holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

Comments

• jenpoptab
    jenpoptab Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    If you are going abroad you are required to sign off, even if it is for a day or more. You then need to make a new claim when you return, remember to book new claims appointment before you go away so ther is no delay for appointment.

If you are staying in UK you can complete a holiday form. This allows you up to two weeks away and then you need to sign on the day after you get back ( as agreed with jobcentre ), If your son goes into jobcentre they will get him to complete ES674 form. N.B. He will need to complete a full address of where he is staying in this country and address of someone he will be in touch with whilst on hols.

This information should be correct unless any of it has changed in last 13 weeks, as I am currently on maternity leave from working at a Jobcentre.
    WW Gold Member, trying to maintain !!!
    Hayden born July 07
    Tabitha born April 05
    Poppy born July 03
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    I took a much needed (free) break to Spain whilst claiming JSA, I simply arranged the flights around my signing on days. If this is not possible, phone them on the morning that your son is due to sign and say that he is ill in bed with flu (or some such). I do think it is unfair that he should have to go through the rigmarole of signing off and on again (especially as this will probably delay any payments) if he is merely taking a family holiday for a week.
  • ok

The JSA rules say you are allowed 2 weeks holiday a year as a jobseeker. This is enshrined in the Social Security Regulations.

You ARE allowed to go abroad for your holiday without loss of benefit, provided you stay within the European Economic Area.

You ARE allowed to be deemed actively seekign work for this period, and therefore do not need to sign on.

you MUST ensure you can make yourself available for work, if work is offered, within 48 hours of the offer.

HTH, HAND
  • voddyman
    voddyman Posts: 146
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    my son has been back at the dss today and has been told that he will definetly have to sign off and then do a rapid resign back on when he returns from holiday :mad: i have phoned them up myself and been told the very same...when i said that i thought you were allowed to go abroad and still be able to stayed signed on...i was told thats not the case anymore as the rules have changed...you are only allowed to holiday in the uk....just thought i'd let you all know incase anyone else was in a similar situation....but a big thankyou to all who replied to my post :T
    :D voddyman
  • camper
    camper Posts: 120 Forumite
    Sorry Benefitmaster but you are wrong.

JSA rules state that all claims MUST be closed if the claimant goes abroad UNLESS it is for an interview, of which proof is given beforehand, and three days max allowed. Two weeks are allowed in the UK, only if an address and telephone number is given. And I can confirm that in my jobcentre all phone numbers given are rang during the first week, this may not be the case in all jobcentres though.
    You can refuse the have the claim closed if going abroad, in that case the papers are sent to the Jobcentre Decision makers to decide if benefit should or could be paid. Its never happened in my Jobcentre, so have no idea on the result.
  • jenpoptab
    jenpoptab Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Yes benefit master, you can go for interview abroad but not holiday.

I've worked at Jobcentre for 8 years and this has always been the case, and I've worked in more than 1 JCP.
    WW Gold Member, trying to maintain !!!
    Hayden born July 07
    Tabitha born April 05
    Poppy born July 03
  • reelcrazy
    reelcrazy Posts: 408 Forumite
    I used to say I was going camping in Wales for a few days and was phoning home daily to see if any jobs were in the local papers / interview letters had arrived etc. I never had any trouble.
  • Peter-Pan_5
    Peter-Pan_5 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Well if you cant go on holiday,why dont you go on the sick,and you can do what you want if you have a Doctors line or do you have to tell the DWP that to !!!
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Realist wrote:
    You are allowed to go on holidays while receiving JSA. Inform the office and they will make arrangments for him to sign early.

You used to be able to go on holiday for a week in the UK but if you were going for longer or going abroad you had to sign off, that was in the mid 80's when I worked for the Dept of Employment, not sure if things have changed but it seems fair, if you are not available for work you don't get JSA.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • zodiac
    zodiac Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    My dad was told he wasn't sure so we came back last year over night from Norfolk so he could sign on. He's got a job now and been told he gets a bonus payment for not missing a signing on in the time he was with the job centre. Its only about £100 buy any money is greatfully recieved
    I remember when this was just a little website! :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport