What saucepans can I use on my new ceramic hob?

Hello there - just had my new kitchen installed - all looks great - now have new ceramic hob - only thing is I'm not sure what pans to buy for it?

Instruction books says not aluminium or copper base yet some of the sets I've seen in M&S etc that claim to be suitable for all types of hob are aluminium base?

Anyone recommend any good pans or what type of 'bottoms' they should have? Didn't want to spend a fortune - saw a good set in Tesco 'Ready Steady Cook' set for £38.99 for 3 pans plus milk one and saucepan but on the website that too claims to be aluminium but suitable for all hobs?

Help!! Any ceramic hob users out there - what do you use and are there are to be totally avoided? Right now too scared to cook on it in case I damage it!!! Thanks very much!

Comments

• I wasn't aware that you were only supposed to use certain kinds of pans on ceramic hobs. When I lived in a shared house a few years ago, the kitchen had a cooker with ceramic hob- we used any kind of pans on it and it was fine. Though being a student at the time, I must say I didn't own many copper-based pans! :D

It isn't just a case of the manufacturer being over-cautious or trying to sell/promote particular pans is it? When I first bought a washing machine, I was surprised to see the manufacturer's instructions recommended you use only a certain well-known brand of washing power! Obviously nonsense. Maybe if you contact the manufacturer or shop you bought it from, they will be able to tell you how cautious you need to be regarding pans. HTH.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, Is your hob a normal ceramic hob or Induction?

If Ceramic: you can use pretty much any flat bottom pan except copper base, as the copper can react with the glass while hot and cause pitting.

If Induction: you can only use magnetic pans. (Use a fridge magnet to test, if it sticks its fine, if it falls off it won't work!)

Either way you can't beat a decent stainless steel pan with a flat base made of a sandwich contruction of aluminium and/or copper to spread the heat in the pan evenly. The sandwich construction base usually has stainless steel at the bottom that makes perfect contact with the glass.

Happy cooking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport