PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• Happy Birthday PK !

Frith - hope this evening goes well for younger son & friend

Mhags - great news about DD change of school

Have not been sleeping very well this week so feel really tired tonight

1. thank crunchie its Friday :j

2. had a brisk walk before it got dark - good to stretch my legs after sitting all day

3. watching a bird trying to get a worm on my lawn - not sure what bird it was looked a bit like a lady blackbird but had white tips on wings.... any ideas CCP ?

4. cup of tea and kit kat ... nom nom

5. did I mention its Friday .... no more work until Tuesday :j

Have a good weekend x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Evening all.

Happy birthday PK, and I hope your poor puddy tat feels better soon.
    3. watching a bird trying to get a worm on my lawn - not sure what bird it was looked a bit like a lady blackbird but had white tips on wings.... any ideas CCP ?

My guess, without seeing it, would be that it is a lady blackbird, with melanism (loss of pigment in the feathers). I seem to remember that it's particularly common in blackbirds.

My pleasures for yesterday:
    1) My manager was out of the office at meetings for most of the day, so I didn't feel the need to be even slightly discreet about spending the morning finishing the first draft of my second ghost story, and the afternoon entering competitions.
    2) It was freezing in the office, so I treated myself to a mug of tomato soup with my lunch. :drool:
    3) HM biscuits LO from one of the meetings in #1 found their way back to the office - more :drool:.
    4) Isis having a mad twenty minutes charging around the flat - on and off the sofa, up and down the hall, in and out of the bedroom, on and off the sofa again - before collapsing, exhausted, onto her beanbag. :rotfl:
    5) I was actually looking forward to going to the pub quiz, for the first time in ages, rather than making myself go as I know it's good for me to go out. Giving in to the suggestion of a shot of toffee vodka at the end of the evening probably wasn't a good idea, though. :o

And for today:
    1) I actually had some work to do at work. :shocked: It only took me half an hour or so, but it's considerably more than the nothing I had yesterday.
    2) A return to normal this afternoon, so managed to clear 50+ pages of the comps board.
    3) Finally managed to clear a level of Candy Crush that I've been stuck on for the past couple of weeks. :j
    4) No more work for 9 days - I'm off to Birmingham next week. :j:j:j:j:j (Have I mentioned that already? ;))
    5) Feeling in the mood for a lazy takeaway evening, and a voucher for 241 on pizzas popped into my inbox. Nice timing! :money:
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Happy Birthday PK xxx
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Evening all :)

PK, Happy Birthday from me as well. :bdaycake: This one's for breakfast tomorrow morning. :D

Five pleasures for Friday:

1. Very quiet low key day today. Popped to the shop (less than 2 minutes away) for a couple of things, brought in some washing, collected an armful of logs... apart from that I haven't been outside.

2. More time spent sorting papers in front of the fire.

3. Good results from one of our young athletes who was competing today.

4. Egg and chips plus very good tomato salad for supper.

5. Restarted the vegbox for over Christmas - I'm back on the buy three get fourth free deal again. :)

Sweet dreams
    B x
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Happy birthday, PK!

Pleasures for today:

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Sons off to school happily.

3) Mum now wants a family tree for her birthday (20 days time....) so got to work on that. Her family were 200 years in the north east but (amazingly) they came from Staffordshire before that, precisely the same very small town where ancient uncle lives now (other side of the family entirely!)

4) Picked smaller son and his friend up from the founders day service thingy. Got to meet their TA (they share one). It got a bit tense for a while because we had to pick bigger son up then turn round to go to McDonalds. Son's friend has exactly the same thing son has for "Exactly how many miles is it? And how long will that take at the speed we are going at the moment?" The traffic was ridiculous so we were in the car over an hour to do about 15 miles.

By the time we finally got home, I think smaller son had forgotten that he didn't want his friend to come in! So they played on the Wii (lots of laughter) and friend liked the cats and the woodburning stove. Smaller son was all sad when friend went home and said he wants him round again or he will go to his house.

5) Enjoyed watching I'm a Celebrity.

6) The little present bit of my Sinter Klaas project came in the post. I've got my brother this year so I wanted to buy something for his new house, something useful and then I settled on le Creuseut as he might collect it. (every spelling I have done of that looks wrong). Obviously this has to be a £ or 2 so I got him an eggcup! He has built a new, temporary, warn and dry run for his hens in the greenhouse so I thought I might do a poem about that and put the egg cup in a papier mache hen!

Smaller son wanted some help with his (he has bigger son) so we bought some bike lights cheaply from Ebay and will have to think about packaging. I don't know who bigger son has got but he has taken over a drawer with his project.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I hope you had a wonderful day PK, belated happy birthday.

:bdaycake: Saturday teatime cake.

I am so pleased things went well, Frith and that both boys seem to have really enjoyed themselves.

A very unexpected sort of pleasure, my purse, stolen in June, was found in woods locally and has been returned to me, with all cards, long since cancelled apart from useful things like my EHIC card (had forgotten about that).

One thing was missing, and that was my long since replaced bus pass. (Disabled. Not 66 for another 9 years!) So, is someone impersonating me on the buses? The thing is, the passes are never looked at by drivers now, they have a chip that scans you on and the driver never looks at the photo. The photo on mine is from Jan 2010, anyway.
    I had reported it stolen, though so I'm in the clear.

A pleasure was thanking the youngish woman who found and returned the purse to me with a power pack, an external phone battery - a really good one too- that was looking for a new home after I'd reviewed it.
    We have a good mutual friend so I've added her as a friend on FB.
    Will do a list of five when I can gather five. :)
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Glad it went well Frith with younger son and friend.
    Mcculloch29 - good news about your purse strange how things turn up so long after they were stolen.

1. Managed to pay some cheques into the bank.

2. Went to watch rugby - not a good game but good seeing and talking to others who sit near us.

3. Managed to buy a photo album suitable for DS2.

4. Tidied the house.

5. Saw someone I hadn't seen in years and had a chat.
  • Donkeys

My slice was biggers than yours na na.

5 Yep, taken for a ride. Cart hosses. Put my cash on Everton, Man City and Chelsea, and is an age they looked cart horses. I won. Up £3 on the month. Party. Annual visit to punter aranus arena of Causeway, Cribb carried out. In via M&S, down stairs. Dixon no longer there, back up stair, via punter shoppers glued aimless to electronic device. Think, grab, roll of sausage and pop. Not paying that. Walked. Total spend £0.

4 Checked times for the Paddington film next week. Now I ask you, it contains dangerous behaviour. What? Yet my box of oggle, when wanting to see a programme at 5 pm gives me a blood and thunder gore shot it game. Not what I want to see 4OD. Detuned. Knc. Looks like Petter Rabbit then.

3 Yeah, I know DD. Lead footed team. Useless. Guess it will be another season of doldrums then.

2 Nite is 'nother film nite. Last nite was the Greatest Game ever played.

1 Sure way lose your money.
  • Good evening all!

Mcculloch- great news about the purse !

CCP- enjoy your week off x

5 for today

1. Reverbed a penny at the bus stop . That's £6.52 since March just walking the hound - I walk very slowly you see so nothing escapes me :rotfl:

2. OH put the part in the car that the Vee Dub garage said would cost £150 just for the part. Part cost us £9.97 :T He is going to fit the part for the rear doors tomorrow again quoted £150 for that part - cost us just £44....it's due for its MOT in a week or so .

3.Made OH a cottage pie and I made a quorn chilli and put some dark chocolate squares in it from a bar that has been lurking in the kitchen for months . Very nice too.

4. Have DMum's terrier here .DMum said that another dog went for her whilst they were walking round the block . The terrier was nearly killed by a greyhound earlier in the year and this has made her lose her confidence - DMum said when she got home the terrier went straight to my gate to "tell me" all about it ..

5. OH got 2 cauliflowers for £1:50 at our local market each one is the size of Paul Danie*s head -(errr large ) gave one to DMum to share with my sister .

have a good evening all !
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • very wet day here so gave up idea of going to allotment
    instead sorted out all my kitchen cupboards
    planning to make bolster style long cushion for sofa to support my back will crochet cover
    home made soup for dinner tomato with pasta bits in yum
    found some stuff in cupboard not used for ages so putting them on bay of e
    hope every one has good weekend:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills