The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Very citizenship like GP! If there'd been a bank around I think I'd have dropped it behind the counter there. A stamp! Definitely good karma coming your way. I hope you had a second class one to hand! And they're bad enough these days.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

I was thinking, EH metioned about 'St' Valentines Day. When I was at school - and yes, Adam was in the year above....... :rotfl:- particularly primary school, we referrred to it as 'St' Valentines day - not 'greeting card holiday Valentines Day'. No sooner had the bubbles gone flat on the fizz, than I see Easter cards are in the shops. And of course, the next appropriation of an event to turn a buck will be 'Mothers Day'. We too were never encouraged by our mother to mark this day commercially. and I hope that Baby Greying will prove thoughtful and caring 365 days of the year, to us and others - and that we will do our utmost to earn that thought and care. No card needed.
    In Spain the cynical refer to Feb 14th as 'Dia De El Cortes Ingles' - El Cortes Ingles is a large department store chain which benefits greatly from the day :D.
    SaveSave
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ...Snap is packed. We are orf adventurising today :D...

Hope the adventurising was splendid - it was an absolutely lovely day with bright sunshine in our parts!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Good Afternoon :hello:

We've been busy - not lying a-bed all morning :D

maddiemay - thank you, we did indeed have a lovely day. I hope your trip out was just the job too :D

verbatim - it was a-q-a (H2o) bank - I don't believe that they have branches? Although I returned a cashpoint card to n@tw3st once - they kept me waiting for 15 minutes, just to hand the ruddy thing in, and the look on the girls face couldn't have been more contemptuous when I did eventually get to explain why I was there. Walked a total of 3 miles or so out of my way to hand that in too :mad:

gallygirl - I suppose that is just being honest about the misappropriation of a 'day' 'celebration' 'festival', call it what you will, but I do find that a little sad - particularly if it doesn't make folk think, 'hang on, I'm fed up of being treated like a consumer sukka'.

rtandon - we were most blessed with the weather, and had lovely, warming sunshine. There was a cold wind, but we were wrapped up toasty, so it didn't stop us doing anything that we wanted to do :D

The rest of today is going to be a day of chores. I did a bit of shopping this am. Got some YS'd bits from m&$ that are in keeping with the meal plan for this week :j I'm learning! :D We had fush, chups and mushy peas for tea last night - sorry to really mess with your head this week rtandon! But as we went out yesterday, it was actually the most logical thing to do. I will be cooking up mushroom curry this arvo for our tea tonight.

Right, Baby Greying is in DH's capable hands, but I think they may require a change of scene. I'll go and oblige :D

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in the conversation. Mucho, mucho appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Good Morning :hello:

Monday already, and half way through the morning - good grief.

I so could have done with an early night last night, but Baby Greying decided that they were still full of beans and boing, and so everything got shoved back later.

Still, they eventually cantered off to dream-land, Tea was eaten in shifts, but a) it was eaten, and b) it was still vaguely hot for both of us :j DH did the washing up (he's good like that) and I used the time, without a bouncing babs on my lap, to write a very important email. Given that I've already had a response to it, I consider it time well spent :j

Tea was Kodova curry, with lentil dhal, rice and green beans. I am not getting on with that mrS basiks rice at all. I shall be glad when the bag is finished and I shall never purchase it again. Time for us to go to the biggish smoke of the next city along and get some decent basmati. Picture here:

114_zps62jpkrxw.jpg

I saw some fresh caulis yesterday, not very big, looking not super-dooper fresh, and they still wanted 79p for them :( In comparison, the £1 ones in m&$ looked barginacious. But for what I need today, i shall buy frozen. Tea is going to be mix & match and I'm trying out 2 new to me recipes, although as the one is more of a recipe idea, I shall use a recipe that I have, but in the spirit of the new idea I think. As I want it to work/be edible.

We'll go for wander in the fresh air, grab the frozen cauli and see what we can see.

Right BG has had enough and is starting to *help* me type. So I am vamoosing, before this post is lost.

Ta for poping in and supporting me. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Good Evening :hello:

Ah well. Today has been an upsee-daisy type of day. Someone has been very kind, but probably cannot help me. The unfairness of the world never ceases to amaze me. It is remarkable who gets rewarded and who gets sat on. From a great height.

Maybe things will change.

Money talks, that's for certain. And it influences things. If you haven't got money, you can't have your day in court and you certainly can't influence things. For the better.

Tea this evening was a mish-mash, of YS'd loveliness and experimentation. And I have to say, it was such a change to have salad 'type' things to eat. We enjoyed it. I made carrot dip - can't link to a recipe, but it was unusual in that it used boiled carrots, rather than roasted. Pugilese Beetroot salad (with mrAl S6 beetroot from waaayyyy back :D), meatfree monday potato salad with mrM savers tinned potatoes and the last 2 gherkins :j YS'd mixed leaves from m&$ - should have been £2 (I think) YS'd to 70p, and then brocolli and cauli fritters, made with a nigella recipe for jonnycakes, but the inspiration came from Jody Vassallo's instagram account, where she mentioned making brocolli and cauli fritters with just egg and turmeric and frying in ghee. Picture here;

243_zpsik996f4r.jpg

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

people who say what they are going to do and who follow through.

that I live in democracy - even if the rich do have it all, they can keep most of it.......

that I'm too stubborn to give up

Ta for reading. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Good Morning :hello:

Wednesday already, where does the time go?

Tea last night was borscht or beetroot soup. I love beetroot, but always seem to remember too late that I am not overly keen on beetroot soup. It seems to kill the juicy freshness of the beets somehow. I made cumin and sea salt (how do you get the sea salt flakes to be just so, like they are in all these foodie mags?) flatbreads to go with it, picture here;

131_zps8vlfu3gb.jpg

Tea this evening will be mixed bean chilli with rice.

I've a few non-food bits to get from up the high street, but the weather doesn't look none too grand :( Don't particularly want to get blown about, nor caught in a rain shower, but need one or two of the items today, so......

Ta for popping in and reading. appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Mmmmm - GP as always, you have my mouth watering! - well impressed with you poncy swirl of this and little drizzle of that! Though you've said it's beetroot, I now have a craving for a bowl of tomato with a side of grilled cheese - such are the effects of grey weather and childhood recollections of grandma's comfort food!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Every time I see one of your posts Greying it just makes me INCREDIBLY envious (in a nice way!) of people who have to to actually cook proper stuff, you know, from actual recipes, in the week! :D I can only dream...! Most of our food is very lovely and tasty, but frequently comes under the heading of "concoctions" - ie, I make it up as I go along. :o :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • The next Aldi Super 6 looks good I think :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure