Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Comments

• khizman
    khizman Posts: 527 Forumite
    Rikki wrote:
    We have a Netto opened up near us, closer than lidl's. Can any one give me a clue about what they sell. Its not a bulk buying type place is it?
    No not at all,
    Its really about bringing big brands at low prices. Every week they have new stock they have some stuff that is their own brand but plenty of own branded goods.
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Aldi - Wine too many to mention but often voted best buy in some of the mags that do comparisons, cut flowers, concentrated washing up liquid, baked beans, tinned tomatoes and their Irish? fruit loaf which is great toasted.

Lidl - fruit and veg which is often Half price and is fresh daily in ours so does keep well ... dark chocolate bar and just in for Christmas chocolate gingerbread biscuits in a blue box about £3.75 . My mum bought them last year for a neighbour but I thought they didn't look that great on the box so we decided to try them first. I was so impressed that I kept the box front so I could buy some this year.
    Frozen cod/haddock pieces in batter/breadcrumbs, pastrami, sliced ham, butter, mature cheddar. tinned rice pudding,and fresh turkey breast.

I've only bought their specials at Netto but they do sell Ubbly Greek style yogurt 41p for a large pot which is great.

I do think its a case of buy and try as its often down to individuals taste. Watch what people are buying too.
  • Lidl
    Anything chocolate, fruit juice, cereal - chocolate moons are especially nice
    Smoked Salmon - really cheap so you swank at dinner parties and tastes really yummy.
    Cherry brandy
    My fussy cat who wouldn't eat anything except whiskas also like the complete cat food. :D
    :snow_laug HM Christmas 2010
    Knitted squares - [STRIKE]6[/STRIKE]13. pages of ideas - [STRIKE]7[/STRIKE] 19:rotfl:
  • ALDI! For really good strong coffee, bottles of cereal filled yoghurt drink, complete dog food (the dog loves it anyway!!!) are always a winner in our house.

Don't bother with the pancakes or the butter though - not good!!!
    !!!!!! happens!!!:D
  • leem_3
    leem_3 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Aldi do a Thai Red Curry sauce in a jar costing about 75p and it is excellent, also their fresh lasagna in chiller cabinet, and Washing powder - Colour biological, very large box for about £3.50 - was sceptical about this but thought I would give it a try I have two kids - this is good stuff! Last Christmas bought a frozen turkey crown stuffed with cranberries and orange - this was huge would easily feed 6-8 and cost about £8.99, just noticed back in stock though are now £9.99 Do not buy tinned spagetti.
  • sheffix1
    sheffix1 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Shop at all three.....
    Highlights at each are Netto for some great wine bargains.
    Aldi great for Italian or Colombian coffee, Continental Butter, Fruit and Fibre cereal, Meatballs, 99p Stone Baked Pizzas, Wines and Beers and a whole lot more.
    Lidl for fruit and veg especially on half price days, plain chocolate with hazelnuts for 85p 200g, great selection of cold meats.
    That's just off the top of my head.
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Lidl

Buy
    Their W5 cleaning products - like foam bathroom cleaner
    Tinfoil - really strong & good quality
    Apple juice
    Fresh Rocket
    German Beer
    Ice Lollies (the ones with the ice-cream in the middle) same as Solero's
    Marscapone ice-cream
    pizzas
    deodorant
    skin-cream
    some of the cheeses
    cooked meat
    new potatoes
    cakes and chocolate
    diet pepsi @ 69p 2 ltrs

Don't buy
    Tins of chilli con carne & chunky soup - YUK
    Bread
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • zeberdy
    zeberdy Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All,

Love the thread was speaking to a friend at work about the price of our shoppng at Sainsburys that was out of control family of 4 with 2 kids and she said have you tried Aldi no I said so a while a go I popped in.

At sainsburys a few items cost about £20 while at Aldi you can fill your truck for that But I do think they have increased their prices recently troubl is what we save on the food I spend opn the offers on thursday !!!

Not this thread but Iceland is across the road and their deals are excellant value especially the Milk 2ltr 4 pinys old money for a £1 .

If I ever get rich poerhaps I can go shopping at sainsburys again nice stuff but expensive anyway thanks to some of you guys I have become a tesco points Tart.

Zeberdy
  • pdoff
    pdoff Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    netto cheap brown bread is better than any other bread including the expensive ones - it is all personal taste but even my 3 year old likes this! look out for toy bargains, have had a few things for a quarter of the price in the studio catalogue before now.
    Cleaning the house while children are growing is like shovelling snow when it's still snowing!
  • juliet_f
    juliet_f Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    Fruit juices from Lidl are great, esp the apple, peach and pear juices. Also their chocolate is Fab!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure