Funding for prison visits problem.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    ryouga wrote: »
    I suppose you are taking the moral highground, instead of giving actual advice. - Ooh this will be fun, someone judging my own individual morals against a self appointed checklist....

It seems your attitude is based on ignorance - Nope. Not ignorance at all. I really am a complete and total so and so. and I bet you assume everyone in prison is evil - No, mostly stupid. They got caught. and took pride in their crime and deserves to rot rather than be rehabilitated. - That would be a generalisation, so I'd counter and say 'mostly' they didn't give two hoots who they harmed or any damage that resulted. (mostly)

In reality some like my relative make a mistake (a mistake serious enough to warrant prison.) after going through a extreme - extreme? point in his life, his girlfriend was cheating on him - Sorry that is not extreme. , his daughter was disputed to be his - disputed? There's fairly easy way to prove it. so social work refused him access, - Social services don't hear court cases. his best friend died - That is unfortunate and he snapped and had a moment of madness which he now pays for. - Care to elaborate on the actual crime, after so much compelling mitigating evidence.

He is in a theraputic wing of prison and his mental health has even got worse over the years as he lost everything, none of his friends wanted anything to do with him after he was arrested even made excuses about it. - Since you say he had a moment of madness, you are basically saying he did whatever it was he was accused of, but because his life was in a low place, he should get all the sympathy. Plenty of people go through that, and worse, and don't 'snap'.

So now he is in a small room and left to rot, when he is released he wants to get his life back on track and start fresh, - great, so presumably the first thing he'll do is pay reparations to whoever the victim of his crime was? he cant do that if he is just stuck in a small room and no contact with the outside world.

Like I said, oh, no, such a shame...
  • ryouga wrote: »
    I never said they "get" games consoles.

And even then the shared one is a old PS2 with those games that struggle to sell at 10p, their tvs until recently were manky crts (only got rid of them due to needing digital feed) even then they get about 8 channels on it as they are censored.

Are you trying to say you have never done anything "criminal" in your life no matter how small?

oh my heart bleeds, I will get a crowdfunding site together right away to get a PS4, and XBOX One, and a 4K TV
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Their families are affected too, and also are you saying that only people in prison are bad people/deserve no help and everyone who isn't in prison is pure angelic?

I can easily feel sorry for the family without having any sympathy for the criminal.

Why would I have sympathy that a criminal can't watch 18 movies or play 18 games? They are there to do their time, movies and games should not be provided regardless of the age certificate.

Given I said all of two words, how can you take from that, that I believe the rest of society is angelic? There are plenty who belong in prison that for one reason or another aren't.
  • Guest101
    You mean you want the taxpayers money to pay for them? Surely you want them to get better so they can pay their own way?

Shot yourself in the foot there.

Yep, sure thing. As soon as everyone who's currently not paying their own way, even without the barrier of a custodial sentence, starts doing so. We can then discuss the damage to society from not having X in it, participating and providing beyond what they've taken...
  • Guest101
    ab1982 wrote: »
    I did yes, are you advocating life sentences without possibility of release for all criminal offences then?

No all criminal offences.

But it can be quite hard to get into prison these days.
  • Guest101
    I never said they "get" games consoles.

And even then the shared one is a old PS2 with those games that struggle to sell at 10p, their tvs until recently were manky crts (only got rid of them due to needing digital feed) even then they get about 8 channels on it as they are censored.

Are you trying to say you have never done anything "criminal" in your life no matter how small?

That's not what's being discussed here.

Custodial sentences are very rarely given for something 'small'
  • Guest101
    Their families are affected too, and also are you saying that only people in prison are bad people/deserve no help and everyone who isn't in prison is pure angelic?

No, there's plenty of 'bad' people both in and out of prison.

The ones inside got caught...
  • ryouga
    ryouga Posts: 330 Forumite
    I can easily feel sorry for the family without having any sympathy for the criminal.

Why would I have sympathy that a criminal can't watch 18 movies or play 18 games? They are there to do their time, movies and games should not be provided regardless of the age certificate.

Given I said all of two words, how can you take from that, that I believe the rest of society is angelic? There are plenty who belong in prison that for one reason or another aren't.

The point being rehabilitation rather than pure punishment, and for your information all their luxuries come out of their own pocket, in the sense its like pocket money and they do long hours for £10 a week and everything is bought at RRP so one dvd would cost them about £15

The point is is someone was a good person before and does one bad thing though that could be a extreme bad thing would you lump them in with someone who is a bad person everyday of their life just because they did that one thing? At what point do you go to extremes.
    oh my heart bleeds, I will get a crowdfunding site together right away to get a PS4, and XBOX One, and a 4K TV

So you compared a tiny portable tv and a 16 year old games console to a 4K tv and current games console?

Right that idea works.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • ryouga wrote: »
    The point being rehabilitation rather than pure punishment, and for your information all their luxuries come out of their own pocket, in the sense its like pocket money and they do long hours for £10 a week and everything is bought at RRP so one dvd would cost them about £15

The point is is someone was a good person before and does one bad thing though that could be a extreme bad thing would you lump them in with someone who is a bad person everyday of their life just because they did that one thing? At what point do you go to extremes.

So you compared a tiny portable tv and a 16 year old games console to a 4K tv and current games console?

Right that idea works.

nope, but you were trying to justify the fact that they have games consoles and tvs with the excuse that they are old models of both. I say they shouldnt have anything of the sort.

"And even then the shared one is a old PS2 with those games that struggle to sell at 10p, their tvs until recently were manky crts (only got rid of them due to needing digital feed) even then they get about 8 channels on it as they are censored".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure