Attending Job Interviews whilst employed?

Comments

• McAnniee
    McAnniee Posts: 59 Forumite
    One of the questions I used to ask when I was interviewing people is: "Where does your boss think you are right now?" (For those who were currently employed, of course!)
  • Try & arrange interview first thing in morning or last thing in working day & say you have a docs appt?
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    McAnniee wrote: »
    One of the questions I used to ask when I was interviewing people is: "Where does your boss think you are right now?" (For those who were currently employed, of course!)

And did you get any answers which were not just variations of what's been suggested here?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The safest way is to try to take holiday without giving an explanation of the reason. Failing that just say that you need time of to attend to urgent personal business. Pulling a sickie is always a risk, although you would probably get away with it once or twice.
  • McAnniee
    McAnniee Posts: 59 Forumite
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    And did you get any answers which were not just variations of what's been suggested here?

Body language is everything! :beer:
    (Well, not definitive of course.But you can get a good read on a person.)
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    McAnniee wrote: »

Dont see why that's relevent, If people say he knows I am attending a job interview he really has nothing really to gain by saying this. Best keep his gob shut in my opinion.

If he gives the other answer, he thinks I am taking a days leave who is to know?
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Dont see why that's relevent, If people say he knows I am attending a job interview he really has nothing really to gain by saying this. Best keep his gob shut in my opinion.

If he gives the other answer, he thinks I am taking a days leave who is to know?

Of course it's a relevant question.

It helps form a picture of someone's character. How honest they are, how ambitious they are, etc.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mr_Mango wrote: »
    I'm sort of in the same boat as OP. Currently applying for jobs that are in Manchester/Leeds but I'm based in Nottingham currently. Can't stand my current job but unsure about quitting first before freeing myself up to be able to attend x interviews in the North.

Depending upon company, if you are relocating you could tell them.

I relocated in 2000, my company knew we were moving so knew I was taking time off for interviews. I would try to arrange a couple of interviews in a day as the 3 1/2 hour (on a good day) journey was a pain otherwise.

As it was they were fantastic. I was offered a job, handed in my notice them the job offer was retracted (long story but I was compensated for it with a months pay even though I hadn't worked there). Anyway the company I was workeing for put me onto a weekly rolling contract until I found a new permanent job. As I had already handed over my role I was able to complete some project work for them, plus I was available to help my mom emplacement with any problems.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    mattcanary wrote: »
    Of course it's a relevant question.

It helps form a picture of someone's character. How honest they are, how ambitious they are, etc.

Would you tell your boss then? What would be gained from that? Think most employers could make your life a bit difficult it it was common knowledge you were looking for another job, especially if you didnt get the job you were going for.

Not sure I understand the ambitious part of your answer
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Stylehutz wrote: »

I wouldn't offer a job to someone I interviewed if they told me they had called in sick to their current job to attend the interview
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure