My nan & I purchased an item online - what to do next?

I have taught my nan how to use the tablet which I purchased for her, so she can learn technology.

After teaching her how to surf the net, she has found an item that she wants to purchase. So I taught her how to purchase things online (how to sign up for an account, put details in etc...). After inputting the personal details and card details, it went through. We also got a confirmation email.

A few hours later, I realised it was an unauthorised online retailer. Now she won't even get her goods, and have her card details (and maybe personal details) compromised. It might be a scam site.

My nan and I would be going to the bank and explain the situation, and get the card cancelled immediately. Not sure if the payment has been taken yet. She isn't registered on telephone or online banking. She is worried about her identity and card details being stolen. My nan can't afford the monthly fee of identity protection.

Advice appreciated. What should we do next?

Comments

• BASFORDLAD
    BASFORDLAD Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    why on earth would she need to pay a monthly fee for identity protection,

Obviously you are an easy sales target
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What's 'unauthorised' retailer? Authorised by whom?
    Care to say what retailer it was?
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Which web site? If you think it's unauthorised, might be a good idea to say who and other people can confirm it.

If you think your details are compromised, then sure, cancel the card.
  • martin57
    martin57 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Hope you get it sorted.

Whatever you do don't show her how to play bingo or the slots online.

:)

Martin57
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    book12 wrote: »
    After inputting the personal details and card details, it went through. We also got a confirmation email.

A few hours later, I realised it was an unauthorised online retailer. Now she won't even get her goods, and have her card details (and maybe personal details) compromised. It might be a scam site.

Advice appreciated. What should we do next?

Unauthorised online retailer????

Just how do you reach this conclusion....
    Let me guess is that you looked for reviews of the retailer after making the purchase and found bad reviews....

So again, how do you know she wont get the goods???
    Let me guess is that you looked for reviews of the retailer after making the purchase and found bad reviews....

Scam site???
    Yet they sent a confirmation email....

Now how about giving us some REAL information about just who the retailer is.
    Then you can get some advice.

Stop the card? Why?
    Only one who is going to suffer is your nan, as she is going to be without her just just before xmas.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    I searched the retailer online on google, and there are articles and reviews that it's scam site.

Hope that answer your questions. :)
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    book12 wrote: »
    I searched the retailer online on google, and there are articles and reviews that it's scam site.

Hope that answer your questions. :)

So which website?
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • It's been there for years, how do people still not know about the little padlock?!
    £5000 paid off
    £2500 remaining
    Paying off ~£500 per month
    Debt free by March 2014, 5 months before wedding! :D
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Cancelling the card is unlikely to stop the payment, as it's already been authorised, even if not actually taken.

For future reference, I don't know of any bank that makes you go into a branch to cancel a card, even if you are not registered for telephone banking. There will always be a lost/stolen cards number that anyone can use.

If the goods don't arrive, then she will be able to submit a chargeback through her bank.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's been there for years, how do people still not know about the little padlock?!

You mean the padlock that the means the scamster is serious about scamming people and thought it worthwhile to spend all of $400 for an SSL certificate? (and paid for using another victim's card details)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure