News: Pre-ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note 7? How to return it safely and get a refund

About 15,000 UK customers who pre-ordered the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 have been urged to return the phones immediately after a fire risk was identified with them...
Read the full story:
'Pre-ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note 7? How to return it safely and get a refund'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• So I just called Samsung again, they said UKMail now are not collecting Note 7's and they will be contacting customers in 48h to arrange alternative collections. Not sure I'm happy waiting so long for a refund, wondering what my options are regarding doing a chargeback on my credit card..?

Also, no mention of the accessories I bought for the phone being refunded.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    wondering what my options are regarding doing a chargeback on my credit card..?
    I wouldn't do this if I were you. You have no entitlement to a refund until the goods have been received by Samsung. The likelihood is that Samsung would contest the Chargeback and you'd find the Bank clawing back the refund shortly after crediting you.

As for accessories you may have purchased, Samsung are under no obligation to refund you these unless they are faulty. Surely you'll be able to use them on your next 'phone?
  • I spoke to Barclaycard who have said that they think I've got grounds to claim a chargeback as Samsung haven't given me an option to return the phone due to no couriers now taking it. If they've sold me a product that is so dangerous, and given me no timetable for a refund, then I don't see what my options are other than to sort it myself outside of Samsung's inadequate internal processes.

Also, they're not making or selling the Note 7 anymore. How am I to use the £30 case I bought for it on another phone which is a different shape and size? Additionally, the Qi charger and USB-C cables will be useless on the iPhone I intend to get once I have my £739 back.
  • I spoke to Barclaycard who have said that they think I've got grounds to claim a chargeback as Samsung haven't given me an option to return the phone due to no couriers now taking it.
    As I said above, by all means proceed with the Chargeback but don't be surprised when Samsung dispute this because you still have the item in your possession and the Chargeback is suddenly reversed.
    Wait until Samsung set up a proper recall. You won't be left out of pocket for long.
  • Yeah I have read it out somewhere else, but I wonder how this can happen, while Samsung is the leading market brand and they would have a strong quality assurance standards, then why this was not identified while the making of this phone? After all, they have a team of professionals. The time I read this news just blow my mind and got in a state of shock. I think Samsung needs to revise their quality standards, because incidents like these can put a black spot, in fact, it can desperately damage the value and goodwill of a company.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I see that Samsung shops advertise only premium rate 0843 phone numbers.

Anyone who has incurred premium charges phoning a Samsung shop with an after-sales enquiry has the right to a refund of the call costs:
    http://legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/41/made
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport