PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer - paranoid about job loss

I am new to the forum so hello.

I am a first time buyer and have been employed by my employer for three years. I am using the help to buy scheme to purchase a new build which will complete in summer of next year. Exchange is like to be in January. Based on my current salary, the help to buy application was accepted and the bank has made a mortgage in principle for me and this together will finance the acquisition.

However, things have been quiet at work for the last few months (and getting worse) however there have been no discussions about redundancies, the 'feel' of the place just seems odd lately and I am not sure how sustainable it is to have a declining work stream and workers not really doing much. What I am saying is that whilst there haven't been confirmations of redundancies, I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they either manage people out or into different roles or make cuts, but I could just be being paranoid.

I have to pay the 5 per cent deposit to the sellers within the next month and have already instructed lawyers to take on my case.

I would be grateful if someone could explain the situation for me in the following scenarios:

1. I am made redundant prior to legal exchange;
2. I am made redundant after legal exchange but prior to completion;
3. I am made redundant after completion.

Also, aside from the job loss issue, when will the formal mortgage offer be made to me? Is that going to be shortly before exchange or at exchange as I understand this can't be more than 6 months before completion. There is going to be a 6 month gap between exchange and completion.

I am also completely aware of my duty to inform a lender of a change in circumstances, although through savings and family help would be able to keep up with mortgage payments at least for a year. Would it be better to simply to take out mortgage protection when the mortgage offer is made (if by then there are still no confirmations of redundancies)?

Would it be best to just find another job now and have something more secure?

Sorry panicking as the ball is roiling now and exchange is in the next 2 months.

Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

1. I am made redundant prior to legal exchange; The lender will not offer you a mortgage
    2. I am made redundant after legal exchange but prior to completion; The lender may offer you a mortgage. However
    a) it is likely to only be valid for x weeks/months after which it will expire and you'll have to re-apply
    b) it is likley to be withdrawn due to redundancy, leaving you contractually obligated to buy, but without the funds to do so. There will be penalties.
    3. I am made redundant after completion.
    You may struggle to meet the monthly motgage payments on your new home.

Also, aside from the job loss issue, when will the formal mortgage offer be made to me? Is that going to be shortly before exchange or at exchange as I understand this can't be more than 6 months before completion. There is going to be a 6 month gap between exchange and completion.
    1) you'd be mad to Exchange without a firm mortgage offer
    20 you'd be mad to agree a Completion date later than the expiry date of your mortage offer

..... Would it be better to simply to take out mortgage protection when the mortgage offer is made (if by then there are still no confirmations of redundancies)?
    This may or may notprotect you. Read the terms very carefully.

Would it be best to just find another job now and have something more secure?
    A secure job is always better than an insecure job!
    I'd be very worried about that long timescale.
  • Thanks for the reply - why would you be worried by the time scale? A lot of new builds have a gap of six months between exchange and completion. I can't really do anything about it.

Is the safest bet here to find alternative employment or negotiate an internal transfer before making the formal mortgage application?
  • G_M wrote: »
    I'd be very worried about that long timescale.
    See above I omitted to quote you
  • G_M
    Thanks for the reply - why would you be worried by the time scale?
    Because your mortgage offer is likely to expire and may not be renewed when you re-apply.

As explained.
    Because your mortgage offer is likely to expire and may not be renewed when you re-apply.

As explained.

If I get the formal mortgage offer for exchange (January) and it's for six months and they complete in June seems fine? Alternatively, the broker has strongly suggested we look at other providers as there may be a provider that can offer a mortgage over six months prior to completion. Not sure if he's just motivated by commission though
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If I get the formal mortgage offer for exchange (January) and it's for six months and they complete in June seems fine?

It is if the building is actually complete in June (and you still have a job by then!), but nobody can guarantee that. And you'll want to make sure you're not tied into the contract beyond the expiry of your mortgage offer - which the builder may or may not accept.
  • G_M
    If I get the formal mortgage offer for exchange (January) and it's for six months and they complete in June seems fine?
    What if bad weather, an electricians strike, a problem with the council Planners or one of 327 other possibilities, means they complete in July instead?
    What if bad weather, an electricians strike, a problem with the council Planners or one of 327 other possibilities, means they complete in July instead?

Well doesn't everybody who purchases a plot on a new build face these risks?

I would clearly have found another job by then. What I am saying is should I look for another job BEFORE exchange and hence have that in place before making formal mortgage application (which I accept I will not be able to count the previous 3 years service in the application). If I change jobs AFTER exchange and find a new one, would I have to re-apply for a mortgage or tell the lender and they could withdraw?
  • Well doesn't everybody who purchases a plot on a new build face these risks?

I would clearly have found another job by then.

Yes they do and no, you cannot guarantee that you would have found another job by then.

What if you complete and then lose your job? Everything in life is a risk - either take it or don't.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    If you're unsure about your job then either start looking for another or think about contingencies.

The biggest worry is that you'll lose your job after exchange and before completion which could mean you're obliged contractually but your mortgage offer would be affected by your change in circumstances. You are taking a bigger risk than some other people with this because 1) you're choosing a new build where the gap between exchange and completion is unusually long, and could still easily get longer - you have no control over this. And 2) you are financing this alone - at least you haven't mentioned a partner. Therefore you haven't got a second salary to fall back on/cover basic costs if the other salary goes.
    You are confident you'll get another job. That's great. But bear in mind timescales. Your job might go a week before completion - before you've had a chance to get a new one - what then? You might get redundancy pay but will the lender still be prepared to proceed?

If you lose your job after completion, perhaps there are ways you can tide yourself over eg rent a room to a lodger, or even rent the whole place and bunk in with someone else for 6 months. Therefore less risk.

My advice would be either find another job ASAP or buy a property which isn't a new build with this 6 month (minimum) lag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure