netgear unsecured network

Comments

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lexi wrote: »
    ok sorry i am as much use as my brother!
    * he has sony laptop
    * he has toucan broadband
    * he had speedtouch modem - no good so got netgear router
    * was fine then came off with no warning
    * connected him through netgear
    * but this is unsecured network
    * we had to put his toucan broadband email & password to connect
    * still says unsecured network
    * it cut off again with no warning
    * typed in netgear default settings to get back online.
    * am worried we are doing something wrong as he isnt using toucan 'dial up' broadband
    * can we change settings so network is secured.
    hope this helps. i dont know why the thing keeps going wrong. if any help or suggestions trust me we would be very grateful

thats a bit better
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lexi

so your saying your brother is connecting via his netgear but its unsecure,
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • del1001
    del1001 Posts: 229 Forumite
    which netgear model is it?
    (the numbers on the underside)
  • timbim_2
    timbim_2 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What on earth is dial up broadband? Makes very little sense. Are you trying to say that he has a very slow connection speed? That could be a fault with the microfilters around your house. Make sure every socket on that line has one, or it will not work.
    Ubuntu is an ancient African word, meaning: 'I can't configure Debian'.
  • lexi
    lexi Posts: 267 Forumite
    thanx
    * he i s connecting through netgear
    * it is unsecured
    * i think its netgear super g wireless DG834GT
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    CLLC wrote: »
    I tell you what, Around my area anyone on netgear comes up as an unsecured network but i don't know why?

Because people either
    a) don't read the chuffing manual.
    b) Know as much about using PCs as they do operating the telly. They can turn it on but they're stuffed if they have to tune in a new channel.
  • Fonz_2
    Fonz_2 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Maybe I'm being slow here but are we saying it is your bothers own netgear wireless network he is connecting through but it is unsecured?
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    It is unsecured because he hasn't set up any wireless encryption. It's probably dropping the ADSL connection because of the timeout.

1) He needs to log into the router by opening a web browser and typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
    2) It'll ask for a password and username. Enter admin as the username and password as the password.
    3) On the screen that now comes up on the left side is a menu. First Entry is "Basic Settings. Click on that. Make sure the entry "[URL="javascript:loadhelp('pppoa','idletime')"]Idle Timeout[/URL] (In Minutes)" is set to 0 and this will stop it disconnecting after its not been used for a period if time.
    4) Back to the menu on the left. Third Entry down is "Wireless Settings". Click on that.
    5) THe middle part of the screen now changes. Scroll down to Security Options. Click on either WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK.
    6) Scroll down further and you'll see a box with "Network Key (8 ~ 63 characters)" to the left of it. In that box put a password. This password is what you'll need to give people who want to connect to the network wirelessly. Click Apply and then you're done - that's the wireless network secured.

At this point, if he's using the wifi, it'll disconnect him. He needs to reconnect and it'll ask him for the password. Enter the password you used in step 6 above. If you/he wants anything else to connect to the wifi in the future, he'll need to use that same password.

As a final note..
    For the love of god can you please go to College and take an evening class course in Adult Literacy? Either that or make more of an effort to post as if you went to school. You're doing yourself no favours and making it hard for us to help you because your posts make no sense.
  • timbim_2
    timbim_2 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Now Conor, why do you expect a straight-talking, perfectly accurate response to help in a situation like this, whrere the OP can only understand cryptic "me speek"?;)
    Ubuntu is an ancient African word, meaning: 'I can't configure Debian'.
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The info below is assuming that he is connected to your router - if in doubt, you can do all the stuff below by simply connecting to your router through one of those fangled lead thingies.

Check the settings:

Type in 192.168.0.1 in your browser address default user & pwd is normally 'admin' for both so type that into login box. You should not have a control panel for the router. Sometimes an ISP (I know Sky do this) will change the login - you might need to phone your ISP if the 'admin' login doesnt work to get the correct details.

On the left, go to wireless settings, then make sure that the WEP box is checked witihn security settings. If it is, then your brother will need to input one of the WEP keys at the bottom of the screen when connecting to the router initially. If the box isnt currently checked, then check it, and in WEP settings at the bottom, choose automatic encryption type, 128 or 64 bit encryption (doesnt really matter which, I used 128), and type any phrase into the box to then generate 4 passkeys. Make a note of the passkeys (if you dont then you will only be able to get back onto the router via a lead) Then click 'apply'.

When he tries to connect to the router it will ask for the passkey and you can put in any of these, and it should save it for the future so he doesnt need to enter anything again.

If you are having to put in username & password for the connection each time, then you can save these within the router control panel also (in general settings). However, if it came with a set up disk then it would have normally put these in already. You can also change the name of the network within the control panel (wireless settings section) so you know what network is yours when you search wirelessly.
    matched betting: £879.63
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport