NST Muddy March Marathon

Options

Comments

• short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lurking this month, I have to devise a cunning plan about new work and get some balance in other areas...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I join again this month please? February started so well and then it all went to pot :o
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • ilovetea
    ilovetea Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I join again please.
    Did fairly well on my targets.
    Didn't post much because computer was being silly:mad:.
    Will read through the first post and see what I'm going to do.
    ilovetea xx
    Make £2024 in 2024 £1161.08
    Declutter 2024 things in 2024 994/2024.
    NSD's in Feb Target 20. So far 21/20.
    NSD's in Mar. Target 20. So far 21/20
    NSD's in April Target 20.. So far 20/20
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please count me in :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A warm welcome to turtles old and new.

Day One
    Use It
    I am going to start with an unusual one.
    Use your local services particularly your library.

Local services are under increasing pressure. Council funds are being cut year by year and the demands, particularly for social care needs for elderly and vulnerable people. Last month some people talked about their libraries, the services they offer and some being closed/ under threat of closure. The only thing that can help keep libraries open is numbers through the doors (and online). So use it or lose it.

Check out the facilities at your local library and get involved. Ours has toddler story time, craft and other activities especially in the school holidays (I am miffed at having missed the day when the farm animals visit), beginner computer classes (and kindle/ i-pad days), public access computers and 'social' groups plus books, cds, dvds, games, food bank donation point and a double size wheelie bin for charitable donations.

Use It part 2
    Reading is one of the most relaxing things you can do. I nearly always have a book with me. I read on buses, waiting in the queue at the doctor's. Encouraging your children to read (listening to you read at first) as widely as possible is one of the best things you can do for them. It will underpin their education, they pick up spelling and grammar without effort, and have access to a world of knowledge. So read even when you only have a few minutes to spare. Losing yourself in a good book is joyous.

March budgets
    I have set my food budget at £100 (for me and partly for DS3 and Beloved - they sometimes buy takeaways). Last month it was £120 with £100 as my stretch target. Have also told DS2 he can raid the freezer if he gets stuck (came down with Bell's palsy last month, carried on working but then had a flare up of his acne and had to have time off). Going back to work tomorrow but has a shortfall in his budget.

Travel I have reduced to £20 but hope that I don't need it. Weather permitting I will walk to all my regular outings.

Extras budget is set at £30. Would like to put up the extra eight foot long shelf in my kitchen but need to be well and need someone to help. This also covers social and personal spending.

Not done an audit yet but have a good idea what is in the freezer and can see in the fridge. Working on running down the freezer to clean it out and start again. Tinned/ dry food is all clearly visible (understairs shelves).

Will discuss goals later today.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • SkintTeacher
    SkintTeacher Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm in and can't wait to join you all. I've set goals and budgets. More details to follow. Many thanks Mothernerd for setting up the challenge x
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today is the day that our library is closed! But only for the day, thank goodness. It too has storytime, wriggle and rhyme (or something like that), random after school activities, public access computers, a parcel collection set of lockers. They moved to a 3 week loan period fairly recently, down from 4, which has caught me out a few times, oops! Especially as they also moved to a computerised booking out system so you no longer get it date stamped. It does have a big letterbox to post books through when it is closed, so I have no excuse...

No money spent so far today...

Tying my shoelaces ready for the off...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

Deal me in, please.

Not sure how I'll get on as I've actually a few things on this month.

Although, today shall be a NSD thankfully.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to love libraries as a child and still do. Love the smell. The one we go to is an old victorian building adding to the charm. Also the kids nursery is close so they take trips there. I will definitely check out what else they have going on and start getting book out more often again also for myself.

Today should be SFD number 1. Will be starting on the boiler/walk in store room tonight and finish DD's book day costume.

Will be donning my lycra for a cycle at lunch time.

Happy March Marathon
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • ChasingSunshine
    Options
    I'm with you thrifty, love a good library. As a kid drove the librarian crazy as she wanted us to read age appropriate books but what 8-9 year old wants to read "baby books" when all the good teenage ones were just lying there!! Used to think she was so ancient and mean but she was probably only in her mid to late 50s at the time and actually a really lovely lady when meet her now. Funny how perceptions change so much as we grow up.

Haven't been in to my current local one much but have started using their ebooks which are great. Will make more of an effort to go into the building though, it's on my way home from station so no excuse!!

Today will be a spendy day, need to fill up the car and have to buy my ticket for event later in the month but all budgeted for. Have sent my usual amount across to saving but will probably clear out the holiday fund as away for 10 days at end of the month. Can't come soon enough, feel in desperate need of some time away to just switch off and relax!

Let my exercise and activity slip a lot in Feb but meeting friend for a walk / jog this evening so that will be the start of a better month hopefully. Even if is mainly an excuse for a catch up we should manage quite a few miles!!!

Going to keep the same food budget as last month but actually track it this time so can work out roughly what I am spending and hopefully cut it from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure