Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You must have very strange principles if you regard any mini cash ISA as anything but ethical.

Certainly any building society ISA is almost without doubt ethical - your money is funding mortgages, entirely or in the main.

What precisely are you worried about your ISA being unethical for?
  • malross
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    Certainly any building society ISA is almost without doubt ethical - your money is funding mortgages, entirely or in the main.

Maybe I'm being naive, but if that's the case, how come very few such accounts are advertised as being ethical? And why do those that do advertise themselves as such make a big hoo-har about it?

Mal.
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April 2009 at 11:18PM
    Options
    malross wrote: »
    This might not be the best place to ask, but does anyone have information on the best ethical mini cash ISAs? I doubt they'll be the best overall and therefore probably not included in post #1, but any info on ethical stuff would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mal.

Hi Mal,

I think everybody has to decide for themselves what they consider to be ethical. There are several threads on the forum that have explored this. You may wish to search the forum for threads on Triodos Bank, Charity Bank, Ecology Building Society and Co-operative Bank and decide for yourself. (Edit: Mal, this page will tell you why Ecology BS think they are different from all other building societies.)

This thread is probably not the best place to discuss the ethics of different banks and building societies - you might want to start a new thread of your own if you don't find what you need from searching the forum for previous posts.

To answer your original question, the Charity Bank ISA is currently paying 3% interest and allows transfers in. That might suit you.

SS2

Edit: The Ecology Building Society and Triodos Bank have cash ISAs that are paying 1% in case you are interested in those instead.
  • sofa_surfer
    sofa_surfer Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Kazza242 wrote: »
    • Marks & Spencer Money Advantage ISA - 3.10%
      Rate guarantee? No. Rate effective from: 22/01/2009.
      Minimum deposit: £100. Operated via: Post or Telephone.
      Important: Rate includes a 1.00% bonus until 21/04/2010.
      **M&S card holders are being offered 2000 M&S loyalty points to open or transfer into this account (equal to £20). To receive the bonus points application pack, call M&S money quoting ID09.
    Called today (snooping whether possible to get once more 20 000 loyalty points if I transfer my 2008/09 Cash ISA as well to them ), but the CS rep told me the promotion was only for applications/transfers during the 2008/2009 year... well there's no harm in asking again though :)
    iaye carramba!
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    Manchester BS are offering a good rate of 3.56% on it's variable rate Premier ISA Issue 45- Issue1.,minimum £1000 needed to open the account , accepts transfers in.

http://www.themanchester.co.uk/mbsnew/default.asp
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    fullstop wrote: »
    Manchester BS are offering a good rate of 3.56% on it's variable rate Premier ISA Issue 45- Issue1.,minimum £1000 needed to open the account , accepts transfers in.

http://www.themanchester.co.uk/mbsnew/default.asp
    The required 45 days notice period could prove to be a problem for some savers:
    Closures, withdrawals and transfers out are permitted by providing 45 days notice.
  • dmd22
    dmd22 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a quick question for me... In February 2009 I transferred my existing ISA savings from ING to Northern Rock to improve the rate received (I had filled my 08-09 allowance with ING). Now that we are in the new tax year would I be allowed to open a regular savings ISA with 1st Direct for this years £3600? Or must this years allowance be saved into Northern Rock?

Many thanks in advance
    dmd22
  • whu
    whu Posts: 23,461 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi -You can put it in FD - don't have to put it in NR
    Keep the Faith:cool:
  • dmd22
    dmd22 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much whu - that's great
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The first post of this thread has been updated.

The 1 Year Fixed rate ISAs (for new money only) by Principality and Leeds Building society's have been added. They pay 3.10% and 3.05% respectively. The Standard Life Direct ISA, paying 2.65% has been added to the variable rates section, while the YBS ISA has been removed following it's rate decrease to 2.25%.

Manchester Building Society's Premier ISA (issue 45) paying 3.56% and requiring 45 days notice for withdrawals has also been added. In the Fixed Rate ISAs section (accepting tranfers in), the Chelsea Building Society Postal Fixed Rate ISA, paying 3.25% (for balances of £7,200 and above) has been added.

In the Regular Savings ISAs section, I've added the Principality Regular Saver ISA, paying 5.00%. It allows one payment each month of between £20 - £300.

I've been away on a conference all week, so this is the only chance I've had to update the thread. I have to say that there weren't as many changes as I thought there'd have been considering that this week was the start of the new tax year.

Further updates to follow at the weekend...

Happy Easter everyone. :easter_os
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport