Good Things:j
    • Been paid.
    • Been paid bonuses
    • All expenses up to date
    • Worked in other office - £20 profit
    • Energy switch all gone through now
    • Discovered I will also get £30 cashback from that
    • Did our first meerkat movie on Wednesday, it was fun
    • All vacuuming is done - just the bathroom to do and the house is all clean
    • The Gardens are looking great. The husband has put stripes in the lawns and my colourful bulbs have come up in the back. I love Spring!
    • Going to a hen do this afternoon. A thrifty one. £35 for hot tub and cocktail making and fizz and food in hen's friends garden.
    • So far have not had any urge to splurge with the bonus, which is a minor miracle. I will buy a mattress topper for the new mattress (the husband hates the memory foam one) and the husband wants a lawn edging tool, but beyond that there's nothing I need.
    • Feeling like we have brought the reckless entertainment spending back under control.

Bad Things:exclamati
    • No news on whether we can bank the cheque. I hope so because the husband has already given the stepchildren some of it.
    • Exercise and eating not very good at the moment. I have contemplated going back to the personal trainer for 4 weeks to kickstart me on this. With some of my bonus. What do you guys think?
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • If your personal trainer has worked before and will motivate you to work out and get fit, then definitely go for it. You're allowed to use a little bit of your bonus on yourself and that is a very healthy and positive way to use it :-)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It is lovely and sunny here this morning. Why not go for a bit of a walk in the country? I will be, in an hour's time - somewhere with Spring flowers and good views to enjoy. For me it beats someone urging me on. I used to train a team of men for their sport and I could regularly impose a bit of pain and suffering. Maybe things have changed in the intervening years but I'd rather go for the walk this morning iyswim
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If your personal trainer has worked before and will motivate you to work out and get fit, then definitely go for it. You're allowed to use a little bit of your bonus on yourself and that is a very healthy and positive way to use it :-)

It really worked last year, a stone off which has more or less stayed off. I would like to lose another 10lb, (to get to 9st). I got down to 9st 6 earlier this year but I'm back up to 9st 10 again and can't seem to get my mojo back :o
    It is lovely and sunny here this morning. Why not go for a bit of a walk in the country? I will be, in an hour's time - somewhere with Spring flowers and good views to enjoy. For me it beats someone urging me on. I used to train a team of men for their sport and I could regularly impose a bit of pain and suffering. Maybe things have changed in the intervening years but I'd rather go for the walk this morning iyswim

Well she's fully booked so that answers that dilemma. I will dig out my programme from her for last year and try to follow it.

Maybe that will give me something else to post about too
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Good things:j
    • Had my mum round yesterday, cooked her lunch and took her to the garden centre and got hers and mil's Mother's Day pressies
    • Went to the hen do which was fun and didn't spend any more money than the £35 I had already paid in feb
    • That's a lie, I spent £5 on a patio rose for the hostess
    • All Mother's Day spends were £30

No bad things

Today I am taking a card to my MIL, AP a 80 mile round trip to make sure she gets it today (the husband is going round tomorrow to see her, he's at work today). Then meet my mum for afternoon tea with my sister. Morrisons shop at 4. Need to plant some bulbs.

Best get moving!
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Good things:j
    • Planted 95 bulbs
    • Spent only £10 taking mum out
    • Got Mil's card and present to her (although she wasn't in)
    • Have got 64 days free trial on YNAB
    • Ordered cat food on offer
    • bought just what I needed in boots today and wasn't seduced by fancy new things
    • couple more debt payments, signature updated.
    • cf fund looking healthy. It's where I've hidden my bonus. If it's all still there are the end of the month, I'll pay it off the Mbna card, whose 0% deal runs out soon.

Bad things:(
    • Spent £110 in boots. That's because the serum I wanted was 3 for 2, but it's still a lot of money, on the plus side, the cost per ml was pretty good.
    • I think I hate YNAB. Maybe it's because I have the snivels but I nearly blubbed in frustration at it.

No exercise.
    Around 250 cals of choc
    Debt today £37417
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 March 2017 at 10:27PM
    What sort of bulbs are you planting at this time of year?

250 cals of chocolate! I hope it was worth it Paws! (Don't say, "I can have it if I want it..." - I know you can, but it won't shift the 4lbs. Enough of the lecture...:( )
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi paws, well done on the bulbs - that is a LOT! :D

YNAB - I find it frustrating as well because we are paid 4-weekly and not monthly and it doesn't give you the option to do your budget 4-weekly. :( At least it didn't last time I attempted it. I think it would be good if I could get it to work for us but I must confess to giving up on it. :o

I was in Boots today and managed to resist the 3 for 2 on make-up as only really needed the foundation and found myself hunting for other things to buy just to get the 3 for 2. :cool: I realised it was pointless because I didn't actually need the other stuff. :rotfl: If you're going to use the serum and it's a saving I think you can cut yourself some slack. :)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • boxofpaws
    What sort of bulbs are you planting at this time of year?

250 cals of chocolate! I hope it was worth it Paws! (Don't say, "I can have it if I want it..." - I know you can, but it won't shift the 4lbs. Enough of the lecture...:( )

I planted freesias and gladioli. So late summer bulbs. But I also planted a load of spring bulbs that I gathered up from the garage that I should have planted last year but never got round to. :o. Crocuses, daffs and narcissi. I hope they'll be alright, I know they won't flower til next year but I just wanted to get them in finally.

And I know I know about the choc. :o

Two embarrassed smileys in one reply
    sashybo wrote: »
    Hi paws, well done on the bulbs - that is a LOT! :D

YNAB - I find it frustrating as well because we are paid 4-weekly and not monthly and it doesn't give you the option to do your budget 4-weekly. :( At least it didn't last time I attempted it. I think it would be good if I could get it to work for us but I must confess to giving up on it. :o

I was in Boots today and managed to resist the 3 for 2 on make-up as only really needed the foundation and found myself hunting for other things to buy just to get the 3 for 2. :cool: I realised it was pointless because I didn't actually need the other stuff. :rotfl: If you're going to use the serum and it's a saving I think you can cut yourself some slack. :)

YNab - for me I think it's because we get paid on 21st. And it doesn't count the money unless you actually have it. But takes my mortgage off even though I'll get paid again before that comes out. Frustrating!

There is an article about mid month pay days. I don't think it will help with 4 weekly pay days though.

I did buy foundation and concealer too at boots, it seems I need to trowel it on these days :D
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • I know I say this all the time, on lots of threads, but do persevere with YNAB. It took us 3 months to fully get to grips with it, but the benefits have WAY outweighed that hassle.

Also, I think it's good that it operates monthly, not four-weekly, as it forces you to asses bills monthly (which is how we generally receive/pay them). My income is sporadic and unpredictable, and YNAB helps smooth the bumps and dips now that we've got the hang of it. Search for videos/advice for your circumstances and give it a couple of months. We took two 'fresh starts' to fully master it all.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback