PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    zoe260373 wrote: »
    i know what you mean,i cant (not yet anyway) downgrade fabric softener either,luurve the smell:o but,like you i am using a little less,however,ive been adding vinegar to the rinse too,and i have to say its amazing,the smell doesnt last and it makes everything very,very soft.as my LO is only 4 and 1/2 months his cot sheets havent been used/washed as much as the crib ones so were pretty new almost stiff to the touch but the vinegar has made them soft and fluffy,its great,hope this helps.x

Bought Tesco own brand concentrated fabric cond, will let you know how it is. If i dont like it i'll just go back to Lenor or Comfort(i buy whats on offer).
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Sorry I have not been on for absolute yonks but have moved,packed, unpacked, decorated, fixed things in the house, gardening, inherited an eating apple tree:D some beautiful flower beds,roses, lovely house but needed a good doing up, pink, purple and red walls had to be toned down:rotfl: :rotfl: done very well with the grocery challenge because I have not had the time to get to the shops and relied heavily on tins, rice, pasta and anything I had in so the food bill has been dramatically cut,we have had some odd dinners:rotfl: but now we are getting settled, the kitchen is a fitted one with the fridge and freezer there but I also brought mine so that I can go to asda for the whoopsies, hopefully they do it in this one as have not been yet to try, all we have been doing is painting, sanding, glossing, fixing, exhausting and lost 8lb in 2 weeks for the stress and work:D

Going to Spain for a month in 24 days so only have July to do the challenge, the august challenge will be the spanish one which will be a lot cheaper as their fresh fish is so much cheaper and thier peppers, tomatoes etc off the market.

Have not been here long enough or out of the house to see if they have a farmers market around here or what they have, I know morrisons is close by and Tesco which I am not a fan on, prefer lidl, aldi and asda, we shall see:D
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A bit late I know, but please can you enter my budget for July at £220. Many thanks
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Orkneystar-Tesco on its opening day will be hell. You won't beable to find anything you need,there will be crowds of people, if you don't need anything think of the money you'll save instead!!
    Go later in the week, there may even be some whoopsies by then...
    SFT
    Yes this is what I need to hear! I will re-read this post every time I feel the urge to go LOL.
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Hi Guys,

NSD planned for today, am up early enough to pack myself up for work so should be nsd there too! Things going back to normal now MIL and FIL gone !!!! YAY!:T

Orkney star - You can do it, it will be anightmare at the new tesco!!!!!! there tried for you did that work? :rotfl:
    Floxie - welcome, feel free to ask any questions and let us know any tips/recipes you find on the way. AngelNikki has been taking care of us in Mrs M's absence (thanks angelnikki and prayers are with you Mrs M) you will need to put your amount for the month in red so that it can be added to the first page like the rest of us. I am sure you will get the hang of it.
    TQ16 - good to see you again hun, its nice to clean the cupboards, tiring whilst doing it but empowering dont you think?

Have a great GC day. DINK1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • nessquic80
    nessquic80 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Morning all,hope eveyone is ok!!
    Not been here for over a week, ive kept up with the post but couldnt be bothered with posting:o ........so im posting now. My total spends so far is£77.79, just got to top up today with the perishables. Gonna make nana cake today as the 3 nanas are very brown and i wouldnt want to throw them away now, would i? might get some cooking choc as well today and make those krispy things with mallows in them. Off to update siggy.see you soon#
    V
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

• Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hiya all,
    What a yuccy day, pooring with rain here on the coast, my mum is coming down today, 1st time in ages and I've managed to get 4hrs off (oh heaven) and down comes the rain. So my 77yr old mummy will not be playing on the sand:eek: there's the temptation, she'll want to go to the shops instead, so wish me luck, I'm aiming for a NSD:eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Good luck to all you nice peeps out there, have a good one:beer:
    HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Okay, summary of the challenge for me so far...

I haven't stuck to my meal plan on one single day! Not once! And this week's is already out because my meal plans start on a Saturday (for shopping reasons) and OH couldn't face much except a fish finger sandwich on Sat and on Sunday instead of a roast we had rataouille because the veggies needed using up, because they hadn't been used up earlier in the week because, well, flippin heck.

So, today we should have Sunday's roast and the whole meal plan moves along one until Thursday which means I'll skip the stir fry because I didn't get the veggies I needed at the weekend because I felt like death on Saturday.

And...

Probably gone over budget anyway because OH went to Sainsburys for me and braved the crowds to get the nappies which were a third off which was really heroic as he HATES shopping and he isn't good at crowds. The cost of the nappies (last on shelves) will probably take me over the budget.

And I could do with a boatload of little bits and pieces, so if Sainsburys delivery covers the nappy offer then I may completely trash the budget, get the nappies plus the bits and bobs plus stock up. But stock up on what? I have loads of tins in the cupboard and I'm trying to run down the freezer to defrost it.

Of course, I could just see what the best offers are and stash the stuff under the bed or something...

Or I could just not buy...

Looking at the bank balance, not buying even if it is a bargain is looking good. Let's save 100% :rolleyes:
    Always another chapter

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    hev wrote: »
    Probably gone over budget anyway because OH went to Sainsburys for me and braved the crowds to get the nappies which were a third off which was really heroic as he HATES shopping and he isn't good at crowds. The cost of the nappies (last on shelves) will probably take me over the budget.

Was in Tesco yesterday and they had bogof on huggies pullups if that helps anyone. Not sure about the rest of the nappies, didnt look sorry.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Its pouring down:mad: so no washing on the line today or working in the garden or work for dh!!! So even more important to keep to the challenge now or we will never put by enough to survive the winter months (though maybe they'll be drier than the summer!) Mixed fruit soaking for some teabread, going to do cauliflower cheese for dinner with some bacon in the sauce and attempt to get some veg from the garden between downpours to go with it. Shall catch up on the ironing:eek: and try very hard for a nsd!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure