Cancel TV licence?

Comments

• ssedd
    ssedd Posts: 94 Forumite
    My understanding is that you need a license if your equipment (tv) is capable of receiving a tv signal; if you disconnected your ariel it would still be capable of receiving a signal. I did hear that someone was able to get round this by removing the ariel input from the back of the tv so the tv wasnt capable of having an ariel plugged into it.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ssedd wrote: »
    My understanding is that you need a license if your equipment (tv) is capable of receiving a tv signal; if you disconnected your ariel it would still be capable of receiving a signal. I did hear that someone was able to get round this by removing the ariel input from the back of the tv so the tv wasnt capable of having an ariel plugged into it.

As loaner said, your understanding is wrong. It's a really simple concept if you look at the actual rules. You need a licence for using equipment to watch or record broadcast TV. Ignore all the urban myths people seem to want to propogate. I suggest you go read the TV licensing site itself. Even though they're by definition biased about trying to get you to buy a licence every THEY don't say you need a licence for merely owning a working TV. The whole "no tuner", "detuned", "no aerial connection" stuff people spout is pure rubbish and based on nothing other than "cos my mate who knows told me" and other such typical urban myth sources.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bryanb wrote: »
    It is perfectly possible to detect an operating TV.

But as far as I am aware it is not admissable as actual evidence. For it to be considered as evidence the TVLA would have to disclose the technology used to detect the TV, from which a "jammer" could probably be made. To my knowledge no one has ever been prosectuted with evidence from a TV detector van, most probably because they don't exist.

And how is it people are still confused (no offence meant) about when they need a licence. There are so many threads on so many forums that you can't move for the correct advice. You don't need a licence to have a TV, the TVLA just assumes that everyone a) has a tv and b) uses it to watch programmes as they are broadcast. You only need a licence if you watch (or record) programmes as they are broadcast. Rather ammusingly if you use the BBC iPlayer you don't need a licence.
  • all_change
    all_change Posts: 118 Forumite
    From the OP:
    I have one paper licence which covers the year from my moving in and they haven't sent me anything else since.
    When I have phoned to change details or move house, I have been told that the details are updated on their system but that they won't send you a new paper licence. I always write on my licence what has changed and the date that it was changed for my own records.
    Considering they're pretty much taking the money without my permission (I certainly never said 'hey, just take my money forever', I just asked for ONE licence) can I just cancel the Direct Debit without informing them?
    I have a nasty feeling that something in their T+C about DD payments being ongoing until you stop them.

HTH
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When the nasty letters start coming, you can just chuck them away. You do not need to waste the cost of a postage stamp or phone call telling them you have no need for a telly licence (in the same way you do not need to tell the DVLA if you don't drive).

They will threaten to send someone round. Again, that is more than likely just bluff. And remember to come into your house, they need a warrant, which a magistrate is highly unlikely to grant on the sole basis of (a) not appearing on their database and (b) not co-operating with TVLA. If they turn up on your doorstep, tell them to get lost. If they claim to have a warrant, then tell them to fetch a police officer. Do not tell them anything else - they have as much right to know any of your details as the paperboy.

Additionally write to them tell them you are "withdrawing their implied right of access".If they turn up after removing this access, then you have a case for harrassment. There are template letters and further advice on this on the BBC resistance forum.
  • Will be interesting to see what happens now that BBC1 and BBC2 are to be streamed live online for for free. I choose not to own a TV but I have a PC and a laptop. I have no intention of watching the live streaming, but I occassionally use iplayer to download and watch later. Will everyone who has no TV but owns a desktop /laptop need a licence now?

In the last flat I rented the flat came with a TV - although I was quite happy to store the TV in the boxroom where the owner stored their stuff (as I did not want the TV) I was under the impression that becasue you had a TV in the house (even if unplugged and packed in a cardboard box!) you still had to have a licence. They sent several threatening letters so I just paid the licence and left the TV in the lounge.
    Now I have moved into a flat with no TV can I claim a refund for the 6 months from when I moved at the end of October until next April? Or will I be unable to cancel and claim a refund due to owning a laptop and a PC?
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    bryanb wrote: »
    It is perfectly possible to detect an operating TV.
    But not to tell if it's watching TV or a DVD - either way in court they wont provide calibration logs to prove the equipment works so it's inadmissible - if they even exist!
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • fiddiwebb
    fiddiwebb Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    Interesting thread, let us know what the outcome is.

As far as I was aware you need a license if your tv or computer equipment is able to recieve a broadcast signal. it doesn't matter if you don't watch anything and you unplug the aerial the tv is still built to recieve a signal.

The only way I can think you possibly could get round this is to get rid of your tv and buy a monitor which you can connect a dvd player too.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    fiddiwebb wrote: »
    Interesting thread, let us know what the outcome is.

As far as I was aware you need a license if your tv or computer equipment is able to recieve a broadcast signal. it doesn't matter if you don't watch anything and you unplug the aerial the tv is still built to recieve a signal.

The only way I can think you possibly could get round this is to get rid of your tv and buy a monitor which you can connect a dvd player too.

This has been discussed many many times. You're actually wrong. You only need a TV License to watch or record broadcast TV. The TV license has nothing to do with actually owning equipment. You could have TVs, freeview box etc and you don't need a TV license merely for owning them and even having them plugged in. The TV license is for HOW you use your equipment. Even the TV Licensing Authority's own website gives this information so it's not merely a matter of opinion.

Because of this you do NOT need a license for iPlayer but you will need one if you make use of live feed broadcasts online such as the recent BBC annoucement mentioned by competitionscafe.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • fiddiwebb
    fiddiwebb Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    Ah, very confusing.

According to the tvlicensing.co.uk they say:

Do I need a TV Licence?

spacer.gifspacer.gifgrey.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifYou need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure