5:2 Diet (part II)

This is a continuation of the previous 5:2 Diet thread for all those who are following, or interested in, the 5:2 Diet and intermittent fasting.

The previous thread is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4115289

For those who don't know about the 5:2 Diet, the original Horizon study is linked here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

The principle being that 2 days a week you eat a restricted calorie diet (500 for women, 600 for men). On the remaining 5 days you eat normally - but heathily.

Intermittent fasting, including the 5:2, has only really been studied for a couple of years so long-term health impacts aren't fully know but a number of studies so far suggest that eating this way can have significant health benefits including, but not restricted to, weight loss.

In the last year it seems like the 5:2 way of eating has become very widespread - so feel free to discuss, question or join in and record your progress :).
Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015

Comments

• Morning everyone, hope you all manage to find the new thread ok. Normal eating day for me today and doubtless a few little treats over the weekend :)
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good Morning, I am going to be reading the old thread and joining.
    I think my biggest challenge may be selecting my fasting days. I tend to work away from home about 4 days a week so spend a lot of time in airports and hotels
    Lots of reading to do over the weekend and hopefully get in mindset for a start next week - working at home Monday so think will have that as my first day :-)
    Going to also dig out yogalates dvd as my exercise is currently zero!
    Looking to lose about a stone in total so lets see how get on
  • cardi80
    cardi80 Posts: 426 Forumite
    This thread has gone really quiet!

I did my first 2 days back to back fasting this week and it was easier than I imagined! I am going to try and fit in another day this week.
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Well I'm still fasting regularly and still seeing a slow drop in weight.
    I'm now firmly into the "overweight" rather than "obese" category - in spite of a disheartening incident with my wii.

From the beginning I've been weighing myself on the wii using a battery pack, I had to leave the battery pack plugged in as it doesn't hold a charge any more. After Christmas (and after my post-Christmas weigh-in), I switched to real batteries and immediately started weighing in at 4lbs more :cry:

However, I decided to tough it out and take the hit and just keep weighing with batteries as I think it's probably giving a more accurate weight anyway. Now however, I've made up the 4lbs and a couple more besides. My signature is now out of date, and my overall count of lbs lost is 4lb short, but I'm still ticking along :).

In other 5:2 news, my OH has been so impressed with how simple I've found things and how much happier/healthier I seem to be that he's started doing the 5:2 as well last week. Tomorrow we will both be fasting.
  • cardi80
    That is an amazing weight loss in your signature. Is it all from 5:2?
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    cardi80 wrote: »
    That is an amazing weight loss in your signature. Is it all from 5:2?
    Most but not all.

I had already lost about 28lbs before I started 5:2 but stalled for the best part of a year. I started 5:2 last August and have lost the rest since then, although I also do a fair amount of exercise and eat healthily on feed days. I only update it every 10lbs, and (hopefully!) should be updating it next week to 70lbs off :j

I genuinely can't describe how much difference it has made to my life and feeling of wellbeing.
  • cardi80
    That is amazing. Well done! :T
  • am well Miffed I have gone from 8.7 to 8,12 n 1/2 since beg jan:eek:
    It probably my fault haven't been able to exercise much and cant go for a walk
    my medication has been increased an I have to take it

not saying I haven't on my non fast days that I haven't had a bis or half scone I have but have not been filling my face

please help me get back into this so mad with myself :mad:how daft is that? I can not move without excruciating pain having a relapse no idea how long will last

I don't want to keep putting on and I don't no what to do
    love lillie_put
  • Hello, I'd like to join this thread if that's ok?

I quit smoking three and a half years ago and piled on a huge amount of weight in the six months after quitting. Now it's high time to get my weight down to what it had been my whole adult life apart from the past couple of years - under 10 stone.

I have a ways to go yet (maybe a hint of understatement there :rotfl:) but since starting a 5:2 diet a few weeks ago, it's dropping off pretty regularly at a rate of 1-1.5kg/week which is a pleasant surprise.

I can't say I'm finding it easy, it's certainly a challenge, but I'm inspired by the results so far. I'm fasting Tues/Thurs and weighing in on Friday mornings.

Wow, Angry Bear, those are some figures:T. Amazing:beer:
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Morning. Today is a fast day for me, so I'm having a bowl of tomato soup for lunch and sardines on toast for dinner.
    I wish everyone a good day!
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport