Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• nicka99
    nicka99 Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2014 at 2:23PM
    my flight BA396 was cancelled yesterday afternoon due to engine problem that they couldnt fix. The next (last) flight out was full so they could only offer travel this morning which was no good to me so I gave up and came home.

I booked through Opodo as my return flight was with SN Brussels today. How do I get a refund and compensation ? Do I go through Opodo or BA ? Can I get the return flight refunded back since they failed on the outbound ? I tried calling their helpline but eventually get to a prerecording saying they have a very large number of calls and hangs up. 'Manage My Booking' gives me no options for refund or compensation.

What do I do ?
  • pineapple123
    pineapple123 Posts: 717 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 June 2014 at 5:33PM
    Any advice please ... Is it worth claiming. just returned from USA flight out there was 4 hours delayed and no one was happy how it was managed.
    Firstly checked in and boarded flight at 10.50 take off noticed really hot and stuffy air con wasnt working we sat on the plan with engines running for about 30 minutes it was sweltering was then informed techinical difficulties prevented take off so would inform us of situation in 15 minutes then 30 minutes by now we had sat on the plane for over hour with engines still running, no air con, really hot, some people complaining they felt faint we were not allowed off the plane until about 12.20 then we could only go into the walk in bit for another 10 minutes before being allowed into the departure lounge. there we were not allowed to leave the room and had to go back onto the plane if needed the toilet. Drink machine was not working so most people were offered half a cup of water.
    We were kept informed what was happening and after about 50 minutes we were allowed out of area and let back into main part of building before having to go back through boarding again before departing 4 hours 10 minutes later. Some people were offered £5 food/drink voucher but when I enquired about what was happening about the flight I wasnt informed of this or any other information.

Just to add I know techinical difficulties arise but I feel abit annoyed we should have ever been allowed to board the plane in the first place.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Any advice please ... Is it worth claiming.

Certainly worth reading the FAQs.
  • Hello

We returned from New York a couple of days ago to Heathrow on a delayed flight. The package was booked with Expedia with BA flights but the return journey was operated by American Airlines.

With regards to seeking compensation, would I look to BA or AA for this and I assume the European ruling will mean nothing if I have to go to AA?

Thank you
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lollipop2 wrote: »
    We returned from New York a couple of days ago to Heathrow on a delayed flight. The package was booked with Expedia with BA flights but the return journey was operated by American Airlines.

With regards to seeking compensation, would I look to BA or AA for this and I assume the European ruling will mean nothing if I have to go to AA?

you claim from the airline which operated the flight so no compo
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lollipop2 wrote: »
    Hello

Thank you
    Correct - if your delay was with AA into Europe, then no compensation due.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Heaply
    Heaply Posts: 3 Newbie
    I bought a through ticket to Victoria Falls from BA, which consisted of a BA flight to Jo'burg and connecting South African Airways flight to Vic Falls. Although sold as a "connecting flight", it wasn't. The time between the 2 flights was totally inadequate to make this connection, even with no significant delay to the BA flight. I therefore had to wait for the next day's flight and arrived 24 hours late.

BA tell me that because there was no delay involved, I cannot claim compensation under EU delay laws. They take no responsibility for selling me a ticket that had no possibilty of delivering me to my destination on time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and has anyone any advice?

Thanks in advance if you have.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Heaply wrote: »
    I bought a through ticket to Victoria Falls from BA, which consisted of a BA flight to Jo'burg and connecting South African Airways flight to Vic Falls. Although sold as a "connecting flight", it wasn't. The time between the 2 flights was totally inadequate to make this connection, even with no significant delay to the BA flight. I therefore had to wait for the next day's flight and arrived 24 hours late.

BA tell me that because there was no delay involved, I cannot claim compensation under EU delay laws. They take no responsibility for selling me a ticket that had no possibilty of delivering me to my destination on time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and has anyone any advice?

Thanks in advance if you have.

How did you book your ticket? looking at the BA website, there are a number of different options shown that you can select from, each of these show the times of the flights so you can work out the time between them. Each airport has a minimum connection time and airlines are not able to sell through tickets unless they meet that requirement. (I would personally have likely selected a longer connection/earlier flight from London)

The minimum connection time at JNB for International to International is 60 minutes and 90 minutes from International to domestic, the shortest connection being sold is 1 hour and 45 minutes which should be do-able. Were your bags not checked through? were there issues with immigration

useful thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1341419-guide-connecting-johannesburg-jnb.html
  • Hi all, apologies if this has been done before but any advice would be appreciated.

I was delayed for 6 hours from LHR-DUB 24th May last year when a BA flight diverted back into LHR after losing it's engine cowlings on take-off. This was later proved to be BA's fault.

I have written to BA countless times arguing that as this was shown to be an engineering failing, I am liable for compensation. However they have repeatedly blamed "airspace restrictions" which are outside of their control. I am an air traffic controller and have pointed out to them that these restrictions always have a root cause (in this case their shoddy maintenance) but still they refuse to pay up. I have appealed to the CAA twice and despite reopening the case and referring it back to BA, they have now upheld BA's argument that it was not their fault. After nearly a year of complaints BA have now changed their story from one of "airspace restrictions" to "adverse weather." I have obtained the LHR weather for that day (perk of the job) and there was nothing worse than light rain all day, in short, in twelve + years of experience in the aviation industry, weather which I have NEVER seen to be poor enough to create flight delays.

BA and the CAA have said they consider the matter closed and will now no longer correspond with me. Before I go down the route of MCOL, or NWNF, does anyone know of any success stories from this particular day (there were mass cancellations and delays) which I could cite as precedent along with my threats of legal action?

Any help which you could offer would be very much appreciated. BA have been beyond arrogant in this matter and this really now is about a principle. One of their customer advisors made a slip on the phone and advised me "we've been instructed that we will be refusing all claims from that day." So I think it's about time, if they haven't already, that they were made accountable!! :mad:
  • Heaply
    Heaply Posts: 3 Newbie
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    How did you book your ticket? looking at the BA website, there are a number of different options shown that you can select from, each of these show the times of the flights so you can work out the time between them. Each airport has a minimum connection time and airlines are not able to sell through tickets unless they meet that requirement. (I would personally have likely selected a longer connection/earlier flight from London)

The minimum connection time at JNB for International to International is 60 minutes and 90 minutes from International to domestic, the shortest connection being sold is 1 hour and 45 minutes which should be do-able. Were your bags not checked through? were there issues with immigration

Caz2131 - thanks for your comments. In answer to your questions, the ticket was booked on the BA website and yes, the bags were checked through. We traveled last Jan, and the flight times were different then. The BA flight was scheduled to arrive at 0940, and the SA flight departed at 1050. With hindsight, I know that is tight, but when the BA website gives it as an option for a connecting flight, you assume it is possible. SA have confirmed to me that they close check in for this flight 50 minutes before take off. They describe it as a "regional" flight (SA to Zimbabwe), but perhaps it counts as domestic (it leaves from terminal B), in which case the connection time should be 1hr 45min. BA have relayed on the fact there was over one hour connecting time to claim that they have no responsibility for selling a ticket that was never going to be able to deliver what it was contracted to do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback