Vegan, Bipolar and in Debt.

Comments

• evkizzy
    evkizzy Posts: 128 Forumite
    Hooray for vegan food!
    If you go to the festival and there's an Animal Aid stall you can always find tgem sellibg very posh boxes of Booja Booja chocolates for half price £7 instead of £12-£15. They make great gifts if you want something extra special. Though I like to go to the talks and cookery demos with a notepad to get meal ideas.

Re: Coconut oil.
    Honestly, when it comes to coconut oil it depends what you're using it for. I keep a super cheap tub in the bathroom (for dry/sunburnt skin, sometimes I use it on the ends of my hair or before shaving my legs.) And a tub in the kitchen for eating. If you're going to be heating it or frying it then opt for cheapest option but for eating raw (for health benefits) you'll want cold pressed, (and preferably) organic coconut oil. I got a tub from my local indian food store. Price is inflated often because it's currently a trendy "superfood" but if you check the packaging it will say if it's cold pressed (even much cheaper brands). I pay around £2.50 for my bathroom supply and £4 ish for really good stuff. I'd advise buying it in the Penny Sale at H&B or look on Amazon . You can pay less if you subscribe or buy multiples. Hope that helps. :)
    *This is just my opinion and experience.
    Ev Kizzy Make £10 A Day August Challenge: £364.54/£310
    Loan: remaining balance £771/ £3,500 CCs: paid £194.76/£4436.75
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • evkizzy
    edited 1 August 2016 at 6:09AM
    Hello frugal friends.
    Over the last 6 weeks I've got really into stockpiling, when I see ridiculously cheap deals. For example, this weekend I bought:
    *6 bottles of Mayola (sfv mayo) from H&B in the Penny Sale. I use it in sandwiches and it's usually £1.99-£2.75 a 310g bottle, which can last me 5 weeks -2 months. I bought 6 for £6.That's enough to last me 9 months to a year!

*6 packs of Linda McCartney sausages £1 each at Morrisons (a food staple in our house).

*32 rolls of Plenty kitchen roll (£13.19) should last me 2 years+ and the 48 rolls of Cushelle toilet roll (also £13.19) should last a looooong time too.

I'm aware that's a big chunk of my £95 budget for the month but long term it's a great plan - saving "future me" lots of money. My food shopping has been dictated by what we have in already (tonnes of rices, grains, pulses and legumes) by only adding a few fresh ingredients, and batch cooking, I should be able to spend even less than usual. :)

Our plans for things to do have been focused on free ideas. Saturday dinner was a picnic in the park followed by impromptu cricket with a random family and yesterday we walked to town and back (to get mayola and bread) which took an hour each way. We were exhausted and decided on having hummus salad sarnies while watching Finding Nemo (in preparation for seeing Finding Dory this/next week). Then I went to bed early (probably why I'm awake now) and my SO had a ready meal of chilli and rice from last week.

I managed 13 NSDs in July (I stared this DFD on 21st but have been keeping count since 1st) which I'm quite proud of as it's forced me to assess if I NEED something or just want it. It has made my spending more considered and deliberate.

This week I need to get around to contacting companies to try and get coupons. Do I ask for coupons outright or tell them why I love the product and hope they'll send them?
    I also need to check on my dad as he's not paid me what he owes me yet (£650) and he said I'd get it back by Friday. :S

How was your weekend?
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi there, I can help with the coupons.

Don't ask for coupons directly, (i think it's human nature to be a bit put out if someone directly asks for something) instead what is more effective is saying something true and directly from the heart about why you love the product and how it helps you.

I have written to the following companies with success (admittedly not very vegan friendly)

Kelloggs
    Johnson and Johnson
    Walkers
    Clippers Tea
    Kingsmill
    Activia/Danone
    Muller Yogurts

Although I generally buy own brand/value products anyway, the above brands I do regularly buy or save up for. With each I may have stretched the truth a little but generally what I said I liked was true-for instance with Kelloggs my OH will only eat Kelloggs Rice Krispies, so we never buy anything cheaper. With Clipper Teas I love that they do unbleached tea bags. And Activia yogurts are good for IBS Sufferers and Muller Light Yoghurts are pretty good for people who follow Slimming World plans, which I used to.

If you visit the supermarket coupons page on this site you will pick up some good ones, you will also find a link to the extreme couponing article which is very useful.

Johnson and Johnson generally do most of their coupons through the website everyday caring, but they kindly sent me a voucher, also there is another brand website called something like supersavvyme which is worth a look.

It helps to be creative with it. The article on here recommends writing poems, or i know some people get their children to draw pictures. I usually cover my envelopes in lots of 'well done' or 'good work' stickers, and I send thank you cards (£1.49 for 10 in Card Factory) rather than a standard letter.

I know this is obvious advice which would have occurred to you, but only write to companies you genuinely like or buy regularly. The logic behind this is you can't predict what the companies will send you, some have sent me £3-£5 in Vouchers, some have sent £1. If you write to a company that is expensive to buy, or you only half like, and you get a small value voucher, you might not feel inspired to use it, which would be a waste of time and stamp costs.

When you get your vouchers and live fairly locally to many supermarkets so going to one or the other wouldn't be a bother, make sure you use the mysupermarket website to check for the best deal. If you get a voucher which is for one free product of whatever the product is (lets say teabags), then it would be worth to look to see if any supermarkets are doing buy one get one free on those teabags, so you get two products on one voucher. If you get a £1 off voucher, use mysupermarket to see if that product is £1 anywhere, so you get it for free.

The article about extreme couponing on here is well worth a look as it shows you tips on working out how much the voucher will actually give by the barcode alone.

Final tips! Get a pretty ringbinder and plastic wallets to keep them in, and also create a spreadsheet or put in a notebook the details about the vouchers, e.g. if it can only be used in certain stores, if it's BOGOF, the value of it and also most importantly when it expires.

I wish you the best of luck.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • evkizzy
    edited 2 August 2016 at 2:09PM
    August! Here we go!

I declared £88.01 for Make £10 a Day July Challenge. I joined at the end so I made £8.01 over my goal so I’ve signed up to August to try to beat it.

I’ve suddenly got pet portraits to do out of nowhere so I have already made a £20 deposit and I’ve received £15 in deposits for my supper club on Friday so I’m already up to £35 for Make £10 a Day August Challenge. Hooray!

I shoved a few coppers into my pot for SPC#9 and as I’ve not been out of the house for far, I’ve had 2 NSDs.

As part of the "NST Cut The Chaff” August Challenge (I think that’s what it’s called) I have managed to eat breakfast (PB on toast) on the 1st but not today. Though, in my defense, I was up most of the night being sick as (I think) I accidentally ingested some cleaning products. How you ask? Well, I gave my hob a really deep clean (with Astonish Cream Cleaner - incase you’re wondering what affordable vegan products I use. Cost me £1 from a local hardware store... anyway..) and maybe I didn’t rinse it off enough because I made dinner 10 minutes later and (like a greedy idiot) I picked up a couple of pieces of pasta which fell overboard, onto the very newly cleaned surface, as I was cooking, and ate them without thinking. About 10 mins after I ate I had a stomach ache and from there things got worse. A few Buscopan and some Lansaprasol later, I’m back to normal but think I’ll just stick to coffee for now.

I set myself a £95 food and toiletries budget for August (though I’m paid 4 weekly so I shopped at the weekend- technically July but it’s for August so..). I have so far spent £1.49 on bread and lettuce (got 60p off it with shopitize) so it cost 89p plus some fresh veg. I was very selective so only spent £12.67 at the supermarket. Not my usual Payday big shop of £40. Add that to my stockpiling of items and I’ve £54.04/£95 left for the month. That’s £13.51 a week. I reckon it’s possible... Just.

I’m currently (nervously) drafting an email to Linda McCartney, Nestle re: Shreddies and Cheerios and to Pure (dairy free butter) to see if I can get coupons with (honest) outright flattery, thanks to advice from Florence J. :)

I’m going to the cinema tonight to see Finding Dory at Cineworld with my SO, DM and Aunty. We are using the BOGOF Meerkat Movies plus the 10% off online booking discount to get the tickets for £4.73 each. It’s not as super savvy as going to Odeon for £2.13 each but our Odeon has small screens and not very comfortable seats so this is a big screen treat which I have planned for in my social life budget. I’ll be taking bottled water with me and our own pack of popcorn (from our stockpile).

I paid another £200 off my loan and my CC balance is reducing very slowly (as I just booked our Air BnB for our holiday in Germany in September- will explain why I am going on holiday and how I’ve justified it in a later post). Despite paying out for this I’ve paid enough in (with some of the money my dad owed me and funds from M10AD) that it has stayed the same balance.

Looooong post but it felt like I needed to assess where I’m at to start the month with a bang.
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • evkizzy
    Did you see my naughty trick? I'm claiming that yesterday was a no spend day. I went to the cinema but 'm not paying my SO back for it until Friday. :P
    *The NSTs would put me on the naughty step but I'm sure I can make it up by being more thrifty and frugal and hitting my other August goals like being more mental health aware and being able to make money through selling my unwanted items.*
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • evkizzy
    Morning!
    I'm actually awake at a decent hour. (Thank you diazepam.)

Today is Wednesday or as I like to call it- Chefday. I love being a cook in someone else's home.

I'm hoping for a NSD but I've got to drop some items off (to sell) in a cafe's gift shop, after work, and I'll feel bad if I don't have a drink but my budget doesn't really allow for it... Not if I want something other than water at next week's pub quiz. Hmm...

I'm part of a Co-operative which sells handmade items in "gift shops" (bookcase/shelved area) in local cafes. Part of my volunteering is to run one of the gift shops with a monthly visit to collect money, do the accounts and add more stock. I always buy a coffee as I'm there for a few hours and usually as they have an afternoon deal (and I often forget to eat in the first half of the day) I get a cake for an extra £1. That's tomorrow but can I justify getting a cuppa today? My M10AD has already made me £35. I wanted to throw it at debt but I guess a coffee won't hurt, right? Plus, it will lead to sales if I go. Okay, I've talked myself into it!

Gosh, I'm hyper this morning. I better make it a decaff! :j
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Evy :)

I am a fellow vegan so that caught my eye immediately!

I am in debt too (you'll find my diary link in my signature below) and am aiming for Aug 2017 to be my DF (debt Free) date.

YOu sounds like you are doing really well already! I only just started last week and hope i do as well!
  • evkizzy
    Yesterday was my first spend day. After work, I bought 3 tins of cheap toms for £1 and found tins of pineapple for 17p each (BB 6/7/18) in the clearance section of Tesco (so I bought 6 for my stockpile). I paid my partner back for the movie, paid my half (£5) towards our monthly (budgeted for) takeaway -Aubergine and veg in black bean with boiled rice (naught but nice). I put half of it in to a Chinese tub and put it in the freezer for later in the month. We watched 1 hour of tv with food then he did the pots and read while I had a much needed soak in the bath with a face mask (Amiee brand from Waitrose-bought on a BOGOHP), followed by a really early night (asleep by 9 and I'm an insomniac).Today I have a (planned) v-meet-up at 12 in a town just outside of my city, however my lift cancelled on me so I'll have to catch the bus (£4+ one way).!!I will have to take the money out of my M10AD cash (currently sitting in a holding jar ready add to my SPC at the end of the month).
    Still no alcohol.

Thanks W2BSE!

I'm hoping that by adding some of my sfv finds it will help others out while debt-busting and penny pinching!
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    evkizzy wrote: »
    Yesterday was my first spend day. After work, I bought 3 tins of cheap toms for £1 and found tins of pineapple for 17p each (BB 6/7/18) in the clearance section of Tesco (so I bought 6 for my stockpile). I paid my partner back for the movie, paid my half (£5) towards our monthly (budgeted for) takeaway -Aubergine and veg in black bean with boiled rice (naught but nice). I put half of it in to a Chinese tub and put it in the freezer for later in the month. We watched 1 hour of tv with food then he did the pots and read while I had a much needed soak in the bath with a face mask (Amiee brand from Waitrose-bought on a BOGOHP), followed by a really early night (asleep by 9 and I'm an insomniac).Today I have a (planned) v-meet-up at 12 in a town just outside of my city, however my lift cancelled on me so I'll have to catch the bus (£4+ one way).!!I will have to take the money out of my M10AD cash (currently sitting in a holding jar ready add to my SPC at the end of the month).
    Still no alcohol.

Thanks W2BSE!

I'm hoping that by adding some of my sfv finds it will help others out while debt-busting and penny pinching!

A Vegan Meetup sounds great. We used to have these in a town near me, but they stopped doing them.

Your early night sounds lovely. I think i might have a few of those soon!
  • evkizzy
    W2BSE check out
    The Facebook group Vegan Finds UK for supermarket offers.

Today I spotted tonnes of bargains but managed to resist most of them. I saved £3 buy not buying cleaning products. I still have some left so I'll restock when I run out.
    I finally got Quidco to accept my (repeatedly rejected-for no reason) waitrose receipt and got £13+ into mu tracking account. Will draw the money out when it's ready. I went to the meet up today and was there much longer (5hours) than I planned so I bought an extra coffee AND my lift cancelled on me so I ended up getting the bus which was £4.05 I hadn't budgeted for. The driver let me off 5p as he didn't have enough change so I'm counting it as roadkill for my SPC.

It turns out that planning super tight budgets are difficult without a true figure of what you actually spend on food/social life/ misc items... a month. Will work out tomorrow what I need to transfer from the holding pot to my food money. I know I have more pennies coming in soon from bits and bobs... v tired. Big day of cooking for my supper club tomorrow will update about my food disaster and holiday situation tomorrow. Night all.
    NST No.17 for August.
    SPC9 - #554
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business