Disagreements with manager and meeting with HR

Options

Comments

• NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Bottom line is that whether you like the way your manager operates or not, they give the orders and you carry them out.

I was always of the view, if it's legal, ethical, and safe - Do it.

There are many I've been told to do over the years - despite the instructed way being slower or giving an inferior product than an alternative I've suggested.

Ultimately your manager owns your labour while you're at work*. If my boss came in tomorrow and said our team support was sick and I was to spend the day photocopying and filing - That's what he's paying me to do.

As has been said - you can suggest, but ultimately it's not your decision.

(*Allowing a caveat for dignity at work and so on...)
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Ader1
    Ader1 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Some of what I was being asked to do wasn't legal. I argued against it.

Somebody at work recommended I tape my conversations with her.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Ader1 wrote: »

So (a) when you spoke to HR, you told them this?, and (b) that also applies to why you don't appear to get on with colleagues?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I dont believe you can legally tape conversations with colleagues without them being aware you are doing so.

It sounds like the manager feels you are undermining them - possibly in front of other colleagues?

If you have absolute concerns about the legality about things being proposed, then you might want to bring this to your manager in a 1:1 environment in the first instance, and then to their manager if you have grave concerns.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options

If what you were being asked to do is illegal it will have come out during discussion with HR. What has their reaction been?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    I dont believe you can legally tape conversations with colleagues without them being aware you are doing so.

It sounds like the manager feels you are undermining them - possibly in front of other colleagues?

If you have absolute concerns about the legality about things being proposed, then you might want to bring this to your manager in a 1:1 environment in the first instance, and then to their manager if you have grave concerns.

You can.

It's just a record of what was said. Pay a professional transcription service to transcribe for any future court / tribunal / police / whatever reasons.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you continue to to stick your head above the parapet it will get shot off.

Keep your head down and do your work, when you meet hr, play the game, tug your forelock, apologise, promise you will build better working relationships and work on your communication skills blah blah, slap on the wrist and back to work.
  • Ader1
    Options
    Well, a couple of weeks ago I had a meeting with the same HR lady and manager in order to review my trial period for the new role I had within the company. The had five points where they weren't satisfied with my performance. They were pretty petty really but they said that I wasn't achieving the high standards expected of the company. I was truly shocked when they told me they would be terminating my contract and gave me the option to resign which I did. The funny thing is that the manager was quite nice to me the preceeding 5 weeks. I think she just knew my time was almost up. Game set and match as they say. But all the while she was collecting 'evidence' about my under-performance. I'm told now that she's telling my old colleagues that they went into the meeting intending to extend my trial period but that my attitude convinced them not to offer me the extension. My ex-colleagues have tended to side with me. She also asked a guy who I am friendly with if I had found work. She's trying to pretend she is concerned. Anyway, that's the end of that.

I'm now unemployed and going for other posts and it says on my CV that I finished working at this company on 30th September. How should I tackle the question about why I left my old post without another job to go to? Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Ader1
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If what you were being asked to do is illegal it will have come out during discussion with HR. What has their reaction been?

I didn't mention it. I should have. Anyway, I know she would have denied it. My word against hers.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A career break.

Left so you could do some DIY projects.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income