Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Comments

• I am giving up around £3000 waiting for me to pick up, if only I gave these clowns my details!! I must be a fool for passing up all that money!

1471 gave me this no:
    have called them and they are certainly this outfit. Have called them several times withholding my number. Thought about getting a personal alarm that I play when I get calles from them. Maybe that will stop them because nothing else has. They have called me well over 50 times in the last six months.

TPS makes no difference, complaining to sky makes no difference. If we all keep ringing this number maybe they will understand what a pain it is getting these nuisence calls. Whats the verdict from posters on this?
  • whatwasithinking
    whatwasithinking Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 December 2011 at 7:58AM
    my elderly parents had a call from "uk claims" my mum had had an accident and gave some details to these people date of birth and address luckly does not have any credit cards they said solisitor would ring back. The same man rings a few days later saying her accident was too long ago but they had a aussie national who had an accident will holidaying here but could not claim as not uk resident and would she like to make a claim for him??
    At this point the penny drops that the company is highly dodgy and decline the companies "services"
    In light of them having my parents DOB and address is there any precautions I can take for them?
  • This happened to my 96 year old mother - it caused her great distress.

This cold calling technique is against the Ministry of Justice rules and as such is a criminal offence.

If you report this to the MOJ they will take action.
    my elderly parents had a call from "uk claims service" my mum had had an accident and gave some details to these people date of birth and address luckly does not have any credit cards they said solisitor would ring back. The same man rings a few days later saying her accident was too long ago but they had a aussie national who had an accident will holidaying here but could not claim as not uk resident and would she like to make a claim for him??
    At this point the penny drops that the company is highly dodgy and decline the companies "services"
    In light of them having my parents DOB and address is there any precautions I can take for them?
  • Hi guys,

just received a call from the UK claims and finance department saying i was due a refund, they knew who I bank with, my card number etc etc. I asked who they were and for there contact number, at which point they hung up on me!!! I tried to redial the number they called me from and guess what it can not be recognised!!!
    I have contacted my bank and had my card stopped immediately.
    So folks these 'scammers' are still out there!!!

:(
  • bugeyed
    bugeyed Posts: 415 Forumite
    LMAO - just had this lot call me today. The guy with a terrible Bombay accent whose name apparently was Thomas, kept trying to get me to give him my bank details. So I asked him if his records revealed my occupation and when he said they didn't, I informed him I was a ''financial investigator''. For some strange reason the line went dead and they haven't tried to call me back
    Freebies you don't really need can be given to your local Hospice Charity shop so they can raise funds they desperately need. Pass on your good fortune :A
  • I'm sure you are all aware that 'UK Claims' are still 'in business'.

My wife took 2 calls from them this afternoon and I have taken 3 this evening. Is there a record for how long anyone has kept them on the phone for without giving them any information? I would like to start the bidding at 23 minutes and 22 seconds which was the call I have just finished.

"Peter Hillary" called from the Manchester office (that's Manchester just outside Mumbai I think) but wasn't able to give me any details on their phone number, MoJ number, company registration number, address etc. I just kept on asking questions and as soon as the "poor chap" moved on to the next line of his script I just pulled him back to my last question.

Needless to say they don't have any more information about me or the non exsistent personel injury from last year than they did to begin with and I have had an enjoyable bit of banter.

SERIOUSLY - I don't know what they wanted from me - I didn't let him get that far - but don't give them any information about yourself, confirm nothing that they present to you as information that they say they already have about you and it is proabably better if you hang up on them sooner than I did (unless you want to go for my World Record of course ;))
  • MrRA wrote: »
    I would like to start the bidding at 23 minutes and 22 seconds which was the call I have just finished.

"Peter Hillary" called from the Manchester office (that's Manchester just outside Mumbai I think)

Over 23 minutes, that's quite impressive, I only managed about 15 minutes before I totally lost it.

I had call this morning from UK Claims, they got my details from Gov. dept (right OK) about my car accident in last 3 years apparently. Said his name was Danny Smith, I kept asking for his real name and told him he didn't sound like a Danny Smith, "are you sure you don't mean Dipseh Singh" - that threw him.

Then I changed track and asked him where he was, London, Wandsworth was eventual reply. "Oh, how's the weather in London", eventually found it was raining, oh and foggy and very cold. I live in west London so maybe 10 miles away from Wandsworth, it's sunny, bright, the odd light shower and hasn't been foggy for ages and is probably 11 deg C so not cold for time of year. Time for some fun I thought.

I tried to waste as much of his time as possible, he eventually passed me on to a "supervisor" who was another Indian sounding gentleman called (don't laugh) David Jones. He continued to claim that I had been in an accident and my details were in a gov database, I got hit from the back or maybe the side, possibly at a roundabout (OK keep trying you might find one that fits soon)! Everyone in the car would get £3000. I said Ok there were 5 of us, you have my address just send me the money. I wish I could have kept it up but had got bored by that stage and just hung up.

I'm hoping they will call back so I can carry on the game, I'll give them false card info of course.

Beware, they will keep trying, the story will change and as someone said previously never confirm anything and don't tell them anything they don't already know.
  • Just had to cancell my card, having heard from 'first call claims' that, for £89 they would send me a claim pack, and I was entitled to over £1,000 in excess bank charges. What worried me was that they already had my card details. I declined, but what was to stop them taking my money anyway? They claimed to be working with the UK Dept of Finance, but would not give me any contact, or address details. They knew my name, date of birth, address, bank, card details and, for all I know, my account details too. The only companies who have these on my say-so are my bank, Amazon,PayPal, Ace, and FridayAd....so what's going on? Is it EVER safe to on-line shop, or shop over the phone?
  • PennyGSD
    PennyGSD Posts: 123 Forumite
    I just had to post as I've just had a particuarly nasty call from UK Claims Direct - they went through the usual spiel, accident in the last 3 years, £3000 owing to me, details from the RTA Register etc.

I asked them to post me proof of this to the address they had on file and I would be happy to call back and discuss it further. At no point did I confirm anything he'd said.

I had asked to speak to a supervisor before this and was immediately handed over, but once I asked for the proof to be posted he lapsed straight into the 'Do you want me to f**k you?'. I just laughed, luckily I'm not a shrinking violet. He promised to show me the best time in the bedroom. This went on for quite some time, so I handed him over to my OH without warning, who was a little shocked at what he started to hear as I hadn't even explained what was going on and he got understandably a little abusive.

By the way, this isn't the first call we've received from this sort of outfit, but it's certainly the most abusive. And telling them I record and trace all calls because of previous nuisance calls doesn't ever put any of them off.

Just wanted to post so other pwople who receive similar calls will know they are not alone.
  • FlyVegas
    FlyVegas Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 February 2012 at 11:11PM
    I have just taken a call from a company calling themselves UK Claims. When I picked up the phone there was a pause which usually means whoever is ringing is using predictive dialling and is calling from a Call Centre.

A lady with a heavily accented voice said she was ringing from UK Claims because I was due a refund of a large amount of bank charges covering a few years and the refund had been authorised by the UK Government. Did I want a cheque or have the money paid directly into my bank account?

'How much am I going to get'? I asked. 'Somewhere between £2,000 and £3,000' says she!

I asked why the company was called UK Claims when she was obviously calling from abroad. She said she was not abroad and the company was based in the south of England. I asked for the address and she said Leslie Street in Southampton (maybe she said Southend - I'm not sure). I asked for her phone number and I would ring her back. She said that would not be necessary as I was on the phone now and why not just get everything sorted out now, or otherwise she could call me back at a time suitable to me. I said I didn't have time now and I wanted to ring her back. She said it was against company policy to give out their phone number! I said she could keep my refund and not to ring me back - ever! Time will tell though! Needless to say 1471 said 'number withheld'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure