not that dis similar to a C max. You will get a lot of wear from them as the tread is deeper to start with.
    Ignore people who say they will melt etc, they will not. Go to any European country during the summer and you will see many cars with winter tyres on. their summers are much hotter than ours.
    It's not a case of them "melting" it's simply that they are most definitively not the optimum tyre to have on during dry spring/summer months. The stopping distances, grip etc is going to be heavily compromised. Personally when you need it the most I'd rather be safe in the knowledge that I have the best set of tyres on for the occasion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure