Taxi drivers - does it pay?

Options
Saw a local private hire taxi firm advertising for drivers. They will rent you a car for £170 week. I was looking at their Facebook page at their tariffs and set fares etc, they charge £2.50 from the local supermarket to any destination in town. This got me thinking that this is a lot of supermarket runs just to pay the rental on the car.

Comments

• specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    Not every job will be a supermarket run, hopefully at that rate they would be few and far between or if you did get any they would be nice short distance jobs topped up with a tip.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Depends if you are willing to work nights, events etc.

Rates are usually higher at night. Airport runs etc
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    Fuel is cheap at the moment.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Saw a local private hire taxi firm advertising for drivers. They will rent you a car for £170 week. I was looking at their Facebook page at their tariffs and set fares etc, they charge £2.50 from the local supermarket to any destination in town. This got me thinking that this is a lot of supermarket runs just to pay the rental on the car.

Theres money at it for some - who are prepared to work long, antisocial hours.

I think a lot of taxi drivers just get by, but are happy working hours that just suit them.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Then you get friday/saturday nights with vomit in the back of your car and idiots trying to kill you because they are drunk. Just my view of being a taxi driver over the weekend. Heard horror stories, depends on your town though.
  • Latazza
    Latazza Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Also there will likely be drivers there for some time who would be getting looked after but the controllers etc also does the £170 cover weekly rent?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Latazza wrote: »
    Also there will likely be drivers there for some time who would be getting looked after but the controllers etc also does the £170 cover weekly rent?

£170 a week for the car. Not sure what else they take as it didn't mention it.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    Lee, I worked briefly with a guy that was previously a taxi driver. He did it for maybe ten years but said he got out as he was barely making any money.

I have no experience myself but I'll just repeat what he said. He used to go out early for people who needed to get to work and then get some sleep afterwards and then back out again early afternoon and then he would stay out until late. In that time he'd again have rush hour/people wanting to get home and then people wanting to go out for the night.

I also remember him saying that most of his fares in the day either said of rush hour were just short supermarket runs where you don't really make any money.

I think to do the job and make decent money you'll need to be out on the road for alot of hours and work late in to the night

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport