Average water rates>?

Comments

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    carol_a wrote:
    Thank you Noozan for the advice, I wasn't sure if having a meter was a reversible descision but, if it is, I think I will seriously consider it. Where abouts are your parents? I'm in Falmouth.

If you go to the SWW website http://www.swwater.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=498 you can use the estimator to see if you would be better off having a meter. There is also a questions and anwsers option at the bottom of the page which tells you about reverting back to rates if you are not happy.

My parents are in Redruth. I was renting up until the middle of last year but we couldn't afford to buy a shoe box in Cornwall so ended up moving to Fife where my OH is from.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Yes, the house prices have got ridiculous here too I agree. I've lived here since 1980 so only paid £12,000 for my first house! Thanks for the info about doing an estimation, I think that's the one I did last year and it did work out more than the bills, must be the four loads of washing I do for my daughter when she comes home from uni once a fortnight that bumps it up! At least you can go back to the set charge if you don't like the meter within 12 months so I may think it over again. Thanks again and I hope you're happy in bonny Scotland.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    The size of your property doesn't matter if you are metered. 4 people in a huge mansion will not, on average, use more water than 4 people in a tiny house.

There will be a small extra charge if the surface water drains into a sewer.

I can't see how 3 people, with the odd visitor, could have a bill of £500+ if they were on a meter. I would have thought £300 would be on the high side.
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you think about it, if you're paying extra to a water company to clean up the local environment then this means you're paying extra council tax.

I know council tax doesn't cover this but I think it should, the fact it doesn't just shows government isn't doing a very good job with its finances.

I have a problem with buying a water meter. I just think it's morally wrong to be charged for water per unit.
  • Hi,

I have just moved into a 3 bed property in Walsall, the posh part, but my water bill in £800 pa. Surely this can't be right???
  • Cardew
    sidney786 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just moved into a 3 bed property in Walsall, the posh part, but my water bill in £800 pa. Surely this can't be right???

Presumably you are not on a meter but are charged on the old Rateable Value(RV) system.

With Severn Trent £800 could be for a house with an RV of £400 - easily possible in Walsall(I wasn't aware it had posh parts;)

Look at the RV on your bill.

With a meter with say 4 occupants you should be looking at around half of that cost
  • leeroy221
    leeroy221 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Hi all,

I really wish mine was a cheap as some listed on here :)

I live in a 3 bed house with my wife and 6mth old baby. We only use one bedroom, no dishwasher, i shower 1 in the morn before work, the wife has a shower before bed, the baby has his little bath, the washing is done every saturday, 1 or 2 washes and there is no hosepipe. I pay £85 p/m with South West Water! I think its an absolute rip off!! We use very little but somehow they justify these huge bills, was paying every 3 mth but have just switched to the monthly because was struggling to pay the big bill in one go.

I said to SWW that the usage seems very high on the bill and that we use very little, they basically said just try to lower your usage and not to shower every day, cheek of it.
  • Cardew
    leeroy221 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I really wish mine was a cheap as some listed on here :)

I live in a 3 bed house with my wife and 6mth old baby. We only use one bedroom, no dishwasher, i shower 1 in the morn before work, the wife has a shower before bed, the baby has his little bath, the washing is done every saturday, 1 or 2 washes and there is no hosepipe. I pay £85 p/m with South West Water! I think its an absolute rip off!! We use very little but somehow they justify these huge bills, was paying every 3 mth but have just switched to the monthly because was struggling to pay the big bill in one go.

I said to SWW that the usage seems very high on the bill and that we use very little, they basically said just try to lower your usage and not to shower every day, cheek of it.

Your problem I am afraid is living in the South West.

SW Water's charges for both metered and non-metered are over twice as high as some other areas of UK.

If you are not metered it will probably pay you to get a meter as your charges shouldn't be as high as £85 a month - even in the SW.

If meter did not turn out cheaper, you can always revert to your old charging basis.
  • leeroy221
    leeroy221 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Yes, indeed it is a pain living in the South West! We are on a meter and that has been there since we moved into the property 1 1/2 years ago. I always question the charges i get but i get very annoyed with their response of take less showers!

I am renting the property and as the meter has been installed since we moved in, can i still revert back to the old style rates?
  • Cardew
    leeroy221 wrote: »
    I am renting the property and as the meter has been installed since we moved in, can i still revert back to the old style rates?

Unfortunately NO!

Only the person who requested the meter can revert within 12 months. The meter remains in situ however and the new occupant is metered.

How many cubic meters per year are you using - for how many people?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure