Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??

I understand that from April 2008 persons over 60 can obtain free bus and rail passes but you have to apply before the end of Sept and send in a passport type photo. Can anyone tell me where I get an application form from please. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hi, I just called in at my post office filled in the form and gave the lady my photo. If your bus pass that you are using now runs out before march next year you will need 2 photo's. hope that has helped you. Ritaing.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    I know about the bus pass, but not sure about the rail pass. Pl can you tell me more about it!! Thanks
  • Also note that the scheme is for "local" travel, not long distance. You might be able to get from Carlisle to Bodmin for free, but you would have to do it on a series of local services!

I think the national scheme is for local buses only but some areas include rail and tram services as well (possibly just for their own local people).
  • msmo_2
    msmo_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    In Mid Wales where I live, we have had these concessions for a few months now. They are for anywhere withing Wales, If we overstep the border however, we pay the addittional add on charge, which is a small amout. very very usefull... thanks to the Welsh assembly :)

Ex Brummie msmo :)
  • Can you get a discount on public transport travel on the continent (France and/or Spain) when in receipt of e.g. an Invalidity Pension? My FIL asked this question the other day, a carrot possibly to persuade him to travel with us next time....
    Any information links would be appreciated. Sorry, but thhis may be the wrong thread to post this question.
  • I can't say about Invalidty Pension but I got a reduction on French trains just for saying I was over 60 - no ID required even.
    In UK there is a separate Senior Rail card which gives you a discount on all tickets. It costs £20 per yr but a couple of longish journeys can easily recoup the initial outlay. However there are sometimes better special offers available without the card.
    In West Yorkshire the Metro card for seniors gives free bus travel within the area - you can go beyond and pay extra at the start of your journey for the section outside West Yorks. we can also go on local trains for 35p. with the metro card
  • I understand that from April 2008 persons over 60 can obtain free bus and rail passes but you have to apply before the end of Sept and send in a passport type photo. Can anyone tell me where I get an application form from please. Thanks in advance
    If this is your first pass then you can get a form from the post office.
    I live in South Glos. and have recently received a letter from the Local Authority (who issue the passes) asking me to fill in a new form for next year as it would seem that we are all going to get a National Bus Pass in place of the local one in issue at the moment. A new photo was not required
    as they had a copy of my existing photo. Hope this helps.

:beer: Have one on me .
  • Biggles14 wrote: »
    If this is your first pass then you can get a form from the post office.
    I live in South Glos. and have recently received a letter from the Local Authority (who issue the passes) asking me to fill in a new form for next year as it would seem that we are all going to get a National Bus Pass in place of the local one in issue at the moment. A new photo was not required
    as they had a copy of my existing photo. Hope this helps.

:beer: Have one on me .
    But will it include local rail travel.I ask because as a registered disabled pensioner I buy a pass that gives me a concession for myself and another, and it cost me £18.00 in July of this year for rail travel only.I have a local bus pass for Kent that gives me free travel at the moment
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I filled a form in this week currently have a West Midlands pass that covers bus and local rail services, I had to attach another photo to it even though I only had my over 60s local pass in February. The form had to be sent back to them by 30th September, it said if not returned by that date i would not get the pass. This could have been a problem as I was on holiday when the form was sent to me so only got it on Tuesday 22nd, good job I did not have a longer holiday.
  • JackieO wrote: »
    But will it include local rail travel.I ask because as a registered disabled pensioner I buy a pass that gives me a concession for myself and another, and it cost me £18.00 in July of this year for rail travel only.I have a local bus pass for Kent that gives me free travel at the moment

As you are in receipt of a concession for rail travel at the moment I can only assume that it will continue. I can only comment on what happened to me regarding the Bus Only Pass.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure