holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

Options

Comments

• Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, apologies for bumping this thread but I'm soon to be made redundant and have a relevant question.

I want to use part of the payout to spend something between 6-8 weeks traveling in South East Asia. My job was fairly high-paying, so I would not expect to find suitable work in the coming months (I plan to travel at the end of September) but when I do go away can I legitimately still claim JSA and therefore claim my mortgage payment insurance, or should I budget for having to sign off and pay those weeks out of my own pocket?

Many thanks!
    How can you claim JSA if you won't be in the country looking for work :confused:
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • ScittyPopBicks
    Options
    When i was on JSA, i went on holiday and got paid for it still... they just told me to fill in the holiday form and sign saying i will still look for work.

Maybe depends on how stubborn some of them are.
  • Zara33
    Options
    When i was on JSA, i went on holiday and got paid for it still... they just told me to fill in the holiday form and sign saying i will still look for work.

Maybe depends on how stubborn some of them are.
    6-8 weeks is some holiday ;)
    Hit the snitch button!
    Feel the love baby!
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Take the holiday if you can afford it. You might not get the chance to travel like that again x
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • Zara33
    Options
    Take the holiday if you can afford it. You might not get the chance to travel like that again x
    If they can afford it is the bit that needs highlighting here the OP is expecting to travel for 6-8 weeks on their payout and still expect to claim JSA and get their mortgage insurance paying out also. :rolleyes:
    Hit the snitch button!
    Feel the love baby!
  • Jomo
    Jomo Posts: 8,253 Forumite
    Options
    Well cheeky:confused:
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there, apologies for bumping this thread but I'm soon to be made redundant and have a relevant question.

I want to use part of the payout to spend something between 6-8 weeks traveling in South East Asia. My job was fairly high-paying, so I would not expect to find suitable work in the coming months (I plan to travel at the end of September) but when I do go away can I legitimately still claim JSA and therefore claim my mortgage payment insurance, or should I budget for having to sign off and pay those weeks out of my own pocket?

Many thanks!

This has to be a Troll - how could anyone expect the taxpayer to fund them whilst on Holiday and not actively seeking work (in any circuumstances!)
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • beckiepepp
    Options
    Hi. I need some clarifcation for a friend of mine. He has been on JSA for a while and has missed signing on a couple of times in the last year due to sickness. He has just returned from a family funded holiday and claims he has been told he has missed signing on 3 times in a year so his claim has been cancelled and he cant reclaim for 13 weeks. Is this correct as is sounds like total rubbish to me! As far as I know he didnt sign off before going away (naughty I know) and he accepts that he wont receive the JSA for the 2 weeks he was away but he should surely be able to resign on immediately??? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    As I understand it sanctions can be anywhere between 1 week and 26 weeks.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2009 at 12:44PM
    Options
    If claiming a means tested benefit such as JSA allows enough money to go on holiday abroad for 2 weeks, then something is VERY wrong:

Either.
    1. You have savings that you have lied about it
    or
    2. You really do work and are commiting fraud.

So many people say that JSA isnt enough to live on yet some people can find enough from their JSA to take a 2 week hoilday abroad.

JSA claiming means you are available and looking for work. Sorry but you can't be if you sod off abroad for a fortnight so therefore you should be entitled to sweet FA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure