Ford Dealer Vs Independent (again)

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dom272 wrote: »
    Scary!...But they get 5/5 based on 5946 user reviews?

5/5 on what website? Is it one that will delete negative reviews?

The issue is that some stranger will collect your car and take it away to god knows which garage. Then they will have to service faster/cheaper to be able to make a profit and pay servicing stop their bit.

OK just looked they say its 5/5 from 5946 user reviews, i cannot see them declare is that was 1 user leaving the 5946 reviews or how many users left multiple reviews.

I sat here today and asked the question 100 times would you use servicingstop 100% said no they would not use them. But how many people did i actually ask?

How about this... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510565/Car-repair-company-awarded-Dragons-Den-cash-took-motorists-BMW-92mph-drive-taken-faulty-brakes.html

No mention of the dragons den deal falling through on their website, Just dragons den winners.
    How did they win with no investment?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• dom272
    dom272 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thanks guys, just cancelled with servicing stop. Not worth the risk imo.

Motorguy have you any conflicting interests you'd like to declare? I'm not stirring but it seems a very pro ford dealer stance you have and I'd like impartial advice.

If like to say that i noticed that the dab radio info text does not scroll on my radio and when i mentioned it over the phone to local ford they were very quick to say i was out of the warranty period and it would cost extra to look at this even though this is a ford approved used vehicle bought from food and exclusively serviced by ford since new so i was a bit peed off to be honest and this is partly why I'm looking elsewhere and makes ideas that they may be somehow more helpful with a more serious fault as suggested seem extremely doubtful.

Regarding their included breakdown cover, you can find that for about £25/yr according to this website.

So I'm still undecided, I suppose its one of those things where opinions may vary...

Thanks again to all for the helpful advice though!
  • dom272 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, just cancelled with servicing stop. Not worth the risk imo.

Motorguy have you any conflicting interests you'd like to declare? I'm not stirring but it seems a very pro ford dealer stance you have and I'd like impartial advice.

If like to say that i noticed that the dab radio info text does not scroll on my radio and when i mentioned it over the phone to local ford they were very quick to say i was out of the warranty period and it would cost extra to look at this even though this is a ford approved used vehicle bought from food and exclusively serviced by ford since new so i was a bit peed off to be honest and this is partly why I'm looking elsewhere and makes ideas that they may be somehow more helpful with a more serious fault as suggested seem extremely doubtful.

Regarding their included breakdown cover, you can find that for about £25/yr according to this website.

So I'm still undecided, I suppose its one of those things where opinions may vary...

Thanks again to all for the helpful advice though!
    It's not pro-Ford, Motorguy is just making a point regarding dealer contributions in the event of 'just out of warranty' major unexpected and unlikely fault events.

Not saying I agree with it, as in my experience getting manufacturers and main dealers to deal with things properly even when still under warranty is bloody difficult, but...
  • dom272
    dom272 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Yes, that's what I thought.

Also, even if Ford dealer offered a "discount" on major repairs isn't it one of those cases where it would still be cheaper with a more fairly priced identical option elsewhere?
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A friend has a Fiesta and when the A/C packed up they found several faults and said it needed a complete new unit.
    The car was bought, S/H from a main dealer who did every service and MOTs.
    The garage put a case to Ford who paid for about 75% of a new unit and the garage paid for the labour, all because the car had full Ford service history.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Nope, i dont own a Ford (Porsche, Mercedes and MGZT currently), havent owned a Ford in decades, i dont work for Ford or a Ford dealer, and i dont know anyone who works for Ford or a Ford dealer. :D

You asked for advice, and speaking as ex motor trade, thats the advice i would give anyone with a car the age of yours - including my son for that matter. He bought his BMW 120D @ 3 years old and i suggested he keep it serviced by BMW (particularly as that 20D engine is prone to timing chain snapping!)

You could substitute and brand in there and i'd have said the same thing.
  • motorguy
    A friend has a Fiesta and when the A/C packed up they found several faults and said it needed a complete new unit.
    The car was bought, S/H from a main dealer who did every service and MOTs.
    The garage put a case to Ford who paid for about 75% of a new unit and the garage paid for the labour, all because the car had full Ford service history.

Bingo!

Exactly my point! :beer:
  • motorguy
    Yes, that's what I thought.

Also, even if Ford dealer offered a "discount" on major repairs isn't it one of those cases where it would still be cheaper with a more fairly priced identical option elsewhere?

My dads Ibiza has had two new engines fitted under warranty.

He could have chosen to get it serviced elsewhere and saved a few £ but i'm not sure SEAT would have so readily crated up a new engine each time and had it sent over for fitting by the local dealer.

Minor repairs its not worth fighting over, but these days a fuel pump, set of injectors, DPF, DMF, turbo or a major electronic item could cost £,£££, no matter whos doing the work.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    I also had an experience of manufacturer/dealer contribution because I had a full main dealer service history. My Mazda6 diesel suffered a stretched timing chain (not an uncommon failure). The cost of repair at the main dealer was £900. Despite being 18 months and 26,000 miles outside the warranty period I got a 50% contribution. They specifically said that the contribution resulted solely from me having a full Mazda service history.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My car seems to be performing better and the mpg has increased which leads me to believe that it may have had a software update - would that have happened with a non dealer garage ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure