Gumtree/Ukash Scam or not?

Comments

• " Anita Leonard" "jessie" "gamberetiis"

All names used today by a scammer on Gumtree advertising a Brother 2800d Embroidery machine. Advertised as being in Nottingham, then suddenly in Edinburgh. Reported to gumtree.
  • Anita Leonard

tries to sell a road bike (half a year old) for a third of the price through gumtree. Similar Ukash payment request and being busy.

Gumtree makes it really easy for scammers. If you want to report them on their website you have entered all the information, press submit and get 'Action not allowed. You need to be logged in.' Of course all what you just typed in their form is reset. Sure, I am not going to register and do all my typing again.

If I wanted to scam people, I think I would use gumtree, looks like the ideal place for it.
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Gumtree is a dangerous place if you're not scam savvy, this is an obvious one so avoid.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • Some very interesting posts here. We saw an advert on Gumtree for a Canon 5D camera in Swindon. When we contacted the "seller", Andrea Pfeiffer, we were given the line about opening a travel agents (in Durham this time - she really does get around!) & having the camera with her. She wanted to use UKash. The phraseology in the emails was very odd. We agreed not to touch it with a bargepole. On scanning our PC after reading this thread a nasty virus was detected. So BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
  • antoniarose_2
    antoniarose_2 Posts: 210 Forumite
    There's an awful lot of scams using UKASH vouchers going around at the moment, mainly because it is more or less untraceable and impossible to get back.
  • lukey77
    lukey77 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I was sat here trying to figure out how I could be scammed from this... Paying cash on delivery and being able to inspect the goods. I was thinking good luck scamming me, the only way in which you will be able to is to get the money from my lifeless hands as they drive away. Then I read this forum to double check. I haven't got very far into the scam and we've just confirmed a delivery day. I just emailed back after reading this saying ''thanks again, I look forward to wasting more of your time.

She's called tiffany nowadays... still a clothes designer bless her and very busy at work. Poor girl. Bet she gets !!!!ed off living in Nigeria trying to scam people all day. GL chaps! Please people stop sending your money to these people!
  • drc
    drc Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Just to cheer up those that have been scammed;

Scammer gets scammed
  • Vaila
    Vaila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Gumtree
    Cash on collection to local buyers, simple!
  • Sylvia1982
    Sylvia1982 Posts: 193 Forumite
    drc wrote: »
    Just to cheer up those that have been scammed;

Scammer gets scammed

Nice one...:rotfl:
    Must save to live, not just live to save!!! :think:
    Challenge Save 12k in 2019 #141 £6,143.34/£6k
    Deposit £82,317.88/£120K :jFees/ect £12K/£12K:jEmergency fund £1K/£1K
    :A
    :A'Saving again after parting with a lot of money enjoying life:rotfl::A
  • Like many of you i wish i did a search for this before yesterday,the same situation as whats been said before,tiff a clothes designer,any way another gumtree tree advert for a Yamaha rd125 in Birmingham,nice picture of it in a garage all looks OK,then the same thing that's has been said before,can i send it to you at my expense as I'm out of town atm,so deal done she/he says its left at courier FEDEX and i cant pay by cash anymore and have to pay FedEx by ukash,i never used it before but all seems OK,i get emails from FedEx saying they have got package and need the 19 numbers on voucher to proceed,email number then get told its with the dispatch team and will receive it on Tuesday morning,then today i decided to do a search on gumtree and scams and i find this,it makes you feel like a utter prat, the reason that i thought the deal would be OK is that it said i can examine it first!!!,oh well we live and learn,so the ads still on gumtree and ive reported it to them.BTW tiffany's email is [EMAIL="tify.design@gmail.com"]tify.design@gmail.com[/EMAIL] so you have been warned. :mad::mad::mad::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure