PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Jazer
    Jazer Posts: 62 Forumite
    Just a quick update.

For the second week in July I have spent £39.14.

I have been making an effort to use up what's in the freezer first which is making a huge difference in what I would normally spend.

It will also mean that hopefully, sometime soon, I will be able to defrost and clean out the freezer which is long overdue :o

I am really enjoying this challenge (although I'm not posting much:rolleyes: ) it is making me much more aware of what I am spending!

Jazer
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Diane_239 wrote: »
    HI,
    Everyone just caught up on all the post Nsd today,
    thanks for the recipe ideas for using up porage oats,
    Orkneystar could you post the recipe for flap jacks please?
    Ordinary Flapjacks (no soft centre)
    (adapted from a cookery mag a few years back).
    • 175g (6oz) butter
    • 25g (1oz) golden syrup
    • 140g (5oz) soft brown sugar
    • 125g (4&1/4oz) rolled oats
    • 55g (2oz) plain wholemeal flour (ordinary plain works ok too)
    • 50g (2oz) dried cranberries (or any other dried fruit you prefer)
    • 55g (2oz) dessicated coconut
    1. Preheat oven to 180/350/gas 4.
    2. Lightly grease a 23cm (9inch) square baking tray.
    3. Melt the syrup and butter together.
    4. Remove pan from heat and stir in sugar, oats, dried fruit, flour and coconut and mix well.
    5. Spread out evenly and bake for 15 min until golden.
    6. Mark the squares, then allow to cool for 15 min before cutting.
    7. ENJOY
    Apricot Flapjack bars (adapted from 'Bella Cookbook')
    • 250g dried apricots (see below though)
    • 2 tbsp caster sugar
    • 175g butter
    • 100g light soft brown sugar
    • 6 tbsp golden syrup
    • 275g rolled oats
    1. Bring fruit, caster sugar and 150ml water to the boil in a pan. Cover, reduce heat, simmer for 10 min until softened. Allow to cool for 20 min then blend until almost smooth and set aside.
    2. Preheat oven to 180/Fan 160/Gas 4. Grease a 28 by 18cm tin, line base with parchment (I forgot to do this and they stuck a tiny bit).
    3. Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan, remove from heat and add into the oats, mix well.
    4. Layer half the oat mix into the baking tin, flatten with a metal spoon dipped in hot water.
    5. Layer on the apricot mix, and cover with the rest of the oat mix.
    6. Bake for 25 min until golden. Mark into bars. Cut once cool.
    As I said today I used 200g ish fresh and 50g dry apricots and 75-100ml water (less as the fresh apricots released water).

hth
    (sorry nikki have just seen your post but I have also added the apricot flapjack bars as well as normal flapjacks to this post)
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi everyone. I am feeling virtuous because a) I had a NSD, and b) an NCD (no car day) and I finally finished sorting my big bookcase and it looks everso nice and tidy! I was thinking of trying to sell some of my surplus books on AmazonMarketplace - but was put off by the request for my bank account details. Has anyone done this and was it ok? My twin had her identity stolen last year and it has made me a bit wary of giving my details out online.

I have just made 6 little chicken pies with Sunday's leftover chicken - 2 for now and the rest for the freezer. (Recipe below in case anyone's interested). I also decided to use the remnants of the puff pastry to make palmiers - sort of posh sugary biscuits. I have not done them before so if it works I will post the recipe later. I usually buy chilled puff pastry and cut the packet in half and freeze till I need it, which is why I couldn't put the trimmings back in the freezer.

Individual chicken pies

2oz butter
    1 med leek, washed and thinly sliced
    4 oz mushrooms washed and thinly sliced
    chopped leftover cooked chicken - I had about 6 oz
    1/4 packet bought puff pastry
    2-3 tbsp plain flour
    1/2pt milk (semi or full fat is best)
    beaten egg
    salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the leeks and mushrooms. Sweat gently until softened. Add the flour a little at a time , stirring well. Add the milk and stir as you gently raise the heat until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth. Add the chicken. Remove from the heat. Lightly grease 4-6 ramekin dishes and add the chicken mix to each (2-3 tbsp in each). Roll out the pastry to about 1/4" thick and cut rounds for the dishes. Lightly dampen the edge of each top before popping on the dishes and press to seal to the dish. Chill in the fridge for at least 15 mins. (I have left them overnight before now). If you are using fresh not frozen pastry you can freeze them at this stage if you like. Before putting in the oven brush the top of each pie with beaten egg. Cook in a hot oven 200C gas mark 6 for about 15 mins. When cool you can freeze the cooked pies, and they can be reheated from frozen another day. This way of making chicken pie reduces the amount of pastry you get so it's good for those who are watching their weight! You can vary this by using onion instead of leek, or leaving out the mushroom. My DH loves them!
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    angel nikki - hope u feel back to normal soon....

Had a fantastic day today,toodk the kids to a party at La Pedera - featured on Grand Designs some 4 years ago wowowowowowow.It was great.

*Horse Riding
    *Quad Bike Arena
    *Quad Bike Trail
    *Kayaking
    *Swimming in the infinity pool with water slides and diving boards
    *Lovely party tea in the Tea Gardens

We were there from 10 - 4.30pm................What a party.

My 3 kids had the best time,I had a free lunch ,kids kept entertained,spent time with friends and it was free except for card and money popped in which we would have had to give anyway.

Had ravioli and HM passata for tea with yogurt and hobnobs.Enough leftovers for 2 freezer portions later in the week and roast chicken and roast potatoes in the fridge for tomorrow tea with veggies.

NSD for me today and probably tomorrow as we are doing jobs tomorrow with the house etc so may keep my pjs on all day,coz I can......

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    good evening everyone

just back form mrA's spent £11.01 on cheese,,,, and bits that we didnt really need ,,, lots of nice recipes on at the moment

thanks guys

angelnikki hope you are feeling better ,,,,,,,,,,,, he must have given you a lot if your eyes were numb as well,,,,,,,,, it shouldnt have gone that far up
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi Everyone.

Angelnikki hope you are feeling better. I had a tooth out 7 years ago. Had the same experience as you. Seemed to take forever for the tooth to come out.

Updated my signature as I needed a red pepper, brocolli and milk so spent £3.24 on those 3 items. :eek:

Will look in the freezer for tomorrows tea in a minute before I go baby sitting. Have a good evening.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • toottifrootti
    toottifrootti Posts: 6,427 Forumite
    Hi Moniker
    I sell on Amazon Marketplace and have had no problems - have been doing it for over a year on and off - you can make quite good money!
    Hi All,
    I have only just joined MSE so have been scouring the threads/challenges to see whats happening - i like the sound of the grocery challenge - I live on benefits so money is tight as I am here to get help and advice with debts!!
    I already budget quite well but could probably cut it back a bit more - My problem is I am useless at cooking - no imagination and no knowledge!! I am way over the hill so feel bad at not being able to make even basic things! I am also diabetic, have a muscle disease and have to take steroids so have put on weight I dont like!!! I am hoping the grocery challenge will help me in all sorts of ways!!
    Do you think I should wait now until July to join you all??
    All help VERY GRATEFULLY received!!!!!!!!
    TF xxxxxxx
    Peace will be mine
    could do better - must try harder
    Live each day as if its your last
    DFW Nerd #1000 Proud to be dealing with my debts

• zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    Hi Moniker
    I sell on Amazon Marketplace and have had no problems - have been doing it for over a year on and off - you can make quite good money!
    Hi All,
    I have only just joined MSE so have been scouring the threads/challenges to see whats happening - i like the sound of the grocery challenge - I live on benefits so money is tight as I am here to get help and advice with debts!!
    I already budget quite well but could probably cut it back a bit more - My problem is I am useless at cooking - no imagination and no knowledge!! I am way over the hill so feel bad at not being able to make even basic things! I am also diabetic, have a muscle disease and have to take steroids so have put on weight I dont like!!! I am hoping the grocery challenge will help me in all sorts of ways!!
    Do you think I should wait now until July to join you all??
    All help VERY GRATEFULLY received!!!!!!!!
    TF xxxxxxx
    welcome,loads of new people on here,and everyone is really kind and friendly,also think theres someone whos diabetic so they may be of some help to you,
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    HI folks

gonna have to put the BM on as we have no bread,,, didnt get any on my trip to MrA,,, there was no whoopsies and anyway I'd rather have my own now,,,,, I'm spoiled,,, mmmmmm homemade bread
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• debbiemc_2
    debbiemc_2 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:

Newbie here, just wanted to stop in and say hello, will be joining in with the August grocery challenge and will post to that effect when I get back from my holidays! :)

Debbie
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No 1001 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure