Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JDunning7
    JDunning7 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    JDunning7 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I organised a lads holiday to Tenerife in June/July 2007, our return flight was delayed by 5 hours, due to 'technical problems' with the aircraft.

At the time it was a MyTravel flight, so I've drafted up a letter, and am sending it off to Thomas Cook :)

Not too sure what to expect, I've read through a few pages of this Forum Thread, and there doesn't seem to be many success stories! Lol.

I will keep you posted on any developments.

Jonny.

Thomas Cook are saying that they can't find the records of my flight, because it was a MyTravel flight (Thomas Cook bought out MyTravel). Surely the have a legal obligation here? It's not fault they "can't find" the details!? Thoughts anyone?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thomas Cook are saying that they can't find the records of my flight, because it was a MyTravel flight (Thomas Cook bought out MyTravel). Surely the have a legal obligation here? It's not fault they "can't find" the details!? Thoughts anyone?

try the thomas cook thread
  • Grumpycat
    Grumpycat Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the following:
    Me and my partner we're returning to Southend airport from Venice when our easyjet flight was cancelled due (we were told a wheel on a light aircraft had come off so they had to close the runway). The treatment we received was appaling, we were not kept up to date and after about 4 hours we finally got booked onto another flight the following afternoon from Bologna to Gatwick but were told we'd have to fund our way there and claim the money back, we were also told a hotel would be provided for that night once everyone was booked on new flights. At around midnight all the easyjet staff went home. We were left in the airport with no food, drink or means to stay warm, by about 4am the airport manager was located and obviously a lot of people kicked off. We were then given a bin liner to keep warm and a food voucher which gained us a capuccino and a doughnut each. We were given no water or accommodation and I feel this treatment was appalling.
    I have written to easyjet and complained requesting the 250 euro each compensation along with our additional travel and food costs. They replied saying they could give us the costs to change airports but no compensation as the flight cancellation was not their fault and they are escalating our claim for additional petrol costs from the changce of return airport.
    Can anyone suggest what we could do now? I had a feeling they were going to say it was an extraordinary circumstance but then why did they say we'd get overnight accommodation? And why would the staff treat us so bad - I feel that in itself deserves compensation regardless of the flight cancellation - any views??
    Any advice is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long story!!!
    Thanks
  • Caz3121
    edited 15 March 2013 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Grumpycat wrote: »
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the following:
    Me and my partner we're returning to Southend airport from Venice when our easyjet flight was cancelled due (we were told a wheel on a light aircraft had come off so they had to close the runway). The treatment we received was appaling, we were not kept up to date and after about 4 hours we finally got booked onto another flight the following afternoon from Bologna to Gatwick but were told we'd have to fund our way there and claim the money back, we were also told a hotel would be provided for that night once everyone was booked on new flights. At around midnight all the easyjet staff went home. We were left in the airport with no food, drink or means to stay warm, by about 4am the airport manager was located and obviously a lot of people kicked off. We were then given a bin liner to keep warm and a food voucher which gained us a capuccino and a doughnut each. We were given no water or accommodation and I feel this treatment was appalling.
    I have written to easyjet and complained requesting the 250 euro each compensation along with our additional travel and food costs. They replied saying they could give us the costs to change airports but no compensation as the flight cancellation was not their fault and they are escalating our claim for additional petrol costs from the changce of return airport.
    Can anyone suggest what we could do now? I had a feeling they were going to say it was an extraordinary circumstance but then why did they say we'd get overnight accommodation? And why would the staff treat us so bad - I feel that in itself deserves compensation regardless of the flight cancellation - any views??
    Any advice is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long story!!!
    Thanks

You would be better posting on the Easyjet thread
    I think you will find that compensation will not be due as the closing of the runway is not the airlines fault
    This does not negate the requirement for their duty of care so you would be reimbursed for your overnight accommodation and meals and the costs to get you back to Southend

edit: as you did not incur hotel accommodation costs you have nothing to reclaim here. I would suggest a letter of complaint about the treatment but not expect any more than an apololgy
  • don_quiote
    don_quiote Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    The more of these threads I read the more and more confused I get. This law has been running in Europe for 7 or 8 years now, are they having as much agro as Thomas Cook or Monarch victims are? My question is, how long after an incident declared as ec can an airline continue to hide behind this claim. Say I was flying from Gatwick to Malaga, and the flight was delayed for say six hours. OK the luckless passengers in Malaga are going to be delayed for a similar time, on arrival back in Gatwick, the plane would be scheduled to fly on somewhere else etc. How many flights would they be allowed to claim were effected in this way?
  • Caz3121
    Options
    don_quiote wrote: »
    The more of these threads I read the more and more confused I get. This law has been running in Europe for 7 or 8 years now, are they having as much agro as Thomas Cook or Monarch victims are? My question is, how long after an incident declared as ec can an airline continue to hide behind this claim. Say I was flying from Gatwick to Malaga, and the flight was delayed for say six hours. OK the luckless passengers in Malaga are going to be delayed for a similar time, on arrival back in Gatwick, the plane would be scheduled to fly on somewhere else etc. How many flights would they be allowed to claim were effected in this way?

only the one that was affected by weather etc. A "we are delayed because the flight that is operating this flight was delayed earlier/coming from somewhere else that has bad weather" is not an allowable defence
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you buy a company, you buy all the assets and liabilities of that company so they cannot escape liability. I don't know what the legal picture is regarding keeping records of passenger manifests, but it is probably quite a time. You should be able to get the exact time and date plus delay from flight stats, then I would suggest it is up to Mr Thomas Cook to prove you weren't on the flight
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If you have the other evidence of purchasing 'the service', ie flights, and also the flight number and dates, then you are clear to now issue a NBA (look in the FAQ's).
    They shouldn't be able to defend a court claim if they don't have any records, eh?

What did you write them in the first place?
    You should have been applying for compensation, cut and dried. So it's a nonsense reply, you didn't ask them, and couldn't care a less what records they have.
  • Bigeyesjo
    Options
    Can anyone help, my flight was delayed and then cancelled in july 2009, total delay was 18hrs, flight was Ibiza to Manchester, received a letter this morning from Thomson advising they only go back 2 years, is this correct and if not what do I do next?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a good read of the Thomson thread, Bigeyesjo. There's lots of relevant info there.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback