PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Simplifying household stock and introducing routines

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The other problem was an excess of pasta: lasagna sheets, angel hair, spaghetti, orzo, fuselli, penne, cannelloni. I had to laugh. Some there wasn't enough for a meal so it's just sat in there. It'll be smashed for soup when needed now.
    I just have lasagne sheets, tagliatelle and fusilli. :o And I have a lovely recipe for potato and pasta soup, which "oddments" of broken pasta of any sort can be used in. ;)
    I exclaimed variety as one of the factors of my escalating grocery bills. My son and I didn't need 7 different types of fruit. We can have 2-3 and then pick different ones the following week if wanted.
    *Nods in agreement* I buy my F&V from the market in Central MK, getting as much as I can in the £1 bowls, which are always gi-normous. We usually have bananas (I like the £1 bowls of these because they are always loose - I struggle to separate a banana off a bunch with my arthritic hands) because we have those with our morning bran flakes, and then it's "do you want apples, pears, or something else this week?" to Mr LW. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I find buying larger packs also has that same (lavishness) problem. I mean everyone immediately thinks oh there's lots so I will use more which of course deletes the point of 'buying bigger is cheaper'.
    When we were costco members i used to buy a huge cheese and the men of the family went mad adding vast wedges to their sarnies. I learned to cut it into smaller blocks and hide it wrapped up in the salad drawer or even the freezer.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This thread is so right about people starting new stuff without finishing up the open ones first - it drives me nuts! I think I need to be like a Victorian housekeeper and keep everything locked in a cupboard and have the keys on my belt :p
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    I use Ecover general purpose cleaner for most things which I mix up in a spray bottle. It's the only thing that doesn't set me coughing and it's plenty beefy enough even for the hob (and I am a VERY messy cook). Also gets rid of bathroom grime (think teen daughters with a penchant for fake tan and long baths:eek:) It quite often goes on offer 3 for 2 and there's a farmers' market near us with a stall that will refill the bottles if I am organised enough, which I try to be to cut down on excess packaging.

After using this for a while I recently tried Ecover washing up liquid. I first tried it over a quarter of a century ago when DD1 was born. There's something about becoming a mother that made me suddenly wake up to the effect of the way we live on the environment. However back in those days I think it was heavily based on plain old washing soda and it made my hands so dry they cracked open and wouldn't heal without steroid cream. So I went back to Fairy. But I tried Ecover again recently and was impressed. It cleans well and seems to last longer than Fairy. I think because it's slightly less thick and gloopy and you can squeeze out a smaller amount
    I like Ecover laundry stuff, works out on a par with the main big brands and doesnt make DH or me itch like mad as we both have psoriasis. Their fabric conditioner is the best Ive ever used, smells great but as you say, its not really thick so you only use a wee bit. I use their toilet cleaner too, does a good job but I will confess to using a bit of bleach once a week.
    Cleaning products I use are dettol spray for sinks, worktops etc and a plant sprayer with a mix of vinegar & water for mirrors, glass, tiles etc. Stardrops for floors. DH has a pechant for wipes which I loathe and never use. He buys them, I hide them!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jintyb wrote: »
    I like Ecover laundry stuff, works out on a par with the main big brands and doesnt make DH or me itch like mad as we both have psoriasis.

My eldest has terrible eczema from head to toe, and ecover non bio liquid is the only product I can wash his clothes in that doesn't set him off although I do run the machine again with just water to make sure the clothes are well rinsed.
  • Planning_ahead
    Options
    This weekend I am going to review the air fresheners, plug ins, melts and candles. I find that having so many different ones it is starting to get on my chest. Planning on using less of the noxious ones and using fresh air and essential oils instead.
    I have
    3 x types of plug ins
    5 aerosol air fresheners
    2 oil /melt burners
    A multitude of candles
    Febreese
    Incense sticks

Why?
    When i can just open a window and use a few drops of essential oil and will be better for my breathing
    :j:£12,000 / £28,000 Mortgage free date planned May 2023 Actual mortgage free date June 2030
    Retirement date planned May 2023
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can tell you why. Marketing and pretty packaging :D which is fine for the manufactures as they are only doing their job. Which they clearly have :D;)

However, fresh air is better as you said. We are out at work all day and the windows go open before 7.00 am and closed at 5.30 pm when we get home.
    They are opened at weekend but close earlier when it feels cooler.

I am sure I can smell the fresh air when I go into the bedroom.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My eldest has terrible eczema from head to toe, and ecover non bio liquid is the only product I can wash his clothes in that doesn't set him off although I do run the machine again with just water to make sure the clothes are well rinsed.

My daughter was the same - using a 1/3 distilled vinegar to 2/3 water mix as fabric conditioner really helped.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I too use all purpose Method Fuddle. Great stuff.
  • Bumblebear
    Options
    To the "more experienced" generation who don't like the choice in supermarkets, DH and I are in our early 30s and have the exact same problem. Many is the time I've got myself in a flap after making a few "definite" decisions, only to change my mind, that I walk away with nothing because it's easier. I'm another advocate of the smaller Aldi and Lidl - I think Aldi has the best choice:needs ratio. My only grumble is they don't stock vegetable stock cubes!

Simplicity is definitely something I'm aiming for this year. I'm using up all my toiletries, cleaning products and kitchen cupboards before buying more. We will always have some "duplicates" that are unavoidable, I have sensitive skin and need to avoid certain ingredients in toiletries, am a veggie and I'm lactose intolerant; he eats fish, loves dairy, and could wash in battery acid. And neither of us want what the cat has...
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family